webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Spazzing out with webOS app developer Ed Finkler
Spazzing out with webOS app developer Ed Finkler

Old 06/29/2009, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

An Interview from Arstechnica discussing WebOS development with Ed Finkler (creator of Spaz)

Spazzing out with webOS app developer Ed Finkler - Ars Technica

It is nice to hear developers paint such a positive light on WebOS, not only has a mobile operating system, but also as a development platform. Good Read!

Last edited by alundre; 06/29/2009 at 12:17 PM.
Alundre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: fretless
Old 06/29/2009, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

lots of talk about web apps and java but honsetly that isn't very encouraging considering what othrr more notable platforms allow.

If this holds webos may be easy to develop for just don't expect anything more than web apps. I don't find that very encouraging. No wonder several long time palm developers are passing on the platform.
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
lots of talk about web apps and java but honsetly that isn't very encouraging considering what othrr more notable platforms allow.

If this holds webos may be easy to develop for just don't expect anything more than web apps. I don't find that very encouraging. No wonder several long time palm developers are passing on the platform.
I don't believe Java was discussed at all in the article.
Old 06/29/2009, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

java script. I got interruptrd and posting from the phone.
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

There will be a solution for doing thing besides webapps/dashboard style apps. To think otherwise is silly.
sam1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

I read the article, and walked away with a totally different impression:

Quote:
A message bus is used to expose underlying platform capabilities to third-party applications through JavaScript. This means that third-party webOS software has full access to hardware features like the GPS and camera, and it also has the ability to leverage software features like the addressbook and dialer.
and this:
Quote:
but he did confirm that the framework is robust enough to build applications that are comparable to Palm's own. It's evidently much more sophisticated than the Web widget system that Apple offered for the iPhone prior to the launch of the iPhone SDK. Third-party webOS applications are not mere Web widgets but full-fledged applications that are built with Web technologies
Of course, if one is looking for things to constantly be disappointed about, they're likely to miss stuff like this.

This phone has been out three weeks to the general public, and the SDK is not only not released yet, it's still being worked on! I'm more convinced now than I was in early June, that this will be a device that's going places!
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
There will be a solution for doing thing besides webapps/dashboard style apps. To think otherwise is silly.
Correct...from the Article...

Quote:
Finkler could not specifically discuss these aspects of the SDK or disclose the scope of platform features accessible to third-party developers, but he did confirm that the framework is robust enough to build applications that are comparable to Palm's own. It's evidently much more sophisticated than the Web widget system that Apple offered for the iPhone prior to the launch of the iPhone SDK. Third-party webOS applications are not mere Web widgets but full-fledged applications that are built with Web technologies.
Doh! Hparsons beat me to it
Alundre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
I read the article, and walked away with a totally different impression:

and this:

Of course, if one is looking for things to constantly be disappointed about, they're likely to miss stuff like this.

This phone has been out three weeks to the general public, and the SDK is not only not released yet, it's still being worked on! I'm more convinced now than I was in early June, that this will be a device that's going places!
Yep. The current app model will be of limited usefulness for things that are graphically intensive/have to have high-performance drawing or the like. If you don't need that, it's really a matter of Palm exposing capabilities as services to the apps. Applications that do need more extensive computation or drawing speed will probably (I'm speculating entirely) use a runtime embedded as a plugin, like Classic does.

That being said, writing to the metal is cool and for some classes of apps (games especially) it really is called for. The *vast* majority of apps -- productivity, communitcation, etc -- don't push limits, except maybe the single-threaded nature of the JS engine (implementing WebWorkers would be a big win).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0