Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Dobry wieczór, Pretoo!

I'm looking the way how to type in ukrainian using virtual keyboard....

Did you success? I made ukrainain theme for VK, modified files, but every time when i type i see blocks... so looks like i need to change some specific fonts on other that contain cyrillic...

Thank you in advance....

Andrzej from Kiev)))
  2. iii
    Please excuse my ignorance. I'm new to the Pre. How do you "root" your Pre. Thanks
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dubiki View Post
    Dobry wieczór, Pretoo!

I'm looking the way how to type in ukrainian using virtual keyboard....

Did you success? I made ukrainain theme for VK, modified files, but every time when i type i see blocks... so looks like i need to change some specific fonts on other that contain cyrillic...

Thank you in advance....

Andrzej from Kiev)))
    Hay Andrzej!
    I don't use a Virtual Keyboard. It gives me a bugs, besides I've bought Pre for it's real, phisical keyboard.
    But in Your case I think there's no other choise.
    Or maybe You could choose a alternatechars_table.json to enter a specific cyrilic letters.
    I don't really know.
    Or maybe is there some file that isn't "alternate".
    I think that post written by jwsh in this tread (sorry, cant't post links ATM)
    is the best answer for You.
    Hebrew & Cyrilic have one in common: it's different than Latin .
    Ask jwsh is there a way to force Pre to write in Your native language.
    Wish You luck!
    Gabriel (I think in ukrainian it's Gavriel)from Krakow.
    Well, I tried this using thai fonts I find on the net (e.g. Thai Unicode Fonts), but it doesn't seem to work for me. I still cannot read thai songs in the music media player.
    Quote Originally Posted by chabsin View Post
    Assuming you've already previously rooted your Pre, you can do what I just did:

1. Download the file at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/freefont/f...0060126.tar.gz
    2. Extract FreeSans.ttf
    3. Connect your PRE as USB drive, and copy the FreeSans.ttf to the 'downloads' folder
    4. Root your pre: enable developer mode, then from your Windows command prompt, type 'Novacom -t open tty://'
    5. 'mount -o remount,rw /' to enter read/write mode
    6. 'cp /usr/share/fonts/batang.ttf /media/internal/downloads' to backup the original batang.ttf
    7. 'cp /media/internal/downloads/FreeSans.ttf /usr/share/fonts/batang.ttf' to Overwrite the preinstalled batang.ttf with FreeSans.ttf (if prompted whether to overwrite batang.ttf, answer 'y')
    8. 'mount -o remount,ro /' to go back to read only
    9. Reboot your phone (you may want to exit Develepor Mode first). Congratulations, you can now read Hebrew

Try at your own risk. I know nothing about Linux -- just browsed a bit and figured out how to follow jwsh's instructions.

Shalom!
    Thanks! it works!
    just to clarify, one step is missing from the directions.
    After step 3, you need to switch the connection from "USB Drive" to "just charge"
    I've tried this. I replaced batang.ttf with freesans.ttf from the GNU Free Font. But when I try to view Thai text, as was why I tried this, it is still the same. I can verify that the batagn.ttf now on my Pre is the freesant.ttf file. But also when I was listing files on the Pre I see that there is a freefont directory under /usr/share/fonts with the GNU Free Font inside. OK, not the latest version as I tried to put on. Hebrew as somebody else was looking for did not work either. I wonder why it is not working for me.

I have German GSM Pre with webOS 1.4.1 on. I use the webOS internals terminal to walk the filesystem to verify the file was changed. And I have restarted the phone.
    Last edited by jpyllmn; 05/26/2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chabsin View Post
    Assuming you've already previously rooted your Pre, you can do what I just did:

1. Download the file at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/freefont/f...0060126.tar.gz
    2. Extract FreeSans.ttf
    3. Connect your PRE as USB drive, and copy the FreeSans.ttf to the 'downloads' folder
    4. Root your pre: enable developer mode, then from your Windows command prompt, type 'Novacom -t open tty://'
    5. 'mount -o remount,rw /' to enter read/write mode
    6. 'cp /usr/share/fonts/batang.ttf /media/internal/downloads' to backup the original batang.ttf
    7. 'cp /media/internal/downloads/FreeSans.ttf /usr/share/fonts/batang.ttf' to Overwrite the preinstalled batang.ttf with FreeSans.ttf (if prompted whether to overwrite batang.ttf, answer 'y')
    8. 'mount -o remount,ro /' to go back to read only
    9. Reboot your phone (you may want to exit Develepor Mode first). Congratulations, you can now read Hebrew

Try at your own risk. I know nothing about Linux -- just browsed a bit and figured out how to follow jwsh's instructions.

Shalom!

after step 3. remember to switch the USB connection to "Just charge"..
    I have hebrew installed in my palm, and it works. However in my music player, i can't read any of the hebrew albums. Anybody know how to fix that?
    Quote Originally Posted by stan.forums View Post
    I have hebrew installed in my palm, and it works. However in my music player, i can't read any of the hebrew albums. Anybody know how to fix that?
    Most likly the text in the ID3 tags in your MP3 is not UTF-8 encoded. So the Palm software does not know what characters it is. And I'm actually not sure if ID3 can contain UTF-8 characters.
    i am not really sure what you mean and for sure i don't know how to fix it. However, when i look at the titles on my PC i can see the Hebrew.
    Everyone seems focused on *replacing* font files.
    Apparently nobody needs the actual batang.ttf...
    But by doing this, there seems to be a problem with reading e-mail subject lines and song titles.

Thanks to a friend, my Pre contains *altered* fonts.
    About a dozen of the standard fonts have been altered to include the unicode characters that I need.

I am able to view these characters everywhere I have tried.
    I can even type them with the virtual keyboard.
    (After the US gets 1.4.5 I hope to be able to type them with the physical keyboard.)

webOS Developer
    does anyone think they can help me do this for arabic? I downloaded an arabic.ttf font and tried replacing that in the instructions that were given but it didn't work. I also use hebrew and that works perfectly but since I already replaced the bataang.ttf with the freesans.ttf I figured I would replace the VL-PGothic-Regular.ttf with the font I downloaded. I'm really new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    What would be really cool is if someone could develop an app that changes fonts on the fly (and probably a Luna reboot). One of my jailbreak favorite apps when I was an iPhone user.
    And roneyii, would you mind telling us how your friend altered your fonts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    And roneyii, would you mind telling us how your friend altered your fonts?
    I pulled all the fonts off the device, edited them with a font editor (I think it was Fontlab) and added the font symbols I needed. Then I just put them back onto the device. They can now be added by simply installing a theme from prethemer.

All the symbols I added were in the PUA block. I only had to add 29 or so.

This probably won't work for scripts like arabic, since the characters change based on their position and I don't know if webOS supports this yet. It should work for writing systems that don't have changing characters.
    I need someone to explain in a very simple word how to install the hebrew fonts in the palm - i dont understand anything about this phone and i even cant find the Windows command prompt... sorry...
    i browsed in Israeli site and i fond this way to install the font without success -

1. Download the Hebrew Font.

2. We assume you are familiar with webOSQuickInstall, if the answer is no, please return after you visit the detailed guide at precentral.net

3. rename the font you’ve downloaded to batang.ttf

4. after you open the webOSQuickInstall select the send file from the tools menu.

5. select destination folder to: /usr/share/fonts

6. press send to device button.

7. restart the device – enjoy Hebrew…

can someone help me???
    tx
    hi irit,

I am assuming that you looked at the palm preacher site. I followed their instructions and got Hebrew working. the idea is to download the batang.ttf file to your computer and then once it is on your computer, you copy it to your phone.

Did you copy the batang.ttf file to your computer?

the way to copy the file from the computer to the palm pre is with webosinstall. in order to make webosinstall copy the file to your phone you have to put the phone into developer mode

if you get stuck let me know where
    Thanks for quick answer!
    I downloaded the webosinstall and also the batang.ttf but... when i open the webosinstall and choose the file to send (the batang.ttf) it said error - no connection and then i cant do nothing...
    i will try the developer mode (i know how to get there from google...da!)
    i will let you know... thanks
    I GOT IT! The Hebrew is working perfect - love it!!! Thanks much!!!
    Does this work with Thai? I tried doing this with Thai fonts, but the websites do not show up properly. Even the text messages don't work.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast