webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > New Apps are finally coming soon?
New Apps are finally coming soon?

Old 07/03/2009, 05:57 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashen View Post
Dude, WebOS is here to stay. we will get all the apps we need in the near future. I look at it like this, which platform has the more potential? I think WebOS and Android have the that won hands down. Androids's devices are ugly. So, the Pre wins by a landslide.

my 2 pennies
yea but rumor has its the hero is coming to sprint.

i prefer to get the Pre. I like the webos but all the hardware stuff has got me nervous and i just want to see what they are doing with apps and updates. I figured the longer i hold out. the better chance i have getting a phone with less of the first gen device problems. its been hard though. i really want to get the Pre already.
prefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 05:59 PM   #42 (permalink)

I really do hope this is true. Palm needs to do 2 things pretty quickly in order to hold on to its users: 1) update the phone and solve some of these basic issues like losing the format of emails when you reply and 2) adding a significant number of applications to compete with those that are luring people to iPhone or keeping others on WM.

Although I agree it's only a 1.0(1.04) version of the phone, the reality is you are stepping into a market with some very mature devices and applications out there: Windows Mobile, iPhone, and the budding Android. I agree that there are issues with each of these platforms, but generally speaking atleast WM and iPhone certainly have a breadth of applications already out there. Apple's been luring a lot of people first by the iPod music connection to now mostly through 3rd party applications being availble....people are not even buying because of the capability of the device...all of the commercials are about 3rd party applications running on the device. And you have everyone from the New York times to Amazon (via the Kindle) writing apps for the device.

I think Palm should seriously consider releasing some of the upcoming big win applications in order to keep those who are purchasing and starting to have some buyer's remorse within the first 30 days and in order to keep the hype for those that are on the fence for luring new customers.

Personally, I am trying (very hard) to be patient and think more will come soon and trying to not compare to my WM/HTC Fuze, which has all of the apps that I need, but a platform and gui that's not great and out of date. I hate switching devices and networks.

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
waynew73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 06:02 PM   #43 (permalink)

More apps to show off means more word of mouth. I show off my phone all the time and the more apps we get the more I'll be able to do that.

As for fart apps, if you are the type to get one chances are the people around you will also like them so lets hope they are better then the Iphones, maybe with a sent feature added
bennyandthesets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 06:12 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cashen:
There will be no visual voicemail unless sprint reaches a deal with the company that owns the patent on it. . .
I'm not so sure about that. MotionApps, the people who provided ClassicApps for the Pre also have mVoice and mVisualvoicemail. Both are great applications and work with Palm OS w/o getting the carrier involved. I'm hoping that they're working on or will soon release their voice recorder- mVoice and their visual voice mail applications for the Pre.
bdhu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 06:12 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
a couple of decent games would be great. just anything more for us to work with
I could work with brickbreaker, snake, or anything of that sort, lol. I don't need any 3d games, but that would be cool too.

@waynew : I'd also add a 3rd thing, which is get video recording or flash. If flash comes to the Pre I would be jumping off my heels.
I think Hulu is what a lot of members here have been wishing for. It would be great.

And to think this would be just in time for many people's 30 days. This could convince them to keep their Pre.
Kedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 06:27 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen76 View Post
I wish Palm and everyone else would stop touting this. It's meaningless. Palm is NOT competing against the Iphone 2 years ago, it is competing against the Iphone and Android TODAY, both of which have an SDK and plenty of apps.

I'll hope that this is remedied soon. Another big win for Palm here would be friendliness to the homebrewers, which I'm already seeing budding. Keep that going and they'll have a huge win once things start going.
The difference between you and Palm is they have to actually do the work and fix present hardware and software issues along with perfecting the SDK, while you are just in here TALKING.

The point being, it obviously takes time to get these things going, just like it did for Apple two years ago. Do you really think the folks at Palm aren't trying their best to get this going? They're probably just sitting around drinking beer waiting for a phone call from some of you brilliant people to point them in the right direction.

But of course, to the IG Me Me generation this is Greek.
GMoney749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 06:29 PM   #47 (permalink)

Did I or did I not say Sunday?
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 06:35 PM   #48 (permalink)

Wow...
runukraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 06:35 PM   #49 (permalink)

[QUOTE=cashen;1729233]There will be no visual voicemail unless sprint reaches a deal with the company that owns the patent on it.

Sprint has already confirmed that visual voicemail is something they are hoping to carry on over to the Pre seeing how successful and wonderful the application was for the Samsung Instinct. It's just a matter of when the feature will be available...

The confirmation was given through the live facebook chat Sprint hosted back in June.
thechosenfew88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 06:36 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
I think we need fart apps.

This way we can compare "Pre's fart apps vs. Iphone fart apps"...

I can see the headlines now.

"Who can fart the best"?

How about.. "To shart or not to shart.. Who blows the best air"...

Hmmmm...?
I mean... wow...
runukraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 07:33 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
The Pre competes today, with what is available now, not two years ago. So no we will keep the pressure on Palm to compete and not just be patient.
So when does the competition begin? Because from my scorecard the Pre hasn't scored a point yet. I'm not talking about what will hopefully happen. I'm talking about right now. Not "When or if we get this app" or "Hopefully when the new update comes it will do this or give us that." That is not competition, that is wishful thinking, guessing & hoping. I have seen all of the wish lists about what we will hopefully be getting and 2 or 3 updates later they haven't given us a thing. Still no apps, games, no video camera, text fwd, voice dialing, tethering...I could go on. So in the name of competition I see no reason for anyone to switch phones just yet because chances are your current phone can run circles around the Pre. Now maybe in a few months or after another WebOs device hits the market yes, but Palm nor anyone else has shown me one useful thing the Pre does that other phones currently on the market can't or haven't been doing. Maybe we need a comparison thread so we can see just how the Pre stacks up to other phones running different OS because call me stupid but after a month with the Pre and reading forums I must have missed somethings.

