Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Sometimes I prefer the simplicity of Mobile/WAP sites like mobile.nytimes.com, the only problem is that most of them are designed with some kind of "word wrap" or reflow in the browser -- that way there is no horizontal scrolling, it will just cram as many words can fit in the width of the screen and make the page longer.

On the Pre's wonderful webkit browser, these sites often have very small text, as if you were viewing the site through a desktop browser. The downside is that if you try to zoom to a readable text size, you have to scroll horizontally as well as vertically.

Any solutions?
    I don't know of any, except to read the site in landscape, which makes the text larger. It also has the added benefit of being able to scroll down pages using the gesture area.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    This is one of the features that is keeping me from trading in my Treo for a Pre. I read a number of text-heavy web sites daily, one-handed, while walking; for this use case, the Webkit browser (using either the iPhone or the Pre) seems a step backward from good old Blazer on the Treo.

Another elegant feature of Blazer, is the ability to jump to the next and previous links on the page using the "right" and "left" toggle buttons rather than having to touch the link on the screen. I'm assuming there is no similar feature on the Pre.

Anyone know if there is a way to navigate between links other than by touching them on the screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by sspinner View Post
    Another elegant feature of Blazer, is the ability to jump to the next and previous links on the page using the "right" and "left" toggle buttons rather than having to touch the link on the screen. I'm assuming there is no similar feature on the Pre.

Anyone know if there is a way to navigate between links other than by touching them on the screen?
    That seems useful for a browser that doesn't have a touchscreen or pointer, but a little clumsy if you do have one of those. I can tab between links in IE but I never do b/c it's easier to click.
    double tapping on the screen doesn't cause the browser to zoom and reformat the text?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Double-tap causes it to zoom in to exactly the width of the column you tapped. Useful, but no reflow, and if the column is very wide it may not be too helpful.
    I can think of a lot of ways to describe Blazer, but it has never occurred to me to include "elegent" and "blazer" in the same context!

I had an ipod touch for about seven months before getting the Pre, and I always preferred to read news and blogs on it instead of my Treo 755p. I was not disappointed to find the Pre browser very similar to iTouch. The Pre is a little superior to iTouch in one aspect. When you touch the screen to scroll, if the spot where your finger falls happens to be a link, the iTouch is much more likely to take that as a tap, and take you off to that link. Very annoying if all you wanted to do was move the screen. On the pre, you have to be much more definite if you want to tap on a link.

I have found with the double-tap zoom, there's almost no page that I can't confortably read. Usually for reading, I switch to landscape.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    double tapping on the screen doesn't cause the browser to zoom and reformat the text?
    yes it surely does but for most people over 40 (I'm 45) or those without the best vision wordwrap in the browser would be a dream. This is the only feature my wife's Hero has that I envy.

I can promise Palm this much, if they can't get the most simple features that their rivals have then they will cease to exist.

also you have to scroll on the pre just to post in a forum as i'm doing now and we have been asking palm to fix this since the first update and no fix yet.
    as much as I prefer web os I can't wait for the EVO
    Last edited by winehead99; 04/08/2010 at 03:17 AM.