Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. dbgalvin's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was wondering how to play .wmv files that I receive in email? I apologize if this is contained in other threads.
  2. #2  
    It's a no go.
  3. #3  
    It definitely has been covered multiple, multiple, multiple, multiple times in these threads. The Pre will not play wmv files and if you would like to play them you will need to convert them to a different format. Please do a search before posting. Please.

    Just in case

    Please.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Please do a search before posting. Please.
    Just in case
    Please.
    I was going to suggest that as well but the last time I did the OP (not dbgalvin) started a holy war and flung it in my direction.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I was going to suggest that as well but the last time I did the OP (not dbgalvin) started a holy war and flung it in my direction.
    Ahh. Touche. Ultimately that is why I decided to give the answer as well as tell them to search. I guess if you have never been to an online forum before you really would not know to search it before posting (assuming you don't see the sticky of search before you post). I just sometimes don't understand it. Maybe I am a different type of person, but it seems like some people just can't become part of the google era. I always would much rather search for and find my answer than post on a forum and hope they give me the right answer. At least when I am searching myself, it is easier to weed through the BS.

    Wow. Just out of curiosity I googled "google era" and thought it was somewhat interesting that this actually produced a result.
  6. #6  
    Just convert the damn thing to an mp3. Its very, very easy. Either download one of the many freeware mp3 converters available online, or go to a site like media-convert.com which lets you upload and then converts a file from one of many formats (.wma included) into any other format (.mp3 included). Takes but a few minutes and the worse you have to deal with is a few annoying neon adds.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Just convert the damn thing to an mp3. Its very, very easy. Either download one of the many freeware mp3 converters available online, or go to a site like media-convert.com which lets you upload and then converts a file from one of many formats (.wma included) into any other format (.mp3 included). Takes but a few minutes and the worse you have to deal with is a few annoying neon adds.
    Hmmmmmm????? Not too sure how to convert a wmv (video file format) into a mp3 (sound format). Please enlighten us.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Hmmmmmm????? Not too sure how to convert a wmv (video file format) into a mp3 (sound format). Please enlighten us.
    A la peanut butter sandwiches!
  9. jtiis's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #9  
    "Hmmmmmm????? Not too sure how to convert a wmv (video file format) into a mp3 (sound format). Please enlighten us."

    Really, it IS easy - and the resulting file is vastly more user-centered. You can listen to the soundtrack and add "video" from whatever source you are currently looking at.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtiis View Post
    "Hmmmmmm????? Not too sure how to convert a wmv (video file format) into a mp3 (sound format). Please enlighten us."

    Really, it IS easy - and the resulting file is vastly more user-centered. You can listen to the soundtrack and add "video" from whatever source you are currently looking at.
    So you are saying the file conversion process splits the two files and then you have to play them separately. This is not making much sense. Please elaborate.
  11. #11  
    Wow. I thought my post was very clear. Guess not lol

    Layman's guide to converting a file into .mp3

    1)Go to Media Convert - free and on line - convert and split sound, ringtones, images, docs -

    2)From there, click the browse button and upload the file you want to convert into .mp3 format from your computer. The site should recognize the file type and the input format field on the right should change accordingly.

    3)Half way down on the page, you will see the output format field. Change the field to the file type you want the file to be converted to, in this case, .mp3.

    4) Click the purple OK button on the far right.

    5) The site will begin to convert the file and you should see a status bar with a percentage of completion. Mp3 files are quite large in comparison so it might take a few minutes to convert the wma over to .mp3 format. Also, if the site is busy you might have to wait awhile before your conversion even starts. However this usually does not last more than 5 minutes or so.

    6) After your conversion is done, the site will give you a link to download your newly converted file - this time in the new format that you want. Right click save as on this new link and you will download your new file in .mp3 format.

    You should also note that there is also an option to only convert a certain segment of a file. This is good for those of you who want to make your own ringtone. This is just one of the many options available to you, and i've used this site for years to convert songs from all sorts of formats into .mp3 and to create my own ring tones as well. I prefer using this site because it requires no installation of third party software and all I have to deal with is the occasional annoying add, but then this service is provided free so that is more than understandable.

    Hope this helps !
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    wma over to .mp3 format
    I could be extremely rude just like you were but won't. All I am going to suggest is to please read the post before acting condescending. The title is .wmv not .wma. Good information but not relevant to this post.
  13. #13  
    I think you misunderstood me for i was genuinely trying to be helpful. No need to get defensive.

    If you go to the website i linked, you will see that .wmv IS a format supported. Yes, i misread and assumed he meant .wma, so if he wanted to change a wmv to an mp3, it should be doable but he will just loose the video. I base this assumption on the fact that I have converted many many .flv (flash VIDEO) into .mp3 (audio) without a hitch. It does not matter what the format is, the method is sound. Now, if he wanted to keep the video AND audio in his conversion, obviously he would have to convert the file into whatever format the pre supports (mpeg-4 it looks like, since this is the format of the "have fun" video preloaded on the pre) which is also supported by that website.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Just convert the damn thing to an mp3. Its very, very easy. Either download one of the many freeware mp3 converters available online, or go to a site like media-convert.com which lets you upload and then converts a file from one of many formats (.wma included) into any other format (.mp3 included). Takes but a few minutes and the worse you have to deal with is a few annoying neon adds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    I think you misunderstood me for i was genuinely trying to be helpful. No need to get defensive.

    If you go to the website i linked, you will see that .wmv IS a format supported. Yes, i misread and assumed he meant .wma, so if he wanted to change a wmv to an mp3, it should be doable but he will just loose the video. I base this assumption on the fact that I have converted many many .flv (flash VIDEO) into .mp3 (audio) without a hitch. It does not matter what the format is, the method is sound. Now, if he wanted to keep the video AND audio in his conversion, obviously he would have to convert the file into whatever format the pre supports (mpeg-4 it looks like, since this is the format of the "have fun" video preloaded on the pre) which is also supported by that website.
    Don't worry. It's not a big deal. Just in your previous post above you seemed like you were in awe of that fact that the guy would not just very, very easily convert the file. Since it seemed to me like you were being somewhat rude, I just wanted to point out the fact that I knew you weren't referring to a .wmv file. I think my error was that I understood what you were saying too well.

    That being said, there are many programs and websites out there that can convert the .wmv file to whatever you would like but that was obviously not the OP question. So, ultimately, it is not a big deal to me, it just seemed like you were being overall condescending at first to the OP and then to me. No worries though, the website can be useful information.
  15. #15  
    I tend to worry less about formalities online with anonymous posters as opposed to face to face conversations. I wasn't trying to be a tool, its just how I am.

    But in the end, we just come back around to the same advice you had anyways, which is to convert the file into a format supported by the pre (.mp4)
  16. #16  
    It's cool.
  17. tarhead's Avatar
    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    #17  
    now if dbgalvin had not posted a search-answerable question, i would not have gained the knowledge regarding the flipping of .wmv's to mp3's. this could be a handy thing.

    thanks dbgalvin & lucidlore
  18. dbgalvin's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
       #18  
    Sorry to create such turmoil. Just joined the other day and am learning my way around. Thanks everyone for the information.
  19. #19  
    curious - is there a file converter available for webos that would allow you to do this on the device?

    The process above looks like something you would need to from your desktop.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetrains View Post
    curious - is there a file converter available for webos that would allow you to do this on the device?

    The process above looks like something you would need to from your desktop.
    Hiya,

    Yes, it's a desktop-based solution. I personally use Handbrake....easy (there's presets for "ipod / iphone" format, which matches the Pre) and free.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions