webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Copy, cut, and paste!!!!!!
Copy, cut, and paste!!!!!!

Old 06/27/2009, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

I signed up to pre central just to get some input on the copy and paste feature of the pre. I got the palm pre after using a blackberry 8330 for about a year. The thing thats KILLING me is the that you can only copy text that you are writing yourself. No copying from text, email, or websites defeats the whole purpose of having the feature. Can someone tell me that im wrong!!!! i have no reason to copy my own writing
farrock02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2009, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, I felt the same way when my copy cut and paste was "cut"! I'm guessing here but Palm must have worried that these powerful mobile devices were copying too much copyrighted material. Lawsuit?

I was happy with the capability of my Palm to copy whole pages to read later from web. That is until the upgrades in firmware were releasted, and of course I got one.
To my horror the copying, especially from the web was greatly reduced on the Palm devices. I guess because of potential lawsuits?

But, don't fret, I am bearing gifts:
"ClipPro" program!

Makes device do more that it originally did. But still not unlimited web copying in one "grab." But everything else; Oh Yea, and more.
positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2009, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

The Pre has never been able to copy from a web page or txt message - neither before nor after the 1.0.2 or 1.0.3 updates
taalibeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2009, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
I signed up to pre central just to get some input on the copy and paste feature of the pre. I got the palm pre after using a blackberry 8330 for about a year. The thing thats KILLING me is the that you can only copy text that you are writing yourself. No copying from text, email, or websites defeats the whole purpose of having the feature. Can someone tell me that im wrong!!!! i have no reason to copy my own writing
This is probably the single biggest missing feature of the Pre. See another dozen missing features here:

Palm Pre Tips & Tricks

I cannot count how many people were stunned to find out that the Pre lacks the basic abilities to easily Cut <Menu><X>, Copy <Menu><C>, and Paste <Menu><V>:
1. Email
2. Text messages
3. Memos
4. Calendar items
5. Tasks

So as long as you don't need a smartphone for those things, the Pre works great!

And why is it that so many people are fooled into thinking that the latest Palm would have the ability to edit text? It is because since 2003, saying PALM meant that you could edit text. Since 2003, if you made a mistake on your Palm, you could press Undo <Menu><Z>. But today your workaround is simple. Don't ever make a mistake.

It is like a car manufacturer coming out with it's next generation car and saying:
Thinking ahead is a beautiful thing

...but acting stunned when people just assume your new car has an engine.

When people buy a car they do not double check that the latest and greatest model has brakes.

As Palm admits:
The Palm® Pre™ phone lets you tackle your entire workday like never before.

Palm's first priority needs to be to catch up with the same basic capabilities as the Palm Treo 600 in December of 2003.

- Craig
milominderbinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2009, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by positron View Post
Yes, I felt the same way when my copy cut and paste was "cut"! I'm guessing here but Palm must have worried that these powerful mobile devices were copying too much copyrighted material. Lawsuit?

I was happy with the capability of my Palm to copy whole pages to read later from web. That is until the upgrades in firmware were releasted, and of course I got one.
To my horror the copying, especially from the web was greatly reduced on the Palm devices. I guess because of potential lawsuits?

"ClipPro" program!

Makes device do more that it originally did. But still not unlimited web copying in one "grab." But everything else; Oh Yea, and more.
Lawsuit for copy and paste? PLEEEAASSE - every computer on the planet can do this and just about every other smart phone (even the iphone now...)
mdmogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2009, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
Lawsuit for copy and paste? PLEEEAASSE - every computer on the planet can do this and just about every other smart phone (even the iphone now...)
Now that's not necessarily true. In Windows the window you are copying and pasting from has to be programmed to allow this. There are plenty of programs that run on Windows that don't allow copy in paste in EVERY aspect of the program. For example, you can't copy and paste content in most dialog boxes that show windows error codes. Something like that would be extremely useful when searching for troubleshooting of issues.

I don't think there will be a lawsuit, because in the manual it clearly explains how copy and paste works. If you need copy and paste to work like it does on Windows so badly...then you should be on a Windows Mobile device.

The OS is in it's early stages...just like Windows CE used to be when it was first released on black and white devices...but I don't recall people screaming for a lawsuit because their complimentary PC ran in color.

Be patient...
coop486#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2009, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop486 View Post

Be patient...
But then again, the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease. You know palm has to be reading the forums seeing what users are aggravated about We complained about the SDK then it was "leaked" by someone. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an Palm employee =D
microbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbolt View Post
But then again, the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease. You know palm has to be reading the forums seeing what users are aggravated about We complained about the SDK then it was "leaked" by someone. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an Palm employee =D
Can you copy a web address from top of web browser, i seem to be able to highlight but can't paste in email or text...Anyone get this to work?
imex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Works for me. Are you giving the copy command first? Touch the gesture area and press "C".
Dr.Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2009, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

My wife's phone contract is up in a week or so and I was looking to get her a Pre. My work provides me with an 8310 and it's a great phone, but my family cell phone service is with Sprint and the Pre looked like a no brainer for an upgrade. However the lack of of something so basic as universal COPY and PASTE is unforgivable. Has there been any ETA on when this will be implemented? I might have to consider a BB Tour instead of a Pre if this going to take as long as the iPhone took to add it.
martinrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2009, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop486 View Post
Now that's not necessarily true. In Windows the window you are copying and pasting from has to be programmed to allow this. There are plenty of programs that run on Windows that don't allow copy in paste in EVERY aspect of the program. For example, you can't copy and paste content in most dialog boxes that show windows error codes. Something like that would be extremely useful when searching for troubleshooting of issues.

I don't think there will be a lawsuit, because in the manual it clearly explains how copy and paste works. If you need copy and paste to work like it does on Windows so badly...then you should be on a Windows Mobile device.

The OS is in it's early stages...just like Windows CE used to be when it was first released on black and white devices...but I don't recall people screaming for a lawsuit because their complimentary PC ran in color.

Be patient...
I would image that they have to be programmed specifically to NOT allow copy paste.

As with the Windows dialog boxes, if it has focus, just hit Ctrl+c on the keyboard and it will automagically copy all the contents of the box.
zhackwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2009, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by positron View Post
"ClipPro" program!
More info please...you've cought my attention.
groovdafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2009, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

one thing that everyone could do is go to palm's feedback page and let them know why it's important to you and how you'd like for it to work.

http://www.palm.com/us/company/feedback.html

individually each of us may not be able to do much but collectively we can all send palm a pretty strong message about this issue. i've already added my request for proper cut & paste, and i hope everyone on this forum will do the same as well.
un_designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 01:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Message sent, hopefully we get some updates and apps soon...
imex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 03:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

I kinda figured that the limitation of Cut/Copy/Paste was mainly due to the Webkit build that WebOS is currently using. Although I'm not exactly sure on this.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0