webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > 1.0.4 broke Pre?
1.0.4 broke Pre?

Old 06/30/2009, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

We have 3 Pre's on a family plan, and last night one of them popped up a screen wanting to update. Told it no, and it said it would do the update the next time it was put on a charger. That night it was put on the charger as usual. The next morning however it's just showing a big question mark and restarting while just sitting there unmoved on the desk, if it makes it far enough you can glance a peek at a screen wanting it to be set up again.
ualdayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting, have you tried removing the battery then replacing it?
trim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I saw the question mark when my battery was really low (before the 1.04 update). It went away after charging above 5%. It really appeared to be dead. I Turned it off and turned it back on, but the icon persisted until the battery had enough power .
serqet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Man of Steelerator (Super Mod)

lol... don't tell it no.
pogeypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, and after doing that it came up but was still definitely not acting right. It had 80% battery, then out of nowhere said WARNING LOW BATTERY and showed 5%, then it said 64%, then it said 85% all in the span of 2 minutes.
Old 06/30/2009, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Called palm, and I seem to have stumped them. The guy said "Is it a battery outline with a lightning bolt?" Me: Nope, it has a question mark in the middle, no lightning bolt. "Am I to understand you have an issue with the battery life? Do you use youtube a lot? IM a lot?" Me: "No, it isn't the ongoing battery life, it's that one minute it's at 85%, then 5% in under a minute, then back up to 64% less than a minute after that. It can't seem to figure out what the battery is at and just restarts whenever it thinks the battery is dead. (even though it isn't/shouldn't be)
Old 06/30/2009, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

get the webos repair program from palm and re setup the firmware if im not mistaken that symbol is from the new firmware improperly installing
kngof9ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, that was entirely unproductive. He would put me on hold for 5 minutes only to come back with suggestions like "Try restarting it." "Didn't I do that when I removed the battery and put it back in?" "No....you have to push power and toggle the ringer switch 3 times." (Common, that's just a normal reset, same as if I removed the battery and put it back in) I did it anyway, then he said "Now charge it all the way." (of course that got me off the phone, and I suppose it'll be somebody else that has to talk to me tomorrow when that doesn't fix it)
Old 06/30/2009, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I let it charge all the way, 100% green icon, took it off the charger, and 3 minutes later it said "Low battery" and turned off. Tried calling Palm again, and well...imagine the worst technical support you can. Palm is worse than that.

I kid you not - you would be amazed at how bad they are. Here's how the conversation went:

I referenced the previous ticket, I said I had once again tried removing the battery and putting it back in and yet it still wasn't working. She then says "Ok, just as a test...take the cover off...take the battery out" Me: I already took it out and put it back in... "Yes, that's not what I'm going to have you do...I just need to see something. Take the battery out..." (ok, I'm doing it, the battery is out, I assume you need some kind of serial number right? NOPE, "Put the battery back in now") ARGH! I just said I'd done that EXACT thing - and you assured me you weren't just leading me down the path to doing the exact same thing. Of course - that didn't fix it, didn't help at all, just like I'd just told her.

I just want the battery replaced. "We can't do that." At the start you said it had a hardware warranty period of 365 days? "Yes..Palm stands behind its hardware." So, you stand behind the hardware, but you don't replace or repair it? "Yes". (apparently they stand WAY behind it, nowhere near in fact) I'll let that question/answer sink in a bit for its full comedic effect.

So, by the end they say it's defective, but they aren't replacing it - You'll need to go through Sprint. Call Sprint. Then she says "You'll be receiving a survey, I want you to understand the survey isn't about how well your issue has been solved, but about how professional I've been. It's MY grade, not how well your problem was solved."

Also: I say 'she' but I talked to about 10 different people because every 2-3 sentences they'd say "Hmm...let me ask somebody else." Eg..."Does it have a battery with a lightning bolt?" Me: No, it's a battery with a big question mark. No lightning bolt. Them: "Let me put you on hold and transfer you to a more senior person."
Old 06/30/2009, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

I hate to laugh at your situation, but unfortunately it's kind of funny in a sad way. (not laughing AT you, laughing with you....) As bad as that "tech" support is, I could probably fill a small book with horror stories of dealing with Sprint technical support over the 10 years I've been with them. Truly some of the most baffling dialogs you could imagine. At times, I wondered if they even knew what their own name was, let alone how to work an electronic gadget.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Are you sure this isn't just a coincidence? Almost sounds like a problem with the electronics in your battery. Did you try putting one of the batteries from the other phones in and seeing if this happens?
ronlongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well, honestly I'm afraid if there IS something wrong with the phone itself couldn't it break any other battery I put in it? (or heck, even worse, break the battery, then have that battery break the Pre it came out of originally when put back in the original one)
Old 06/30/2009, 09:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngof9ex View Post
get the webos repair program from palm and re setup the firmware if im not mistaken that symbol is from the new firmware improperly installing
This is the correct advice. Why not follow it?
Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
RC46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 10:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
This is the correct advice. Why not follow it?
If I can I'd prefer not to lose all the data on the phone (I've heard that webos doctor wipes out all data on the device, and palm backup DOES NOT restore all the data). I tried the 'paper' trick and it started up right after. I don't know how the battery used to work then one day suddenly it needs that piece of paper, or why it was seemingly losing contact when just sitting on the desk not being moved but we'll see tomorrow if it is still acting up and at that point I might end up having to wipe it anyway (if it didn't upgrade correctly I wouldn't think it would come up at all)

Also found a google result for 'palm pre question mark' and found this post from somebody soon after launch, here's some quotes from their thread:

"For me, this question mark comes up both when the charger is plugged in and when it is not. The Pre crashed doing many different things, including just sitting on my desk. The question mark comes up erratically."

"The Palm Rep who was in the store said that Tech Support said that there was an issue with the communication between the chip in the battery and the phone."

"I have been on the line with tech support at Palm for more than three hours today. My phone has been crashing ("resetting") 3-5 times a day since Monday (purchased Saturday). Yesterday, I saw my first White Questionmark of Death. Today about 10 times. Palm Tech Support is stumped. One person said it was a "generic error message" while others asked if I saw a number with it. They keep asking me to peform hard resets (wiping everything off the phone) and no luck after 5 tries. On hold now while they research their last guess. I'm a patient early adopter but this resetting is testing my patience."

Question Mark Screen - Palm Pre Forums
Old 07/01/2009, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Got back from a Sprint store. It took 2-3 hours, but I got them to replace the battery. (well, really it took 1 hour at the first store because they said they had 3 other broken phones to take care of first, and they would NOT swap the battery without having their tech look at it first. Despite having 4 employees apparently only 1 is an authorized tech. The tech came out, said "Yep, your battery is bad. We don't have any though. You'll need to call and ask them to ship you one." (Yeah, I already tried phone, I know how that went)

The guy then gave me directions to the next nearest one 40 miles away. I went there, walked in, showed the guy the Pre, asked for a different battery, he grabbed one from the back and swapped it out right there in about 5 minutes. Phone seems to be working now.

Funny story is in the first store the tech pulled out his phone, and he had an Iphone. I would think they'd get some kind of discount that would make it unpalatable to go with anybody BUT Sprint.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0