webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Where are all the apps?
Where are all the apps?

Old 06/29/2009, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

We have had access to the SDK for a few days and I'm surprised by how few apps are available. Also, what's up with the thousands of developers that have the official SDK? Am I being too naive with how long it takes to create an app?

Just seems like NOTHING has blossomed in the last few weeks.
dcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Agreed, in fact, I was just thinking this... Perhaps there are some obstacles that us "non-Developers" are not aware of...
jhumberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

The leaked sdk doesn't contain any documentation, so people have to fool around to learn things. And official sdk users can't release any info due to the NDA.
mosdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

The official SDK users don't have to leak information; they have to put out some amazing apps!! and quick!
Old 06/29/2009, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

The question you should be asking yourself is, will palm allow people who are using the leaked SDK to even put apps in the app catalog? I'd imagine the answer is just... no, yet I don't know that for sure.

Not to mention, it can take some time to develop an app. The spaz guy says it took him the equivalent of a full month of full time work to create his twitter app. I think you're jumping the gun here.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
We have had access to the SDK for a few days and I'm surprised by how few apps are available. Also, what's up with the thousands of developers that have the official SDK? Am I being too naive with how long it takes to create an app?

Just seems like NOTHING has blossomed in the last few weeks.
Well, I can only speak for myself. And I also have other responsibilities in life other than Pre hacking.

Before Friday, I didn't have a Pre. So I only read through the WebOS book and the source code in the Pre Fixer jar package. I had assumed I would have to Root and code the "hard way".

Saturday, I downloaded the leaked SDK. Worked like many here to figure out the prerequisite apps. Figure out what the commands do. Poke around the emulator.

Sunday, I started coding real apps. And do dishes and laundry.

They are going to start coming sooner. Personally I hope all the developers get past the "cool I made an App" phase and make good solid apps.

As for the thousands of "official" app developers, they must wait until Palm allows them to distribute via the App Catalog. I would assume Palm is working on the local files delete on uninstall issue before getting too many Apps in the wild, as that could fill the filesystem without a way for the end user to fix.
sacherjj#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

We all feel your pain man trust us we do. There should be more and more apps coming out not just due to the leaked SDK but to the many developers that got there hands on the SDK early remember this list here http://www.precentral.net/pre-applications-galore this is the list of developers that were releasing an app on or around the Pre launch. And based on the apps we have now in the app catalog it seems to be pretty accurate. So there is loopt that is still out there and a direct tv app and lets not forget sling media. So be patient we will get all the apps we can handle
BigB504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

IMO there is no point in rushing these things. People get all crazy asking "where are the apps!!!" and then those very same people will b-i-t-c-h about the quality of that hastily developed software. If I was a homebrew developer that would certainly keep me from releasing anything beta-ish until I had tested it out for a few weeks.

Besides these homebrew guys have a life with kids, wives, work and whatever else.
ryleyinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

That all makes sense. Of course people have their own lives outside of Pre hacking, but for some, there may be a little more time than others. But, really, I wasn't sure how long it actually takes to create an app on webOS so that is why I asked.

Go get 'em webOS devs!
Old 06/30/2009, 02:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

One word: QA. People are really never happy. They want things now but then complain when things don't work properly.
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 02:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

1. Stop complaining and try making some apps yourself..
2. There's very little documentation on how to make an app. You can't just hit the help button in the leaked SDK and lookup a command or API.
3. I've made a simple app but I'm waiting to get access to the homebrew app forum so I can post it...
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 02:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy View Post
One word: QA. People are really never happy. They want things now but then complain when things don't work properly.
I wish I was to the QA stage yet. I'm not even there.
Old 06/30/2009, 07:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

No reason to complain about the home brew apps. Any apps we get from there are simply bonus.

Palm is dropping the ball on the apps thing however. They were doing great, releasing an app or two a day there for the first week. Its far better I think to get an app a day into the store rather than say nothing for a month and then dump like 15 on us.

I can't believe with ALL those developers they have they only managed to get 30 finished apps
Zyphlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 07:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Whoa people. Chill out. I wasn't "complaining" or "whining" about the apps. It was a simple question hoping for some responses about why the apps are slow to trickle out. By the way, I do not know how to code any apps so I won't be trying. I was hoping you all would love to start pushing out some awesome apps. But I understand it does take time.

How about reading the questions before assuming posts like this are negative or derogatory?
Old 06/30/2009, 07:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
I can't believe with ALL those developers they have they only managed to get 30 finished apps
Maybe they're waiting for the final app catalog so they can actually be paid for their work. Not forced to give their apps out for free.
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 09:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruba View Post
Maybe they're waiting for the final app catalog so they can actually be paid for their work. Not forced to give their apps out for free.
Repost for truth!

I know I would want to know pricing options and how apps will be paid for prior to releasing my app if I was a full time dev.
artitumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruba View Post
If from Palm's entire app store upon "full" launch they only have 30...actually, Classic is going to be paid and connect 4 only has 10 launches...so 28 "free" apps then they may as well kick the bucket.

Having an app store is important in today's market place, but part of the appeal of it is a decent selection of free offerings to attract people to your phone, which then gets them on long enough to pay. If all you have is a few generic free offerings and EVERYTHING else is to be paid for that's going to be problem.

This is doubly the case when Sprint and Palm is pushing this thing as the "affordable" alternative to the iPhone. That becomes less the case if there's almost no free apps and if the ones that we have to buy are primarily $5-$10 or more.
Old 06/30/2009, 12:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
If from Palm's entire app store upon "full" launch they only have 30...actually, Classic is going to be paid and connect 4 only has 10 launches...so 28 "free" apps then they may as well kick the bucket.

Having an app store is important in today's market place, but part of the appeal of it is a decent selection of free offerings to attract people to your phone, which then gets them on long enough to pay. If all you have is a few generic free offerings and EVERYTHING else is to be paid for that's going to be problem.

This is doubly the case when Sprint and Palm is pushing this thing as the "affordable" alternative to the iPhone. That becomes less the case if there's almost no free apps and if the ones that we have to buy are primarily $5-$10 or more.
Wow, so Palm giving you something is worse than giving you nothing? It took Apple 1 year to get an App store. I don't think every app will be pay. Look at the Apple App Store, where developers had to buy the SDK. There are still plenty of free apps. But many are worth what you pay for.

I don't have a problem with all truly usable apps being $1-$6. More for really complicated or spectacular apps. Get a couple apps a week or month for the cost of a lunch? Sure.

For example, Spaz is a great Twitter client in the current version. It will get better. They are thinking about charging $3 for it. Worth it? Hell yeah. I'll cut out two cokes.
Old 06/30/2009, 01:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
Wow, so Palm giving you something is worse than giving you nothing? It took Apple 1 year to get an App store. I don't think every app will be pay. Look at the Apple App Store, where developers had to buy the SDK. There are still plenty of free apps. But many are worth what you pay for.
Not at all. What I'm saying is its it a horrendous business plan if the reason that they're not releasing anything yet is because all the apps they're going to be releasing are paid apps, which seemed to be the insinuation in regards to them not putting out new apps so that dev's could get paid.

If they allowed side loading, maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing, but without that it'd be foolish to have such a fledgling amount of free apps when its miniscule compared to ALL the competition but say "but you have paid apps!".

Yes, it took Apple 1 year to get an app store....however, upon launch of their app store they had a plethora of apps, many free. I'm not expecting Palm to have an equal catalog as Apple...however, I'd expect that if they're going to launch an app catalog and make it public there's a private beta that they're going to work towards getting some apps out there. If they're holding that distribution up because all the apps need to be paid apps and they don't have a function to do that yet then that is a stupid and failed business plan in and of itself because it means there are few free apps.

If the above posters comment about them holding off for a full release of the store because Dev's want to be compensated wasn't insinuating that they were all going to be free apps, then again we come to the same issue I stated originally. That it would be beneficial to Palm from a marketing stand point to at least get a few new free apps out every week, especially as we approach the "30 day" mark of potential returns.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with all truly usable apps being $1-$6. More for really complicated or spectacular apps. Get a couple apps a week or month for the cost of a lunch? Sure.
I generally don't have an issue with it either, at the same time I have no desire for a device where every single app costs money. I don't want to pay $5 for a program that has similar or less features than a free app on another platform. Yeah, its the cost of a lunch, however those things adds up.

Quote:
For example, Spaz is a great Twitter client in the current version. It will get better. They are thinking about charging $3 for it. Worth it? Hell yeah. I'll cut out two cokes.
Sure thing. And they were able to promote Spaz by having a free version. Do you think if people never got to use Spaz but they were charging $3 for it while Tweed was sitting there free that Tweed wouldn't probably be even more popular?

There's nothing wrong with paid apps, they're a good thing especially at a reasonable price. What I'm saying is there also NEEDS to be a decent catalog of free apps as time goes on as well, be they limited versions of full apps or actual full out free apps. And, more to the point, I'm saying that its essentially that Palm start actually getting some mor apps out there and if they're waiting on putting new apps out until the full app store release because "devs may want to get paid for their work", which implies they have no apps in the queue that aren't free, that that is a foolish business plan and a negative against the Pre.
Old 06/30/2009, 01:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

From what I understand, there are apps in the pipeline... just waiting to be approved and posted by Palm.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0