(Seriously people. It's been a month and I can't even play Solitaire or Texas Hold'Em!)

Last edited by klbjr; 07/03/2009 at 07:44 PM.
klbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 07:36 PM   #52 (permalink)

Facebook App....... NOW!
Old 07/03/2009, 07:47 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy View Post
Did I or did I not say Sunday?
You did, Groovy. I saw it.
wordweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 08:27 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by klbjr:
So when does the competition begin? Because from my scorecard the Pre hasn't scored a point yet. I'm not talking about what will hopefully happen. . .
On the one hand, I'd like to say we've taken a poll and the competition won't start until you leave (ha, ha). On the other hand, people get so sensitive here. But my honest opinion is Palm is intent on surviving, not competing with Apple. They need to perfect the webOS to impress other carriers, additional customers, and developers.

They will review what they developers have put together and make sure some critical and fun applications get out their, but they can't afford to let their focus stray from the main objective: a solid device on a solid platform.

"If you build it, they will come." The applications will come if there is enough customer base and interest. Palm can't go after the iPhone market and apps. They can loosen some of the Blackberry customer base (especially if their new-evidence - my son) and some of the iPhone people will come, because it's such a cool device that's attractive, fun and productive. But they can't go after the it's cool and fun crowd. Apple is two years ahead of the game on that market.

The smart phone market is wide open and since the iPhone is only open for AT & T customers in America, the American market is wide open and with plenty of room. Hundreds, if not thousands of people, are switching from mobile phones to smart phones everyday. Palm wants to survive and take advantage of a market they created, but grew stale in. Palm did not listen to it's customers and wouldn't change course from the Palm OS and a chunky handset.

This is a resurrection for Palm, they need to take advantage of it and not get pulled in by diversions and disruptions. Let the developers, develop. Perhaps even hiring a developer panel to test and review apps. Let Palm's people keep working on perfecting the webOS.
bdhu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 08:33 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
So when does the competition begin? Because from my scorecard the Pre hasn't scored a point yet. I'm not talking about what will hopefully happen. I'm talking about right now. Not "When or if we get this app" or "Hopefully when the new update comes it will do this or give us that." That is not competition, that is wishful thinking, guessing & hoping. I have seen all of the wish lists about what we will hopefully be getting and 2 or 3 updates later they haven't given us a thing. Still no apps, games, no video camera, text fwd, voice dialing, tethering...I could go on. So in the name of competition I see no reason for anyone to switch phones just yet because chances are your current phone can run circles around the Pre. Now maybe in a few months or after another WebOs device hits the market yes, but Palm nor anyone else has shown me one useful thing the Pre does that other phones currently on the market can't or haven't been doing. Maybe we need a comparison thread so we can see just how the Pre stacks up to other phones running different OS because call me stupid but after a month with the Pre and reading forums I must have missed somethings.

(Seriously people. It's been a month and I can't even play Solitaire or Texas Hold'Em!)
Well if you want to play THAT game, there isn't a single thing that the iPhone, up until it got GPS, does or has done that the Treo 755p didn't do before it, except maybe wifi, which is really pretty much a non-issue anyway. And the 755p had a BUNCH of features that the iPhone didn't, and some that it STILL doesn't.

If you're looking for the most functional phone on the market, you won't find the Pre OR the iPhone at the top of the list.

If you're looking for the most innovative, I'd say the Pre and the iPhone are fairly even, with the Pre being in the lead ever so slightly.

A WebOS device with the build quality of the iPhone, and on a network as solid as, say, Verizon, with a reasonable plan price and the iPhone is in for some serious competition.

The whole "gotta have apps" crowd totally ignores the actual functionality of the phone in lieu of just having something new to play with, IMO.

A Facebook app, for instance, is largely pointless on the phone, provided they fix a few things and add a few features in different places in existing WebOS apps.
Gompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: GMoney749
Old 07/03/2009, 09:36 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
So when does the competition begin? Because from my scorecard the Pre hasn't scored a point yet.
as of june 8th, the score was 50,000 to 30

at one point palm got a technical foul so they lost a point... but don't worry, as a team they were able to earn that point back!
mikeybob365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 10:21 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashen View Post
There will be no visual voicemail unless sprint reaches a deal with the company that owns the patent on it.

We can tether now for free . I would pay for it though, but since they don't even offer it....

Google docs online works AWESOME! I will not pay for an upgrade to something we already should have.
I was told by a Palm VP (at a launch day event) that the lack of visual voicemail was 100 percent a technical issue with Palm and nothing to do with Sprint.
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 02:23 PM   #58 (permalink)

Cant wait
platanaso625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 03:55 PM   #59 (permalink)

can't wait for tha apps to start rolling, home brew and all...
neva eva forget 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 06:38 PM   #60 (permalink)

KeePass
Pidgin
NYC Subway Map
Scientific Calculator
xerran is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0