Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    You are angry
    why you pissed
    Seems like he's just bored and wants to cause trouble haha...
    This tread has gone to this.

We Didn't Start the Flame War - video
    Quote Originally Posted by nKoan View Post
    In terms of real usefulness, its pretty damn nice. I remember when I first got the phone, I opened up Pandora and Sprint Nav and had them both going while driving around and getting e-mails and texts. That's a little far fetched and does drain your battery life a bit much, but it was cool to see that all happen.

A more common scenario happened the other day. I got an e-mail, so I opened it up and started responding. In the e-mail I needed to send my friend a link to a website, so I opened up the browser and cut-n-pasted the link into the e-mail. Thats minor, but I could have even been doing other stuff too, like playing Sudoku (not likely cause the one in the app store is terrible) or listening to Pandora or checking Baseball scores, when I was interrupted by the e-mail. The beauty is, though, that all the apps can be running, and once I was done with the e-mail, I could keep on doing whatever it was I was doing.
    I don't think you can realistically use any other app while Pandora is running unless you want it to be really slow.
    I've had Pandora open while running other apps and the Pre wasn't running slowly at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye View Post

Haha. For reals.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye View Post

Beavis that is the coolest thing I have ever seen. There is none higher.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    the apps typically do not have 'substandard speed'- it's startup speed that's substandard. once it's running, and switching between them, are pretty speedy typically. and multi tasking mitigates a big chunk of that.
    It's not a dealbreaker, but I do find the speed within some apps to be slightly annoying. Especially if I see an iPhone in use. Switching between calendar views and viewing the missed call list are just two examples of how the OS needs to be refined.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    I don't think you can realistically use any other app while Pandora is running unless you want it to be really slow.
    Your being sarcastic right? I have pandora on almost all the time...email, messaging even browsing...hell I'm listening to it now!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
    ...then all of a sudden the pre becomes MUCH faster than the iphone b/c to go from internet to email all you have to do is reduce, move card, and expand- much quicker than close, find other app, press it, wait for it to load.
    Tip: turn on the advanced gesture of a full swipe across the bottom (left or right) to switch apps even faster. You'll just need to know the difference between a half swipe and full.

I love multitasking.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Taking a long trip last week I was running Sprint Navigator in the foreground, Pandora streaming in the background and flipping to emails on occasion. Worked great!

Yes, I was reading emails while driving. Sue me.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    There are the easy arguments for multitasking that are just as easy to argue against - Example "I listen to music while..." and "Well yeah the iPhone does that already".

However, the real test are the multitasking situations that aren't planned for - Example: I'm at a restaurant with my daughter and her friend. I'm waiting on them to finish eating and writing a review of the restaurant. They do something cute so I open the camera and snap a pic, then send it to my wife via MMS, switch back to the review, then back to the camera again as they mug some more, back to messaging to answer a question from my wife, then my daughter asks about what movie we can go to so I look up movie times, switch back to messaging to answer another question from my wife, switch back to Fandago to buy the tickets after my daughter and her friend decided which movie to see, then finally switch back to the review I was writing and finish it. All which would have been impossible to do with my previous WinMO phone - it would have taken half an hour to get back and forth in the task manager to the different apps, and would have been impossible on the iPhone because you'd have to close one app to use another back and forth and have to retype everything.

Then there are the other more day to day scenarios like looking up a contact number to give to someone via sms, checking your calendar, and then creating a memo or a task based on that conversation and still be able to switch back to the conversation easily.

From a usability perspective WebOS wins because multitasking provides low cognitive load. You simply leave the app open and when you return to it from wherever, it's in the same state you left it in, meaning you don't have to remember where you left off, what you were doing, or how to get back to where you were.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    For everyone who gets so bent out of shape for anyone who posts something negative about the pre, get over it
    Posting negative comments and unsatisfactory experiences is actually a great tool for people to share experiences and learn how to improve the device.

But when someone says something so blatantly ridiculous and ill thought out as 'who cares about multiple apps open' Not even something more coherent like 'who cares about multi-tasking'. How can you possibly be surprised when everyone doesn't jump on your bandwagon and sing your praises for such brilliant insight?

Of all the complaints about the Pre, (many of which are valid) for someone to say the multi-tasking abilities are 'lame' is fairly incredulous and not likely to find many like minded supporters.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    There are the easy arguments for multitasking that are just as easy to argue against - Example "I listen to music while..." and "Well yeah the iPhone does that already".
    ...snip...
    the iphone does that... to some extent. i.e. in pure ipod mode, but not listening to music streaming from the net for example...
    agreed bam needs an iphone ok we are all done here case closed problem solved lol
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    the iphone does that... to some extent. i.e. in pure ipod mode, but not listening to music streaming from the net for example...
    Yes. And that was his example of 'mickey mouse' multitasking.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Yes. And that was his example of 'mickey mouse' multitasking.
    Mickey mouse??? There's an app for that.
    Multitasking....Theres no app for that!!
    What?? Multitasking is a selling point!

Last week I took my little sisters on a day trip downtown and balboa park. I was snapping tons of pics of us, uploading them to facebook or flickr, messaging friends, and showing the videos on youtube while we rode the bus, and I was searching on google museum information and times,all pretty much without closing one or the other, as I was continously doing all of them (except for youtube).
    You know, I'm really beginning to think that the people that make these kinds of threads just wants a little attention
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast