webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Does anyone else think the pres google maps sucks?
Does anyone else think the pres google maps sucks?

Old 07/05/2009, 11:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

The walking directions for Google Maps on my 800w were decent - from what I recall the transit directions vary by city (I used it in San Francisco Bay Area). As mentioned above, Google Maps is missing (compared to WM6.1 version):

Latitude
Bookmarks
Transit Directions
Streetview
drybear#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 11:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

I dont' say it sucks, because it performs the functions that it has well. It's definitely lacking. It works and isn't broken, so it doesn't suck, but definitely lacking compared to features on other mobile OS's. I had it on my winmo 6.5 phone and the stuff it did was great. I would hope that Google is working with Palm to update this app.
donatom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 12:00 AM   #23 (permalink)

while i'm no iPhone fan whatsoever, I do think my girlfriend's google maps on her iPhone is far better than mine on my pre. It offers nearly the same features as the online google maps version.
Stillen_i30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 12:03 AM   #24 (permalink)

eesucks,

yes, the winmo version was just updated with alot of cool features. street views, a memory of place searched, and a way to log into google and let people in your friends list know where you were.

i personally think that the current google maps version we are seeing was probably written many months ago, if not even a year ago. i'd expect an update to the pre version eventually, google does have a reputation and brand expectation they want to uphold.
Ottoa2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 12:54 AM   #25 (permalink)

I guess I just have no need for some of the things people want in a map. Letting your friends no where you are? I can tell them, if they aren't idiots they will find me. I don't live in a large city either so I guess that would be part of it for me.

On the other hand I am pretty happy with Google Maps as much as I can be. Google Maps has always been somewhat crappy in my area, streets that have been around 5 years are not even on their system, so Google itslef is pathetic in that way. On the Pre though, it works faster for me then it doesn on my home computer, so I like it for that.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 01:01 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieko View Post
Are you sure? I've been playing with Google's walking directions when using Google Transit and I have to say they are just awful! They need to work on getting better information of public buildings (i.e. train stations) and all sorts of things.

Anyway, yes the Google Maps application for the Pre is seriously lacking, but I expect in 6 to 12 months the application will get some serious upgrades. For me the biggest feature that is missing is Google Transit. Los Angeles Metro just launched Google Transit and so now I'm trying to get a temporary iPhone until a Palm OS device gets on Verizon instead of going to Sprint and then switching to Verizon. Oh, I should mention my iPhone broke and I've been using a Samsung dumphone for several months now

I'm not sure if there is a pin dropping feature on the Google Maps application either, I know that was super useful when I used it on the iPhone though.
All I know is that they do a much better job of giving me a direct walking route from point a to point b than the driving directions...
mdmogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 01:26 AM   #27 (permalink)

I think the Google Maps app on the pre is excellent. ALTHOUGH.. It could use a bookmark location and Pindrop function like the iPhone version.
Ben7seven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 01:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
The walking directions for Google Maps on my 800w were decent - from what I recall the transit directions vary by city (I used it in San Francisco Bay Area). As mentioned above, Google Maps is missing (compared to WM6.1 version):

Latitude
Bookmarks
Transit Directions
Streetview
The Pre's google maps at least shows zip codes of addresses, unlike the iphone's.
Old 07/06/2009, 01:42 AM   #29 (permalink)

I'm glad Google Maps is there, but would like to see better integration between it and Palm's address book, as well as the ability to create bookmarks and remember recent locations. (like my iPhone had
PreMium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 01:26 PM   #30 (permalink)

Google Maps shows my location as several blocks off from where I really am. Sprint Nav nails my location. Anyone else had this problem with Goog Maps?
krusenkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 01:40 PM   #31 (permalink)

I agree that it sucks but for totally different reason - I like Google maps traffic view. Easy to see green-yellow-red stretches. I used it daily on my Treo 650. But now on the Pre, I've found it to be less than accurate. Stretches of my daily morning commute that I know to be congested (yellow-red on my 650) are green on the Pre.

The other day before leaving work, I actually compared the Pre app to Google online and there's much more congestion shown online than on the Pre.
bbkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 02:49 PM   #32 (permalink)

Considering the tight integration with google and facebook then its very surprising to see them not blow us away with quality gmaps/facebook apps.

Google maps works fine but is missing features even "dumbphones" have had for a while. And facebook... A weblink? Cmon...
urkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 06:31 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
I dont' say it sucks, because it performs the functions that it has well. It's definitely lacking. It works and isn't broken, so it doesn't suck, but definitely lacking compared to features on other mobile OS's. I had it on my winmo 6.5 phone and the stuff it did was great. I would hope that Google is working with Palm to update this app.
So by lacking you mean...SUCKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
Considering the tight integration with google and facebook then its very surprising to see them not blow us away with quality gmaps/facebook apps.

Google maps works fine but is missing features even "dumbphones" have had for a while. And facebook... A weblink? Cmon...

Wow! If dumbphones have had it for a while, what does that make the Pre? "Stupidphone" or maybe "Retardphone"
klbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 11:42 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
So by lacking you mean...SUCKS!!!

Wow! If dumbphones have had it for a while, what does that make the Pre? "Stupidphone" or maybe "Retardphone"

Someone ban this troll
glamisfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2009, 09:28 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
Can someone enlighten me on whether the Google Maps is implemented better on other systems?

I thought the Google Maps on the Pre was easy to use and had all the features I was looking for.

Also, the Sprint Navigation was implemented very well, it has definitely replaced my Garmin.

As for directions, you can enter any start address and end address you want. Do other platforms allow the user to click on any map location for start and end addresses?
The app is better or worse depending on which phone platform you compare it to. It's basic mapping and gps location function worked as well as any other, it also showed the zip codes when doing a search on locations and addresses which was nice. I like what they did with the app, but yes at the same time it was missing out on many features which other platforms such as the iphone has. Such as choosing how to get directons, by car, by foot, etc. Being able to drop and move pins to mark a location, as well as bookmarking locations, as well as remembering your last location when after exiting and re entering the app. No street view, though no biggie. I was most upset by not being able to drop pins and make bookmarks to track locations. Though the Sprint Navigation did compensate for that difficiency.
Old 07/07/2009, 10:39 AM   #36 (permalink)

Until the Pre's implementation of GMaps catches up to that of other platforms (the version on my E71 was nothing but wow (Transit and walking in San Francisco)), it would at least be nice if we could turn off the browser/app integration on the Pre so as to allow us to use the real, online version if we want to. Trying to do anything in the browser related to GMaps ends up opening the actual application instead, which is extremely frustrating.
bananachunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2009, 11:08 AM   #37 (permalink)

while lacking in features, i feel that google maps on the pre is lightning fast with a quick GPS location. I previously had gmaps on the Touch Pro and while the program had a lot more features (a lot more...) it wasnt nearly as fast as the pre. not even close.
mrsyeltzin is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0