Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 211
  1. #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    I *think* it can, I'll post back when I get the chance to test it. I'm pretty sure the Pre can though.
    Regarding the Pre's ability to load web pages in the background, yes it is able to do it. I just opened up 3 Web cards and had each load up a bookmark of a fairly complex page. It did load up each page completely, but it didn't update the card view surprisingly. The card view shows up as a white card, but upon opening up the web card, the page just appeared (no additional page download necessary, no additional page rendering, the page just appeared and was useable).

    The way I understand it on the iPhone/iPod side (in the past, not with the new 3.0 software update, no experience there), if the device fully renders the page, then goes into multiple safari pages view, I believe it takes a screen "snapshot" of the page as it was last rendered on the screen and utilizes that as the page thumbnail. Upon maximizing that safari page again, it reloads the page (since all it had cached was a snapshot thumbnail).

    On the Pre, when a page hasn't completely loaded up and you go into card view, the card just caches a white card thumbnail, but continues to fully download the page, render it, and maintains the rendered page in memory so that when maximizing the card, it can display the page immediately without additional processing.
  2. #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    What am I doing right now? Oh, I'm using my web browser over a 3G connection while talking on the phone. Multi-tasking? Sure. Hey, I'm in a SMS, I just tapped the home button twice. My iPod controls pop up? Sounds like multi-tasking to me. I can play music in the background while I'm in any app. That's multi-tasking.

    The iPhone doesn't have multi-tasking for 3rd party apps (which is a definite advantage for the Pre), but learn to get your facts straight.

    Oh, and just a hint, but with the 3GS, opening and closing apps takes barely any time at all.



    Yes, you are a fanboy. You give absolutely no evidence for any of your claims and try oh-so-hard to mask your disdain for Apple and its customers.
    The reality is that the way the Pre handles multiple applications is just waaaay better. Same with notifications. Why can't anyone accept that? The iPhone has it's advantages, but the way it handles working in multiple applications isn't one of them. I'm sure the boys in Cupertino are working on something to mitigate it, but for now they're in second place in this area so just deal with it.

    BTW, now that I've enabled advanced gestures to switch applications, as suggested by another member, all I do is swipe my finger to go from one open application to the next. No button pushing, no multiple swipes. It just doesn't get any easier than that.
  3. #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    The card view shows up as a white card, but upon opening up the web card, the page just appeared (no additional page download necessary, no additional page rendering, the page just appeared and was useable).
    Exact same as on the iPhone 3GS.

    The way I understand it on the iPhone/iPod side (in the past, not with the new 3.0 software update, no experience there), if the device fully renders the page, then goes into multiple safari pages view, I believe it takes a screen "snapshot" of the page as it was last rendered on the screen and utilizes that as the page thumbnail. Upon maximizing that safari page again, it reloads the page (since all it had cached was a snapshot thumbnail).
    Not anymore. The old way was awful.


    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    The reality is that the way the Pre handles multiple applications is just waaaay better. Same with notifications. Why can't anyone accept that? The iPhone has it's advantages, but the way it handles working in multiple applications isn't one of them. I'm sure the boys in Cupertino are working on something to mitigate it, but for now they're in second place in this area so just deal with it.
    When did I ever say otherwise? Of course the way it handles multiple apps and notifications is better. It's far better. And outside of the random fanboys on mac forums, you'll find that most iPhone owners admit the same thing. There are threads in every iPhone forum on how much notifications suck on the iPhone and ideas to fix it. You're the one generalizing.

    BTW, now that I've enabled advanced gestures to switch applications, as suggested by another member, all I do is swipe my finger to go from one open application to the next. No button pushing, no multiple swipes. It just doesn't get any easier than that.
    I know what the advanced gesture is.
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    BTW, now that I've enabled advanced gestures to switch applications, as suggested by another member, all I do is swipe my finger to go from one open application to the next. No button pushing, no multiple swipes. It just doesn't get any easier than that.
    That might have been my suggestion. Another thing to note is that when restoring a "singleton" application (like mail or contacts, in which only one instance is allowed at a time) from the background, it restores the card at the far right (or top of the deck) instead of back in it's original place in the stack. I think this is done because it wants to keep the apps you are more likely to use together side-by-side at the top of the deck, which is helpful when using this advanced gesture.
  5. #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post

    When did I ever say otherwise? Of course the way it handles multiple apps and notifications is better. It's far better. And outside of the random fanboys on mac forums, you'll find that most iPhone owners admit the same thing. There are threads in every iPhone forum on how much notifications suck on the iPhone and ideas to fix it. You're the one generalizing.
    Well then why all the tit-for-tat over the technicalities of what "multitasking" is? The only thing I'm generalizing about is when you put it all together which one works better.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    That might have been my suggestion. Another thing to note is that when restoring a "singleton" application (like mail or contacts, in which only one instance is allowed at a time) from the background, it restores the card at the far right (or top of the deck) instead of back in it's original place in the stack. I think this is done because it wants to keep the apps you are more likely to use together side-by-side at the top of the deck, which is helpful when using this advanced gesture.
    The one thing I think it could do better is wrap-around with the open apps.
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Well then why all the tit-for-tat over the technicalities of what "multitasking" is?
    Because he was wrong. Cue "Somebody's wrong on the internet" XCKD (sp).

    The only thing I'm generalizing about is when you put it all together which one works better.
    Notifications and multi-tasking is better on the Pre than on the iPhone. If you put a poll up in a mac forum, I'll bet you 80% of respondents agree. You said,

    The reality is that the way the Pre handles multiple applications is just waaaay better. Same with notifications. Why can't anyone accept that?
    That's generalizing. It's alright, it's not a big deal. I just had the time to resopnd so I did.
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    Regarding the Pre's ability to load web pages in the background, yes it is able to do it. I just opened up 3 Web cards and had each load up a bookmark of a fairly complex page. It did load up each page completely, but it didn't update the card view surprisingly. The card view shows up as a white card, but upon opening up the web card, the page just appeared (no additional page download necessary, no additional page rendering, the page just appeared and was useable).
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Exact same as on the iPhone 3GS.
    So are you confirming Safari on the 3GS can load web pages while working in another app?
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    So are you confirming Safari on the 3GS can load web pages while working in another app?
    Oops! I was referring to his last sentence in that while IN Safari the background pages are white cards but are fully loaded and ready for reading.

    I'll get back to you soon.
  10. #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Oops! I was referring to his last sentence in that while IN Safari the background pages are white cards but are fully loaded and ready for reading.

    I'll get back to you soon.
    lol. Okay cool. I was hoping you didn't forget. The reason I ask too is because I notice how my girlfriend uses her Blackberry Curve. Even though the browser isn't great she's able to let a page load, go back to an email or text message to reply, and they head back to the browser with a full page. On my Treo I hate having to decide either to wait for the page to load and then go to a text message or to go to the message first and then back to an unloaded page.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  11. #151  
    On my iphone I hated having to close pandora to either read a text msg or look something up online.
  12. #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    lol. Okay cool. I was hoping you didn't forget. The reason I ask too is because I notice how my girlfriend uses her Blackberry Curve. Even though the browser isn't great she's able to let a page load, go back to an email or text message to reply, and they head back to the browser with a full page. On my Treo I hate having to decide either to wait for the page to load and then go to a text message or to go to the message first and then back to an unloaded page.
    It works on the 3GS! I started NYTimes.com loading, pressed home to get to the home screen. I waited 10 seconds (I'm on 3G network) and then opened Safari and it was fully loaded. I also confirmed on some other sites.

    This also means that pages that auto-refresh will do so while not in Safari. This could be the cause of some people's bad battery life on both the Pre and iPhone. Mac forums generally recommend closing all Safari pages on the iPhone before going to sleep or something because they might refresh in the background if the site calls for it (like a liveblog or something).

    Very cool.
  13. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #153  
    These Iphone Fan Boiiis can't stand the fact that there is one area where the iphone fails miserably (for people that care about multi-tasking anyway)
    and i have an Ipod touch and love it!! carry it with me everywhere and it is my music player of choice...so much for fanboiism
  14. #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    These Iphone Fan Boiiis can't stand the fact that there is one area where the iphone fails miserably (for people that care about multi-tasking anyway)
    and i have an Ipod touch and love it!! carry it with me everywhere and it is my music player of choice...so much for fanboiism
    What in Jobs' name are you talking about? We know that Pre notifications are far better and that multi-tasking on the Pre is far better (because we can only do it in like 3 built-in apps on the iPhone). We know it and we admit it. If you read iPhone forums you'd see almost everyone agrees. You're the one creating an adversarial mentality and making baseless assertions.
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    It works on the 3GS! I started NYTimes.com loading, pressed home to get to the home screen. I waited 10 seconds (I'm on 3G network) and then opened Safari and it was fully loaded. I also confirmed on some other sites.

    This also means that pages that auto-refresh will do so while not in Safari. This could be the cause of some people's bad battery life on both the Pre and iPhone. Mac forums generally recommend closing all Safari pages on the iPhone before going to sleep or something because they might refresh in the background if the site calls for it (like a liveblog or something).

    Very cool.
    Not bad. Thanks for confirming.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  16. #156  
    It comes in handy however I don't use it much but when I do it's great.
  17. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    What in Jobs' name are you talking about? We know that Pre notifications are far better and that multi-tasking on the Pre is far better (because we can only do it in like 3 built-in apps on the iPhone). We know it and we admit it. If you read iPhone forums you'd see almost everyone agrees. You're the one creating an adversarial mentality and making baseless assertions.
    Again i disagree. The topic of this thead is what again? "who cares about multiple apps open" and the author then spews venom on how the pre doesn't really multi task and/or the pre's multitasking is not innovative or revolutionary. I'm just here to school the haters.
  18. #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Again i disagree. The topic of this thead is what again? "who cares about multiple apps open" and the author then spews venom on how the pre doesn't really multi task and/or the pre's multitasking is not innovative or revolutionary. I'm just here to school the haters.
    Do you have a spit-shined sheriff badge?

    A couple fanboys out of all the iPhone users in the world. I bet 80% of iPhone users would admit the Pre handles multi-tasking and notifications better. Start a thread on it in a mac forum. You'll get yelled at because it's beating a dead horse, everyone already knows notifications are better. We have threads dedicated to trying to get Apple to handle notifications better. It's no secret.
  19. #159  
    me
  20. #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    actually i send texts while on the phone all the time. get your damn facts straight.

    So your Pre is able to go beyond the documented limitations of CDMA EVDO which are that you can not handle data at the same time as using a voice connection?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions