Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's another tip for you news hounds out there. Google news ( www . google.com/m/news) is PERFECTLY formatted for the Pre and serves as, in my opinion, a more comprehensive feature rich news application than either the AP application or the NYT application.

Some features that really appeal to me:

1. The formatting of the site is perfect for the pre. It almost behaves like an app written specifically for my palm.

2. Customizable news. At the bottom of the app you'll see a link to "Add section". Use this to create any news feed that you like. I set one up for my home town news, Palm Pre news, as well as company specific news. You really can create a news channel for anything.

3. Google will list (potentially thousands of) addl. sources for any news item it finds. This includes youtube clips for many stories. Here's the killer though: The pre intercepts those youtube links and actually loads the Youtube application to view them!! It's so seemless it seems intentional

Don't just bookmark this page... create an app out of it! When the page is loaded on your pre click the "Web" menu in the top left corner, click "Page", and select "Add To Launcher". Boom! You now have what appears to be a stand alone news application on your launcher page.

Let me know what you think!
    ----------------

For some tips on how I use Google and the Pre for stashing away notes/pages for later viewing check out my other thread:

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/185593-evernote-alternative-tip.html
  2. hon
    Google knows you are from a cell phone and automatically makes mobile format.

Not to rain your parade
    Google Reader also works great
    great idea! Thanks for the tip! Wish we had more ideas like that on this forum.
  5.    #5  
    Oh, most certainly. Doesn't take away from the usefulness of the application though... and I've definitely seen mobile formatting done both good AND bad. This one happens to be pretty well implemented.

Probably because it's google

Speaking of google and mobile formatting here's another tip for ya: If you're a google reader user do NOT click on the "email" link at the bottom of a feed item... it'll crash your pre!

Quote Originally Posted by hon View Post
    Google knows you are from a cell phone and automatically makes mobile format.

Not to rain your parade
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    Wish we had more ideas like that on this forum.
    I agree, but that's too much ask for while most of the people around here are whining like a bunch of baby-pee-pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogobunky View Post
    Speaking of google and mobile formatting here's another tip for ya: If you're a google reader user do NOT click on the "email" link at the bottom of a feed item... it'll crash your pre!
    I've done this one too many times. It has worked on occasion, however.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    aAso check igoogle.com mobile. Looks and works perfectly.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    And I'm using Google Calendar mobile instead of the built-in Calendar app. I just sync my Outlook with Google Calendar with the free Google supplied sync app and I have my own homebrew Synergy !
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Instead of those troll threads these are the kind of threads that we need.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogobunky View Post

Yup...mine crashes too when I use the email link Today I tried it and it worked! So I thought the new WebOS update might've fixed it! But after reading your post here I thought I would try one more time "just to be sure". Darn this thing!!! It crashed and reset my Pre I don't understand, because it sounds like this does NOT happen for most people (based on other threads).
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    does anyone else wish that Palm would include the option to send email from the accounts you have added to your gmail account. for example, if i use gmail on the web, i can send "as" another address, whereas in the WebOS email app I have to actually add the account, etc to send mail "as" that account. i use reader and gmail on the web all the time with pre because these and other features weren't ported in

am i making any sense at all here?
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane View Post
    does anyone else wish that Palm would include the option to send email from the accounts you have added to your gmail account. for example, if i use gmail on the web, i can send "as" another address, whereas in the WebOS email app I have to actually add the account, etc to send mail "as" that account. i use reader and gmail on the web all the time with pre because these and other features weren't ported in

am i making any sense at all here?
    You can...follow these steps.

1. Open Email App.
    2. Go to Preference & Accounts...Add An Account.
    3. Click the upper left corner...Manual Setup.
    4. Mail Type: IMAP
    5. Email Address: Put the address that you want to send "as" (different than your gmail...like palmpre@mymail.com)
    6. Incoming Mail Server
    imap.gmail.com
    input your gmail email adress and password
    Port 993
    SSL Encryption
    7. Outgoing Mail Server
    smtp.gmail.com
    Autentication On
    Port 465
    SSL Encryption
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorrocket View Post
    Google Reader also works great
    My favorite app of all time, seriously. I use it for eveything, Google Alerts feed is such a great way to track any news you want to be alerted to ASAP.
    When I click on a link out of Google news, it is not formatted for the Pre, am I doing something wrong?

The main news page is good, but any links are regular web pages.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post

1. Open Email App.
    5. Email Address: Put the address that you want to send "as" (different than your gmail...like ...])
    6. Incoming Mail Server
    imap.gmail.com
    Port 993
    SSL Encryption
    7. Outgoing Mail Server
    smtp.gmail.com
    Autentication On
    Port 465
    SSL Encryption
    thanks for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post

1. Open Email App.
    5. Email Address: Put the address that you want to send "as" (different than your gmail...like palmpre@mymail.com)
    6. Incoming Mail Server
    imap.gmail.com
    Port 993
    SSL Encryption
    7. Outgoing Mail Server
    smtp.gmail.com
    Autentication On
    Port 465
    SSL Encryption
    Since doing this, I am now getting each email twice or sometimes 3 times - once for the gmail and once for the alias address that gmail receives as. Any ideas on how to remedy this? I have the alias address set to check manually, but I still got my test email twice.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I don't know if it's just me, but this is great because if I first go to Google News, all other subsequent mobile news sites look great on the Pre! So for example, I can go Google News, NY Times, USA Today, CNN...all looking great and formatted very similar to the iPhone/iPod Touch. At least this has worked for me all day today. Previously I was using the other workaround for the NY Times mobile site by going to Precentral.net forums first, turn phone, turn back, then go to NY Times site.
    timmo google.com.m.news does indeed work the same way, but you still have to turn it to landscape and back for it to work, just like m.forums.precentral.net. Then all subsequent sites you visit (where it works), will be very readable on the Pre without zooming or scrolling, and without turning to landscape and back at each one.

These include:

mobile.nytimes.com
    mobile.washingtonpost.com
    m.usatoday.com
    mobile.time.com
    i.newsweek.com
    mobile.latimes.com
    m.detnews.com

m.cnn.com is not affected, but is nicely readable on the Pre anyway.

Here's a link to the original thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...55#post1716155

http://m.forums.precentral.net/showt...1&goto=newpost

Shogobunky thanks and check it out.
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/02/2009 at 01:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Found another cool website for news that looks great on the Pre:

Top News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast