webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Where are all the apps?
Where are all the apps?

Old 06/30/2009, 10:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
I don't want to pay $5 for a program that has similar or less features than a free app on another platform.
It's just a little early to be complaining about that. If you want to look at what's actually been decided, and not wild speculation, compare the price of GPS navigation in this phone vs the iPhone.

I imagine that everyone who is writing homebrew apps and posting them for free would also be willing to put them in the App Catalog for free. That just will have to wait until the SDK is done and Palm is ready to vet them and put them out. I have no doubt that it will happen. Will it be as soon as we want? No, that would be a month ago. But it will happen.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 07:04 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
It's just a little early to be complaining about that. If you want to look at what's actually been decided, and not wild speculation, compare the price of GPS navigation in this phone vs the iPhone.
Then why not get on the others making "wild speculation" that fueld my response, brub and art. My initial post was simply stating I find it hard to believe that from ALL the developers Palm has managed to get on the beta project, when we keep hearing how "easy" it is from them to develop for the platform, that somehow we only have 30 programs out. That, and that its dropping the ball a bit by not putting any further out since launch week, especially as we approach the "30 day return" threshold.

They responded stating they figured it was becasue Developers would actually want to get paid for their services and thus Palm is waiting for the app store to go final. IF that's the case that's meaning Palm's got zero free apps in the making, which in and of itself is ALSO a bad thing.

My "wild speculation" isn't my honset first thoughts, its in response to those that were saying the reason there's no new apps is likely because Developers are waiting till they can get paid for it before they have palm release them.
Zyphlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 07:28 AM   #23 (permalink)

Although the SDK is out, the App catalog isn't immediate entry. Palm still has to test and review everything that people want to put out, before they launch it on their customers. Since they control the store, they'd probably be liable for controversial application and for applications that may ruin your phone. It's not immediate develop and immediate entry and I wouldn't want it to be.
bdhu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 12:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

I am a bit disappointed by the slow release of Applications and upgrades/modifications.

Every day that goes by, I am missing Windows Mobile more and more.

There are so many basic things I had running on WM for over 3 years, that I am reminded daily of things this new phone/os is very limited in.

Don't get me wrong... It is a very nice phone but there needs to be significant progress made (at a fairly rapid rate) for this phone to be truly competitive.

Voice Dialing.
Different notification types.
Profile control
Calendar options (List View, working alerts, etc.)
Tethering
Desktop Sync (I have sync working but there should be a (free) option for USB/BT syncing)
BT options (BT transfer, nicknames for devices, etc.)
Etc...

Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/01/2009 at 12:31 PM.
gmanvbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 02:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
Although the SDK is out, the App catalog isn't immediate entry. Palm still has to test and review everything that people want to put out, before they launch it on their customers...It's not immediate develop and immediate entry and I wouldn't want it to be.
I agree with what people have been saying, it seems like software devs are taking forever to get these apps out, but bdhu is right, the apps need to go through preprod/beta testing, then sent to Palm for their testing and approval. It's a time consuming process, and an inconvenient one, but kinda a required one.

We want lotsa apps, lotsa fast (har har) but we also want good apps, you know?

My theme: Minimalist+

$5 app icons for webOS developers!
RottingOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0