Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    i find that the claim to fame for palm pre is lame, wow im so excited i can play sudoku all while accuweather is updating live, all while i can check movie times, next will be able to do all this why we see how the weather is in china point is having multiple things at once is great if they are great. Im a little over the useless apps. Just an impatient person i guess but im on my third pre ans so is my wife and it dosent seem worth it.
    Do you prefer using a DOS computer over windows?
    I think there are iPhone folks here because a lot of us were big fans(!!) of WebOs (myself included) , but were disappointed by the Pre for a variety of reasons and decided to not buy one (I am still shocked it wasn't to my liking). I still come and read the couple threads I get subscription notifications as I find the discussions comparing contrasting Pre or IpHone flaws interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    There are plenty of Pre fans on iPhone boards. They get some fanboy responses like, "the pre sucks", but most iPhone users accept the Pre for what it is: a good competitor to the iPhone that has definite advantages over it in multi-tasking and the notification system but also some clear disadvantages. Your horse sure looks high from down here...
    So you're saying that we get all the reject iPhone fanboys while the good ones stay on their board?
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    not my fault palm made a crappy phone and i didnt know u were the fourms grammer police but keep up the good work
    Heh, that's awesome. Clearly, I correctly identified your tactics. Oh, and by the way, I wasn't just criticizing your grammar (note the correct spelling, please). I was criticizing your methods, your communication ability, and your intelligence. Can you give any evidence that my criticism is wrong? I doubt it, just as you utterly failed to give any reason to believe that the Pre is a "crappy" phone. You got completely and utterly owned, and yet you address me dismissively. Keep it up. Please, reply. I'd love to have more ammunition. There's just something really special about a person that makes an *** of themselves virtually on demand.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I think that once Palm optimizes webOS to have apps launch a lot quicker, say as quick as the iPhone 3GS, Apple fanboys won't have much to brag about anymore. As we would have the speed of launching apps, plus the seamless way to switch between them and run multiple applications.

Both phones have similar processors, so it shouldn't be TOO hard.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismode View Post
    I think that once Palm optimizes webOS to have apps launch a lot quicker, say as quick as the iPhone 3GS, Apple fanboys won't have much to brag about anymore. As we would have the speed of launching apps, plus the seamless way to switch between them and run multiple applications.

I'm not an apple anboy but this would keep me from becoming one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismode View Post

its harder than you think it a whole different os
    WebOS will always be slower because every app basically launches a new browser to run in.

There is a misconception in understanding the "lightness" of webOS. It mostly takes away the burden off of Palm and app developers at the cost of efficiency.

That's how a tiny company like Palm could bootstrap a new OS, normally a huge undertaking.

The browser gives Palm a flexible layout engine, a proven sandbox and a solid runtime that developers are well familiar with. At the same time this means that Palm is limited in finely controlling execution efficiency.

While Apple tweaks the underlying OSX core for UI smoothness and supposed battery life, Palm can't do much.

I'm convinced that multitasking has come as a result of precisely allowing browsers to just run, which is the simplest thing Palm could do. In a way I can see why People think webOS is a hack, but it's a brilliant one and the onus is on other vendors to justify their complex architectures.

It really is an ingeniuous move. The advantages for users are indirect though, as this environment is about making development and deployment extremely simple, which in theory should result in rapid development of apps on the platform.

But the performance issues are part of the deal. You give some efficiency in return for flexibility. As long as the hardware can support it, which has become a reality only now, it should be viable.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    WebOS will always be slower because every app basically launches a new browser to run in.

There is a misconception in understanding the "lightness" of webOS. It mostly takes away the burden off of Palm and app developers at the cost of efficiency.

That's how a tiny company like Palm could bootstrap a new OS, normally a huge undertaking.

The browser gives Palm a flexible layout engine, a proven sandbox and a solid runtime that developers are well familiar with. At the same time this means that Palm is limited in finely controlling execution efficiency.

While Apple tweaks the underlying OSX core for UI smoothness and supposed battery life, Palm can't do much.

I'm convinced that multitasking has come as a result of precisely allowing browsers to just run, which is the simplest thing Palm could do. In a way I can see why People think webOS is a hack, but it's a brilliant one and the onus is on other vendors to justify their complex architectures.

It really is an ingeniuous move. The advantages for users are indirect though, as this environment is about making development and deployment extremely simple, which in theory should result in rapid development of apps on the platform.

But the performance issues are part of the deal. You give some efficiency in return for flexibility. As long as the hardware can support it, which has become a reality only now, it should be viable.
    I remember when the iPhone came out, Apple planned to have all WebApps and everyone complained that it would be way to slow. Now Palm came out and did the same thing. The only downside is palm can only run web apps whereas iphone can run both.
    Apple's idea was strictly web apps with no access to the underlying OS. WebOS apps run locally and can call system services. They are first class applications.

And as I said, this kind of OS is only viable on today's hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    Heh, that's awesome. Clearly, I correctly identified your tactics. Oh, and by the way, I wasn't just criticizing your grammar (note the correct spelling, please). I was criticizing your methods, your communication ability, and your intelligence. Can you give any evidence that my criticism is wrong? I doubt it, just as you utterly failed to give any reason to believe that the Pre is a "crappy" phone. You got completely and utterly owned, and yet you address me dismissively. Keep it up. Please, reply. I'd love to have more ammunition. There's just something really special about a person that makes an *** of themselves virtually on demand.
    I love you lol (no homo)
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I love it like crazy. That is one of the top reasons I got the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    I remember when the iPhone came out, Apple planned to have all WebApps and everyone complained that it would be way to slow. Now Palm came out and did the same thing. The only downside is palm can only run web apps whereas iphone can run both.
    I'm starting to see why they thought that would work since I've been playing around quite a bit with some of the newer web apps on the iPhone like Gmail that actually caches information to the phone. HTML5 is pretty cool and I hope to see wide adoption very quickly.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    I'm not an apple anboy but this would keep me from becoming one.
    Elaborate?
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Browsers can be tweaked, look at the differences between newer and older browsers, or between IE and Chrome. Any tweaks in the Palm browser will not only speed up the browser but also speed up all the apps, so that means there's just one place they need to tweak.

The overall power also depends on the APIs they open up.
    it depends on what you are actually using your device for. The purpose of it is obviously to use it as a life organizer. plus a phone and media stuff. if you dont need help organizing your life (family life, home life, business work life, your kids' life and your social life) and you dont need to be constantly adding things to your calander, adding tasks to task list, texting people, emailing people all while listening to music and talking on the phone.....then you dont need the pre.

LOTS of people have a billion things to do in one day and MULTITASKING gets it all done in a timely manner.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suzi View Post
    Do you prefer using a DOS computer over windows?
    Oh, man I wanted to say that. Glad I searched first
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Synergy is GREAT! I use Facebook to put pictures on my contact. Could you want more!
    I'm just going to comment on this. webOS does not launch a new browser for each app. They are treated much in the same way multiple tabs are treated in Firefox/Safari.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Pre already opens Apps faster than the iPhone, if you use........Multitasking.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast