Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hi, maybe I have an interesting perspective to the Pre. I'm an iPhone user since day 1 that just switched to the Pre more over disdain for AT&T then anything else. Here are my thoughts of where they are with v1 as compared to Apple's third OS:

Phone App: Palm nailed it. Universal Search and Spotlight are about the same, functionality wise here, but being able to type in a name from the phone app's keypad view is a win, with iPhone you have to switch from keypad to contacts or favorites.

Synergy: Amazing! I had to manually link all my AIM buddies, but otherwise, it merged entries from Google, Facebook and a work Exchange account with almost 100% accuracy. A few duplicate addresses are shown (same contact with the same work address listed twice) - but NO duplicate names! I also am an IT engineer by trade, and as such have multiple ActiveSync servers I need to connect to. The Pre does this, whereas iPhone and even Windows Mobile can only connect to ONE Exchange server at a time.

Phone Dialing: I'd like to see them smooth this out a bit. It's easy to start a conference call, but I wasn't able how to figure out merging two calls when you dialed one, and the other is call waiting. Also, I couldn't figure out how to drop one end of a conference call, only how to hang up both lines.

Email: Awesome, although the iPhone just got landscape, and while I know there's a hack for that, I hear it's not quite ready yet as gesture swipes don't work reliably. I think the Pre's font is so good that the app just looks ten times better. One gripe: after replying, you have to tap back into your message and hit delete. On the iPhone, after replying, it takes you back into your message, so it's one less tap. Also, deleting on the Pre should take you to the next message, not back to the list. The font is amazing, by the way, it alone makes the iPhone interface look dated.

Camera: There's a flash and you can take about a frame a second. Say no more, it wins. Yeah, video would be nice, but I feel the same way about my DSLR... video would be nice, but that's not what I look for when shopping for a camera.

App Store: It works as well as the iPhone app store. Unlike some of the laughable alternatives, it's going to be a real great way to browse applications. Obviously the SDK needs to get out there quick so we can get all those apps developed.

Calendars: The Pre wins HANDS DOWN. The display of free time in between appointments, the easy overlay of all calendars, the fact that it shows my Google subscribed calendars such as US Holidays, it's really slick.

Contacts: Again, super slick.

Messaging App: Built in Gtalk and AIM plus actual MMS is great! Also, the nod goes to Sprint here. I receive 9000 text messages a month from work monitoring systems, plus a couple of hundred from friends. On AT&T, any time a email-to-SMS comes in, it's assigned one of 250 unique numbers. To delete after a storm of messages takes up to 250 "swipe, hit delete" actions. Sprint seems to group them by sending mail server, so all of the ones from one system show up as one thread, and it takes one swipe to delete my alerts, no matter how many there are.

Deleting in general is great, in mail, swiping left and right rapidly to delete messages is quick and easy.

SDK: I suspect the SDK is more sophisticated than anybody knows. The Sporting News Baseball app, for example, gives notifications when open about scoring updates and populates a calendar for me with the schedules of favorite teams. iPhone just got notifications for apps, and they are still those annoying pop up over whatever you are doing type. These float in the bottom unobtrusively. And as everybody knows, Apple is loathe to allow apps to update calendars, contacts and do anything in mail other than create a new message. I see Palm is a bit more open about this stuff. It would seem that the iPhone will remain #1 for gaming, but I think the core application possibilities are huge. I'm playing with "The Missing Sync", and that's an app that could never be released for iPhone, since it synchronizes contacts, music and videos, calendars, etc. All things that Apple does not allow.

The number one feature is demonstrated by Pandora. This is the case for background apps. Pandora is useless on an iPhone since you can't do ANYTHING ELSE while listening. This is why I could care less than it's an 8gb device. I just need to get my podcasts on it, and maybe 1 or 2 movies if I'm flying. Music can come from the cloud. iPhone has "Simplify Media" which streams from your home music player (iTunes or WinAmp), I pray that comes out for Pre soon!

One area where the Pre needs improvement is in Videos. I loaded some video podcasts, as they show up in one huge list in Videos with just the filename and length. This was through Missing Sync. Contrast to the music app, which reads the ID3 tags, and lets you browse by Artist, Genre, etc. When I tried loading Podcasts through iTunes, the video ones were missing - I couldn't see them from the Video app, although if I connected via USB the files were in the folder. Apple's iTunes really is an impressive way to organize media and acquire new media. I hope to see that copied, and soon!

Lastly, no matter how you sync, it would seem you can't update play counts in iTunes, they never reflect activity done on the Pre. That's a shame, I use smart playlists to sync only unplayed, recent podcasts to my phone, or at least I did with the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I'm impressed. A good review from a former iPhone user!
    I loved this.....I love my pre but the non-existent update for new applications had me concerned about staying with Palm. My son has a blackberry and daughter has the iphone so I know what these phones can do. I have been a palm user since the dawn of time and have been waiting forever for a palm update....here comes the pre. I have a good one, with no problems. With this review, I am hoping that your are correct with the software potential with this phone and hope to see some new, wonderful applications in the near future. Thank you for the positive uptake of the palm pre. It was needed!!!
    One gripe: after replying, you have to tap back into your message and hit delete. On the iPhone, after replying, it takes you back into your message, so it's one less tap. Also, deleting on the Pre should take you to the next message, not back to the list.
    When viewing the list of emails, you can swipe the message off the side of the screen and it will delete it. This is true for many list items like the notifications and Messaging conversations, Tasks, Alarms, etc. I didn't stumble upon this right away myself but once I realized it, I try to remember to try it :-)
    Welcome brother.
    I'm an iPhone convert as well and definitely feel I made the right move!
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Love WebOs and the Pre form factor. For me experiences are as follows:

Keyboard: I'm getting faster but I really was much faster with a soft keyboard. I think the perfect combination would be if the Pre came with some word prediction or correction built in. I always felt people who would complain about soft keyboards were just...well, complaining. Sorry, i still feel that way. For me the only advantage is the fact that the keyboard is always there if needed and it doesn't take up the whole screen!

WebOs: no doubt this thing has multitasking down pat. Pump up the ram and we're really talking. Still I went from having all the cards open to hardly keeping them open now. This is because of the key feature of WebOs which allows programs to keep running in the background. Notification is by far the "killer app" for me. Unfortunately, the other thing that is inherent in the OS is the memory management. This i feel is where the Pre is made to look like a second hand device. Everything on the Pre just feels so slow. It'll get better so i'm waiting patiently. But really, this OS just makes the iPhone look so out of date with all its floating buttons and transparencies.

Hardware: As always Palm needs to spend the buck here. Thankfully, I'm not having the same problems that others are having. My first Pre had a dead pixel (red flower box). My second (Yellow sunset box) definitely feels inferior; lazy power button, gaps in the slider, screen not as sensitive. Still I'd say average overall. Nothing could match the high-end luxury feel of the original iPhone.

Sprint/Palm: Reception! Or should I say lack of reliable reception. Why am I roaming in the middle of Los Angeles? Why does my signal go from all bars EVDO to 1x to 3 bars of EVDO to Roaming... Next up visual voicemail and my only work around (GVoice) will cost me 20cents a minute. (unconfirmed, by me anyway)

In the end I love Palm. It has always been my guilty pleasure and I remember my college classmates thinking i was crazy for carrying my Palm Pilot. Never had a Treo because I knew they were crap but made my wife and Sister buy one so they could at least be in the family. I shouldn't say they were crap, they were just old before they were even new.
    I'm sticking with Palm because I like being in it with all you. Were going to get some very cool things I'm sure of it...hopefully.
    Great review.

Any tips or tricks from your iphone days that are successfully working on your Pre? Always nice to hear how working methods migrate...
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Great review!

It's always a good reminder to know how well, despite the shortcomings to PalmOS, the calender app really is compared to other phones out there!
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Former iphone 3g user here. My biggest gripe with the 3g was overall lagginess when switching between apps. I tolerated the app crashes but not being able to truly multitask was too much for me. While I will admit the iphone felt more solidly built, the overall quality (built by FoxConn from what I read)was questionable as there are a multitude of issues from overheating to freezing to rebooting reported on the Apple forums, even with the 3gs. Of course the Pre has issues but many seem to be cosmetic and some folks are just plain picky. Anyway my iphone was freezing, shutting itself off and increasing /decreasing the ringer volume on it's own just before I got rid of it. It was a few weeks away from the warranty expiration date but I refused to get another only to face the same lagginess again. It was my first and last Apple purchase and truly I'm not impressed.

So far I'm very happy with the Pre's mulitasking ability and the webos in general. Hopefully they'll address some of the issues with exchange people are having (mine works thankfully) in their next release.
    The pre is a good phone, but everyday I come across something that bugs the S*** out of me. Just the fact of the phone missing general PHONE criteria bothers me. For some reason the phone will not sync some of my photos or picking the phone up off the touchstone and not being able to dismiss the call...I could just go on all day with things that P*** me off about this phone...I'm very close to throwing it against the wall...and no I would not be willing to sell it to anyone one, I would rather destroy the piece of S***.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    You know... I thought you would be upset with the hardware.
    What do you think about that?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loodias View Post
    Sprint/Palm: Reception! Or should I say lack of reliable reception. Why am I roaming in the middle of Los Angeles? Why does my signal go from all bars EVDO to 1x to 3 bars of EVDO to Roaming... Next up visual voicemail and my only work around (GVoice) will cost me 20cents a minute. (unconfirmed, by me anyway)
    I experience the same weird range of signals from 1X to EVDO five bars, especially from the same room in my apartment. But... here are the coverage for Los Angeles:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if you had 1x to EVDO but the roaming... that is a bit surprising. But then again, Sprint is pretty strong on the East coast. You're on the West. I am not sure if that means anything.
    SGLewis100 said: call waiting. Also, I couldn't figure out how to drop one end of a conference call, only how to hang up both lines.
    The Call Waiting deal, is a carry over from the way it was on Centro (maybe Treo too, cant recall), but it is wierd, but works. When you are on a call, and swap to a call waiting that comes in, when you are done with one call, and you hang up ALL, the last call you had in waiting, calls the phone back. So if you just wait a few seconds, your phone rings, and the caller hears it dialing. Took me FOREVER to figure this out and get it right, and of course, Tech Support did not know this..
    Excellent review, I was very impressed with the iphone 3gs after playing with it in store. Its still no palm pre though.
    I've had the 2st two iPhones and now I'm back to PALM! This Pre is a great phone! All I need is a Strongs Hebrew/Greek dictionary to do my Bible study on (the iPhone had a GREAT app for that!), then it will have EVERYTHING I need! The main reason I switched was I just could not take ANY MORE DROPPED CALLS! The iPhone functionally was great (minus the now multitasking) but the phone reception was sadly lacking. Sprint's reception for me couldn't be better. I can be in the middle of my building where I work and get emails, texts, AND phone calls with NO DROPS! iPhone, NOTHING! I'm here to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by loodias View Post
    Keyboard: I'm getting faster but I really was much faster with a soft keyboard. I think the perfect combination would be if the Pre came with some word prediction or correction built in. I always felt people who would complain about soft keyboards were just...well, complaining. Sorry, i still feel that way. For me the only advantage is the fact that the keyboard is always there if needed and it doesn't take up the whole screen!
    I HATE the virtual. Always not hitting the right keys on the iPhone 1 in 7 or so, which is a lot. Then the predictive text would frequently guess the wrong word and I'd have a lot of emails with correct words, just the wrong ones. I ALWAYS know who is using an iPhone when they write to me.

Everything on the Pre just feels so slow. It'll get better so i'm waiting patiently. But really, this OS just makes the iPhone look so out of date with all its floating buttons and transparencies.
    Unfortunately that is superficial. I'll take the speed any day and I can only hope this will be addressed... but it's already 8 months out. My concern is whether I can just keep a few apps open and that's it and that will be quick enough. In the store, it was pretty slow.

Nothing could match the high-end luxury feel of the original iPhone.
    I loved my Treo. The Pixi is superb with the keyboard but too small, both keys and screen. Unfortunately it's the Pre or nothing. I agree here.

Never had a Treo because I knew they were crap but made my wife and Sister buy one so they could at least be in the family. I shouldn't say they were crap, they were just old before they were even new.
    I'm sticking with Palm because I like being in it with all you. Were going to get some very cool things I'm sure of it...hopefully.
    But they were the best hardware on the planet for a long time and the only great touchscreen and hardware keyboard. Nothing beat it for email and functionality for many years when you were still in diapers.

Nice comments and appreciate the honesty.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xAroundthefur88x View Post
    The pre is a good phone, but everyday I come across something that bugs the S*** out of me. Just the fact of the phone missing general PHONE criteria bothers me. For some reason the phone will not sync some of my photos or picking the phone up off the touchstone and not being able to dismiss the call...I could just go on all day with things that P*** me off about this phone...I'm very close to throwing it against the wall...and no I would not be willing to sell it to anyone one, I would rather destroy the piece of S***.

Go ahead my man, you will feel better....... any other issues that p....ss you off and want to share with us? Let it all out... tomorrow is a new day. Careful if you throw the brick against the wall though. If you rent it mite cost you your deposit, if you own.... well I think you are smart 'nuff to figure that out...;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post
    Go ahead my man, you will feel better....... any other issues that p....ss you off and want to share with us? Let it all out... tomorrow is a new day. Careful if you throw the brick against the wall though. If you rent it mite cost you your deposit, if you own.... well I think you are smart 'nuff to figure that out...;-)
    just an FYI, your commenting on a post made over 5 months ago.
    Awesome review for sure. I love my Pre and hope to be using it and any other new WebOS devices for a long time to come. I have never had and IPhone or IPod touch but i know many people that have one or the other, and where i live ATT does not have 3g coverage so from what they've all said the speed on the IPhone is crap here. Luckily Sprint has great coverage where and I live and pretty much anywahere I go in my tristate area. I wanted an IPhone soooo bad last year and was very much heading that direction until i heard about the pre coming out and once i started to look into it and read anything i could about it i was hooked and never thought twice about an IPhone afterwards. Go Palm!!
    Very nice review!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast