webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > YouTube App is Hamstrung?
YouTube App is Hamstrung?

Old 06/25/2009, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Having the ability to stream YouTube videos on the Pre is definitely a nice little band-aid until we get an integrated Adobe Flash. However, it has slowly dawned on me that the full gamut of YouTube videos do not appear to be accessible with this app. The most recent instance, I found an excellent lecture by Michel Chossudovsky: The Global Financial Crisis in 8 parts. The YouTube app search was unable to find a single video even when I simply searched for "Michel Chossudovsky". Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Has anyone else experienced this?
Auberon Barnable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I believe you can also go to m.youtube.com and find videos there. Not sure if there is more of a selection, but worth a try.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well I just figured out the solution.

The built in search for the YouTube app only searches the few listed videos. Just scroll down a few pages and that's all you can play with the built-in app.

However if you go to www.youtube/mobile and search you'll see it's using the full YouTube website search engine and you can actually play any of those you find.
Old 06/25/2009, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
Well I just figured out the solution.

The built in search for the YouTube app only searches the few listed videos. Just scroll down a few pages and that's all you can play with the built-in app.

However if you go to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and search you'll see it's using the full YouTube website search engine and you can actually play any of those you find.
Sorry to be a nitpicker, but you had forgotten the .com part.
dmglouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

You don't need to go to the mobile site, just go to the full YouTube site in the Pre's browser, log in, click on a video, it'll play in the YouTube app.
ejohnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

That's awesome..I feel like an *****, but thanks!
Old 06/26/2009, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
yoe

I don't know what you guys are talking about, all my personal videos of my baby nephew were found on the YouTube app - no problem
yoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

i find all kinds of things with the you tube app, put in your search terms and hit the physical enter key.

Last edited by Funky Cricket; 06/26/2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: can't type
Funky Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 10:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoe View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about, all my personal videos of my baby nephew were found on the YouTube app - no problem
What the OP is saying is that not everything available through the full site is available in the app. So maybe your nephew's vids are available doesn't mean that everything's available.
ronlongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Is any1 else having problems with youtube? I am having trouble even getting through a single video with out it pausing and it never fully loads so I never get to watch the whole thing....any suggestions?
Kashiffthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Found out today that there are full lectures available. For example, if you search for "psychology lecture" the full 40 minute videos are available to watch right on the pre.

The full length movies however are restricted. Probably because they can't stick ads in it like with the full flash youtube.
joshewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 11:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

IT happend when I try to watch lets say a 4 minute music video..i never get to finish
Kashiffthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 11:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
Found out today that there are full lectures available. For example, if you search for "psychology lecture" the full 40 minute videos are available to watch right on the pre.

The full length movies however are restricted. Probably because they can't stick ads in it like with the full flash youtube.
I find this to be hit or miss. Some movies are restricted other aren't. I guess it depends on the studio releasing it whether its to be played "pc only" or not. Also some of the tv shows like Original Series Star Trek will only play on a pc. They should really just let everyone enjoy, right?..
edlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashiffthompson View Post
Is any1 else having problems with youtube? I am having trouble even getting through a single video with out it pausing and it never fully loads so I never get to watch the whole thing....any suggestions?
That's likely a bandwidth issue. With a wifi connection, I never get hesitation; with EVDO, I sometimes do and sometimes don't.
Lee B is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Kashiffthompson
Old 06/26/2009, 11:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

isn't m.youtube.com the same as youtube.com/mobile?
smoresrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensecret View Post
That's likely a bandwidth issue. With a wifi connection, I never get hesitation; with EVDO, I sometimes do and sometimes don't.
Yea with wifi I get an even better stream than with my touch. Very impressed with the palyback by wifi. Haven't given it a full feild test on evdo.
edlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 11:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
The YouTube app search was unable to find a single video even when I simply searched for "Michel Chossudovsky". Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Has anyone else experienced this?
Try using this search term: "Michel Chossudovsky Public Lecture". I just found all eight on the Pre's YouTube App from the user "camb702" searching for it with that phrase.

Last edited by Jaer57; 06/26/2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typos
Jaer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 09:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Recently my You Tube App is a barely working. Launches fast , searches fast launches your chosen video fast then seems(does) takes forever to play and rarely plays a 40 second video without stopping? Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated. Worked flawlessly to begin with. I played videos side by side with my Ipod touch to compare. Now it appears to be another application not worth having.

Last edited by sdlostsoul; 06/30/2009 at 10:40 PM.
sdlostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 03:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

im having the exact problem i dont have 3g in my area but i get 5 bars at my house but youtube videos never finish buffering it never gets to playmore than 15 secs of a video or even less =( whats going on?? i heard you type ##data# and swithch something from 7 to 40 but it asks for a password and i dont know it and dont really know if this would solve the problem =(
ROKRz6m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 04:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

I've personally noticed the search results to be a bit filtered and just load the full site in a browser window and search through there, once I find the video I want I can just click it and it will open it in the youtube app without a problem. Although admittedly, there are some videos on youtube that don't allow mobile viewing. I've run into this with certain music videos posted by labels.(I will actually get an error saying something like "This user has disabled mobile viewing can only be viewed on a desktop computer")
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0