Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Can somebody make this thread a sticky and lock it because it is a classic great forum read .

And please everyone...

Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    Says the guy named 'Searchable' who joined PreCentral forums in June. If you don't like the Pre you must have a serious case of self-loathing right now.

Did I mention you can use:

Phone & Calendar
    Phone & SMS
    Phone & Email

ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!! If someone can't see the obvious advantage in that I guess no amount of explaining (defending) will help. Whatever gripes people may have with the Pre these are the 'Killer Apps' that most people appreciate very much. To dismiss this functionality as being useless just makes you look biased or uninformed.

Don't all other smart phones do this already?

And because of the Sprint network the Pre doesn't do phone & email, nor phone & sms at same time since it can't send the data until you hang up.

(p.s., android and iphone does before you say it doesn't)...
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    actually i send texts while on the phone all the time. get your damn facts straight.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    no one seems to see the point except for a few the point was there is only a few things worth using on this phone. I think multitasking is great but there isnt much to multitask with
    Well, you're correct. There isn't a vast offering of software in this very young phone. But there will be. Here's a tip. When that new spell check/grammar check application comes along, buy it, load it and run it at all times in the background. You need it. And you can then see why multitasking is important.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    i find that the claim to fame for palm pre is lame, wow im so excited i can play sudoku all while accuweather is updating live, all while i can check movie times, next will be able to do all this why we see how the weather is in china point is having multiple things at once is great if they are great. Im a little over the useless apps. Just an impatient person i guess but im on my third pre ans so is my wife and it dosent seem worth it.
    I guess the easiest thing I could say is that you missed the point of multitasking. You're probably better suited for an iPhone anyway.

The fact of the matter is, for people with a real business purpose in life, being able to alternate between an email and a web page, or between your calendar and other tasks is pretty important and makes life pretty easy. Even in a non-business setting this ability can be useful for organizing your life.

Most importantly, don't troll, and don't trash on people who DO enjoy the feature.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    I hate to burst people's bubble but.for most things the Pre uses some sort of saved state return and is not actually updating the other cards / multitasking.

Actually its more similar to the iphones system than people realize the cards are really just an illusion.

Open gps on google maps and le it do its thing. Open a browser and surf for a few minutes and go back to the gps and you will see your old location until it updates.

Same with SMS if you are on the iphone and get a text while in safari you can enter the texting app and respond and when you return to safari it is where you left off.

Right now the only app that actually updates in the backround that doesn't in the ipgone is pandora and we all have seen what that does to our system.

At least that has been my experience with my Pre thus far. The phone does saved state return well with the cute cards but pwning it off as multi tasking is a stretch.
    Have to agree. I had about 10 cards open with 3 of them being websites. No video or music..just phone, sms, email, some web, tweeter app, etc.

I go back to a web card and it RELOADS the webpage. Not cool.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Not true. Scroll through any list and then quickly minimize the card. It still scrolls!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Not true. Scroll through any list and then quickly minimize the card. It still scrolls!!!
    For a second or two yes but after that it stops updating. Go to a website with animation and you will see it is in a saved syate not actually updating.

This makes the Pre and rhe Iphone much more similar than people realize.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    For a second or two yes but after that it stops updating. Go to a website with animation and you will see it is in a saved syate not actually updating.

Not true. WebOS is just a better Os and has far more potential than Iphone Os. Whatever YOU define as multi-tasking is irrelevant. The same way when Apple considers copy and paste to be revolutionary, the masses lap it up like dogs.

The Pre Multi-Tasks. End of Story.
    Not true. WebOS is just a better Os and has far more potential than Iphone Os. Whatever YOU define as multi-tasking is irrelevant. The same way when Apple considers copy and paste to be revolutionary, the masses lap it up like dogs.

The Pre Multi-Tasks. End of Story.
    Whatever dude. I've provided proof while you stuck your fingers in your ears and choose not to listen. No use debating something with a fanboi that has no interest in looking at things objectively.

The card system is very nifty and provides the illusion of multi tasking but it is not multi tasking.

Also the only app which actually multi tasks or in some fashion provides an advantage over the Iphone at this time is Pandora.
    such a pointless thread. if you dont like the pre, or think the multi-tasking is "fake" then freakin return it. go get an enV from VZ or an iPhone. Or another piece of junk WM phone that does multi-tasking. these threads are never ending, no winners, no losers, just a bunch of the same thing page after page!

It's true that the web browser does save its state in certain instances. I think this is for some larger or intensive pages. There are instances where no reload is neede. I haven't figured it out exactly yet.

I do know that Sprint Nav does truly run in the background though. Put it in card view, swap to another app, go back to card view, and watch it update at the side (even when it's not the centered card).
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Whatever dude. I've provided proof while you stuck your fingers in your ears and choose not to listen. No use debating something with a fanboi that has no interest in looking at things objectively.

The card system is very nifty and provides the illusion of multi tasking but it is not multi tasking.

Also the only app which actually multi tasks or in some fashion provides an advantage over the Iphone at this time is Pandora.
    Untrue. I am not a "fanboi". And yes the Pre multi-tasks.
    Your arguments fail. Learn what multi-tasking is and go back to closing and opening apps on your Iphone.
    Untrue. I am not a "fanboi". And yes the Pre multi-tasks.
    Your arguments fail. Learn what multi-tasking is and go back to closing and opening apps on your Iphone.
    What am I doing right now? Oh, I'm using my web browser over a 3G connection while talking on the phone. Multi-tasking? Sure. Hey, I'm in a SMS, I just tapped the home button twice. My iPod controls pop up? Sounds like multi-tasking to me. I can play music in the background while I'm in any app. That's multi-tasking.

The iPhone doesn't have multi-tasking for 3rd party apps (which is a definite advantage for the Pre), but learn to get your facts straight.

Oh, and just a hint, but with the 3GS, opening and closing apps takes barely any time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by IMethos
    Yes, you are a fanboy. You give absolutely no evidence for any of your claims and try oh-so-hard to mask your disdain for Apple and its customers.

It's not just Pandora but all similar apps running in the background have an advantage over the iPhone. Navigation, contacts, calendar, web browser, etc. For example, the iPhone 3GS still has to refresh when working with multiple pages.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    It's not just Pandora but all similar apps running in the background have an advantage over the iPhone. Navigation, contacts, calendar, web browser, etc. For example, the iPhone 3GS still has to refresh when working with multiple pages.
    That's not true. Have you even used a new 3GS? EVERYONE who has one (including me, because I have one in front of me) knows that Safari pages don't need to be reloaded anymore. In fact, I have 7 pages loaded in Safari right now, but I'm in my home screen. Let's jump back in to Safari....what do you know, they're all still there without needing to be reloaded! BTW, they also load in the background when you're in other pages. The only difference is that the *previews* aren't live updating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    That's not true in Safari (which I'm assuming you're talking about). Have you used a new 3GS? EVERYONE is reporting that Safari pages don't need to be reloaded. In fact, I have 7 pages loaded in Safari right now, but I'm in my home screen. Let's jump back in to Safari....what do you know, they're all still there without needing to be reloaded! BTW, they also load in the background when you're in other pages. The only difference is that the *previews* aren't live updating.
    Really? I have used my brother's but I'll have to try that out then. So are you saying the previews aren't blank white pages anymore? You say that it can load pages in the background while on another page but how about while in another app? For example, you start loading a page, click home and go to another app, and when you return to Safari will it be done loading? I'm not even sure if the Pre can do it but I figured it should. lol.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Really? I have used my brother's but I'll have to try that out then.
    iPhone 3G (original 3G versions) are supposed to be better at it with 3.0 than with 2.0, but I'm talking specifically about the 3GS. If your brother has the phone, test it out. It will be able to do it.

Honestly though, this apparently small improvement has made my experience so much more enjoyable over my old 3G. It's one of the best improvements in my eyes because I like to do tabbed browsing in forums and stuff.

And you are correct. I was talking about the blank white previews. You say that it can load pages in the background while on another page but how about while in another app? For example, you start loading a page, click home and go to another app, and when you return to Safari will it be done loading? I'm not even sure if the Pre can do it but I figured it should. lol.
    I *think* it can, I'll post back when I get the chance to test it. I'm pretty sure the Pre can though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    iPhone 3G (original 3G versions) are supposed to be better at it with 3.0 than with 2.0, but I'm talking specifically about the 3GS. If your brother has the phone, test it out. It will be able to do it.

Honestly though, this apparently small improvement has made my experience so much more enjoyable over my old 3G. It's one of the best improvements in my eyes because I like to do tabbed browsing in forums and stuff.
    Yeah my bro has the 3GS and Safari on it has improved so much. It's was very noticeable how good it is when I saw a video comparing the checker box loading on iPhone vs. Pre and Safari won.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 07/01/2009 at 10:40 AM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast