Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    So your Pre is able to go beyond the documented limitations of CDMA EVDO which are that you can not handle data at the same time as using a voice connection?
    EVDO allows voice + txt because texts are sent along the 1xRTT network. Simultaneously with the call.
    I'm not sure when this thread turned into an iPhone 3G S review but I guess they all do at some point.

What I can't figure out is why there are so many iPhone owners posting in a Palm Pre forum??? Go take a look at the iPhone blog there are NO Pre owners starting threads saying how great the Pre is compared to the iPhone. For some reason iPhone owners are bent out of shape about the Palm Pre and feel the need to come here and defend the iPhone and bash the Pre. It's a free country but I just don't understand why anyone would want to do this.

Back to the original premise of this thread. 'What's so great about multi-tasking?' (I'm paraphrasing because the actual title was incoherent):

- It's been stated that web pages do not auto update. This is true. If they did people would probably be on here complaining about how much this feature depletes the battery. This may or may not be a desirable feature that could obviously be included in the future with an update.

- Some of the applications auto update when running in the background and some do not. The fact that many of them do proves that the OS is powerful enough to support this function and more applications will do this in the future without a doubt.

Brief list of applications that DO auto update when running in the background:

> Sprint Navigation (this is huge, say what you want but this is a
    killer feature that the a fore mentioned device can't touch)

> FlightView (I don't use this application but it does update)

> Spaz (it doesn't update in real time but it does update which
    seems to be an improvement over Tweed which does not)

> Email (obviously)

> Clock (the Clock application is pretty weak but the functionality is
    there and can be improved upon or a 3rd party app
    could be released as well)

> Alerts (this gets overlooked but is a killer feature)

Not really trying to make this an iPhone 3G S vs. Palm Pre comparison. The iPhone does a lot of things very well. However, the fact is with its current operating system kernel it can't keep up with the Pre in this area.
    Last edited by Wirelessness; 07/01/2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    > Sprint Navigation (this is huge, say what you want but this is a
    killer feature that the a fore mentioned device can't touch)
    I noticed that my Sprint Nav updates / speaks out directions and street names even when the screen is turned off and multitasking (not the foreground application). I did this to conserve batteries, since we all know the Pre has battery drain issues, and was pleasantly surprised when it still navigated me with the screen off.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    So your Pre is able to go beyond the documented limitations of CDMA EVDO which are that you can not handle data at the same time as using a voice connection?
    BadAndy already stole most of my thunder, but also don't forget that the Pre is capable of simultaneous voice/data when you're using WiFi as your data source. You probably already knew that, but I just wanted to clarify that this form of multi-tasking that you have been bringing up is being limited only by CDMA2K, not WebOS.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    So, the OP has a total of 25 posts right now. In just this thread, there are 19 from the OP. It would seem that s/he is pretty single-purpose. Outside this thread was a post about syncing that really just showed that OP didn't bother doing the slightest research. Another was a claim of 3 defective phones. Another was along the same lines. Check this out:

That's all one sentence! I can't find a single capital letter in that entire rant. Anyway, the pattern seems to be to post rambling, incoherent gripes and pick apart things that are purely a matter of taste. That's some fine trolling.
    not my fault palm made a crappy phone and i didnt know u were the fourms grammer police but keep up the good work
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Well, you're correct. There isn't a vast offering of software in this very young phone. But there will be. Here's a tip. When that new spell check/grammar check application comes along, buy it, load it and run it at all times in the background. You need it. And you can then see why multitasking is important.
    another person who is on the grammar swat team
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    not my fault palm made a crappy phone and i didnt know u were the fourms grammer police but keep up the good work
    Stop trolling.
    back on track, people, and no personal attacks.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leez View Post
    I guess the easiest thing I could say is that you missed the point of multitasking. You're probably better suited for an iPhone anyway.

The fact of the matter is, for people with a real business purpose in life, being able to alternate between an email and a web page, or between your calendar and other tasks is pretty important and makes life pretty easy. Even in a non-business setting this ability can be useful for organizing your life.

Most importantly, don't troll, and don't trash on people who DO enjoy the feature.
    i never trashed on anyone. i made a statement and people with no purpouse in life ran with it. for 1 i own my own business and the phone has made it, if anything harder because everytime it breaks im without it for atleast a day.
    The GSM pres coming out in a couple of month's will, so that's a moot argument.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enarez View Post
    Stop trolling.
    what is the def. of trolling on forums not to sure what that means kind of new to me
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    I noticed that my Sprint Nav updates / speaks out directions and street names even when the screen is turned off and multitasking (not the foreground application). I did this to conserve batteries, since we all know the Pre has battery drain issues, and was pleasantly surprised when it still navigated me with the screen off.
    Interesting...I will have to try this to verify! This will save a lot of us some juice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    EVDO allows voice + txt because texts are sent along the 1xRTT network. Simultaneously with the call.
    Ah that's good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

But other data such based things will not such as web browsing or map stuff...
    i never trashed on anyone. i made a statement and people with no purpouse in life ran with it.
    Despite your pretty weak original post and continued off topic Pre bashing attempts trying to derail any useful discussion. Some people have made real efforts to point out the actual advantages of being able to have multiple applications open at one time. Better yet some of those applications update in real time. It's pretty clear you are not interested in using or understanding these features and are just here to bash and troll. That's fine, but don't get bent out of shape when people call you out.

Proper grammar and spelling are not required but it makes it hard for people to take you seriously when misspell every 10th word. Being able to articulate thoughts into words is helpful as well.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Ah that's good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

But other data such based things will not such as web browsing or map stuff...
    Unless you are connected to wifi, then you can.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    Despite your pretty weak original post and continued off topic Pre bashing attempts trying to derail any useful discussion. Some people have made real efforts to point out the actual advantages of being able to have multiple applications open at one time. Better yet some of those applications update in real time. It's pretty clear you are not interested in using or understanding these features and are just here to bash and troll. That's fine, but don't get bent out of shape when people call you out.

Proper grammar and spelling are not required but it makes it hard for people to take you seriously when misspell every 10th word. Being able to articulate thoughts into words is helpful as well.
    i noted in this post that i greatly appreciate the good feedback. the point of the post was not to bash the phone, its been a while but i belive the last thing i said on the first page was i guess im just a little impatient wainting for apps to release
    Originally posted bBadandy127:
    What I can't figure out is why there are so many iPhone owners posting in a Palm Pre forum??? Go take a look at the iPhone blog there are NO Pre owners starting threads saying how great the Pre is compared to the iPhone. For some reason iPhone owners are bent out of shape about the Palm Pre and feel the need to come here and defend the iPhone and bash the Pre. It's a free country but I just don't understand why anyone would want to do this.
    True, but seeing so many of them touting their great phone, which I have absolutely no interest in, does tempt me to go to their forum and tell them how great my Pre is. I think I'll do a search and tell them what they're missing right now. The difference is, I won't bother to bash their choice.

The iPhone fanboys who come to this forum just to bash the Pre are simply young people, w/ no self-control, who have forgotten or never learned common courtesy. And when I say young, if your over 60 and still haven't learned self-control and common courtesy, then your social ability age is still under 13 (the age of decision).
    the point of the post was not to bash the phone
    not my fault palm made a crappy phone
    I'm getting mixed messages here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    True, but seeing so many of them touting their great phone, which I have absolutely no interest in, does tempt me to go to their forum and tell them how great my Pre is. I think I'll do a search and tell them what they're missing right now.
    There are plenty of Pre fans on iPhone boards. They get some fanboy responses like, "the pre sucks", but most iPhone users accept the Pre for what it is: a good competitor to the iPhone that has definite advantages over it in multi-tasking and the notification system but also some clear disadvantages. Your horse sure looks high from down here...
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast