1.    #1  
    I am loving my Pre in general, but one particular thing is really bugging me: The completely unusable mail app. I am using it with both IMAP and Exchange.

Here are the major show-stopping bugs:

1. Extremely slow, especially on the main folder page (It sometimes take 10 seconds for a scroll motion to be detected)
    2. Sometimes does not download some messages, even when on "as arrive"
    3. Manual refresh never works at all, adding to the frustration of #2
    4. Randomly refuses to send a message
    5. No way to re-try to send a failed message
    6. Absolutely no usable error messages or logs to try to tell what went wrong, which happens too often
    7. No way to connect to mail servers that use self-signed SSL certs

These are what I consider major issues that should have been there at launch:

8. No easy way to scroll through hundreds of messages. (There should be a scroll bar at the right, so you can quickly jump around)
    9. Ability to choose to send messages in text mode (I don't really want to send in HTML with a blue font, thank you.)

These are annoyances that they should fix:

10. Ability to choose the font and color when using HTML
    11. Ability to chose a display font size other than Huge, Huger, and Duplo

If Palm can address the majority of these issues, they might be able to have a usable device for email. Otherwise, the mail client is just too buggy and annoying to use.

-Randy
    Add a "mark all as read" ability as well...

I can get 100 emails a day sometimes and often read them on my desktop if I am in the office. I shouldn't have to read every single email to mark it as read.
  3.    #3  
    If you read them on your desktop, then they should sync as read on the Pre. That actually works for me.

The thing that really bugs me is that new messages sometimes do not sync, so I don't know if I have new messages or not. I generally get 50-100 message in my inbox every day, along with a couple hundred messages that are pre-sorted into other folders.

-Randy
    I had email issues with my first Pre. Messages would download and I could scroll through them, but after a certain point my entire inbox would go blank and I would be scrolling through a blank list. I noticed stuttering during scrolling and that it would happen just before the list went blank. I took the Pre back and my second one didn't have the issue. I'm guessing it was a CPU or memory corruption during scrolling that caused it.

You seem to be having different issues, but it might be worthwhile trying a different Pre to see if it behaves the same. Maybe even one in a Sprint store? Then you can run the "full erase" function after to get rid of your palm profile.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    it needs the ability to collapse folder trees. I have 100+ folderds in my exchange box and it take a long time to scroll them..
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ch0de_Stl View Post
    it needs the ability to collapse folder trees. I have 100+ folderds in my exchange box and it take a long time to scroll them..
    Add that to this list definitely!
    I guess this mail app is really designed for Gmail because I am having a very different experience. Gmail is lightning fast, scrolling is very fast, folders collapse. Its the best mail app I've ever used, better than chatter.

I hate Microsoft and I hate exchange.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I guess this mail app is really designed for Gmail because I am having a very different experience. Gmail is lightning fast, scrolling is very fast, folders collapse. Its the best mail app I've ever used, better than chatter.

but subfolders don't push (send notifications) unless opened - would need that to come close to Chatter in my opinion
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

As do I. That is why we use the Zimbra server. Works great.

-Randy
    I think you all have either 1: misconfigured mail servers or 2: misconfigured something else.

Mine is fine both in EAS and Gmail sync. NO functional issues. there could be a few better features, but that is not the same thing as not getting emails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    I think you all have either 1: misconfigured mail servers or 2: misconfigured something else.

Mine is fine both in EAS and Gmail sync. NO functional issues. there could be a few better features, but that is not the same thing as not getting emails.
    Same for me. No functional issues with e-mail. I use Exchange and two IMAP accounts.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    Both servers work fine with every other client. This includes numerous different clients for different users. Never had any issues with any of it until the Pre.

Seems odd that I would all of a sudden have problems with 2 completely different servers using different server software. Much more likely that the only common thing (The Pre email program) is simply very poorly written.

-Randy
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zesta View Post
    These are annoyances that they should fix:

10. Ability to choose the font and color when using HTML
    11. Ability to chose a display font size other than Huge, Huger, and Duplo

-Randy
    Besides the inability to forward attachments (even after downloading them from the server) and attaching forwarded messages as a .eml file as opposed to forwarding the chain within the body of the email, the font issue is one of my biggest gripes with the Pre's handling of Exchange accounts. I would MUCH rather just send in plain text than have my responses from my Pre show up in the stupid large font it does. Gmail seems to handle the font better but whenever I look at an Exchange email i've sent from the Pre from within my Outlook client, it looks like a 13 year old girl chose the font.

Maybe it's just me, but it comes across as unprofessional.

Does anyone know of a patch or other solution for this??

EDIT: Should have gone further down my search before posting this but here's a patch that will change your reply font...it doesn't change all of the text in the body when replying but it's a start:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1988126
    Last edited by Frrrrunkis; 11/11/2009 at 08:45 AM.