1.    #1  
    I have seen some discussion on the boards recently about potentially changing the "user agent" string for the Pre's web browser so that it identifies itself to websites as mobile safari...and I wanted to suggest a reason why you shouldn't.

I understand that some folks would prefer to get access to sites that are optimized for the iPhone since the Pre has the same screen size and uses essentially the same browser, but is not recognized by many such sites. I also understand that some Apple sites go out of their way to prevent you from accessing certain features/apps when you are not on an iPhone. That said, we are not going to see widespread support from websites and app developers if they don't think that we are out there...and one way that they measure "presence" on the web is through "user agent" counts in the server web logs.

In fact, I am thinking of doing the opposite. I have actually considered changing my desktop browser's user agent to the WebOS user agent string just to inflate our numbers a little. Perhaps that way, sites like MLB.com will start supporting things like game video on the Pre. They just added it for the iPhone...and they aren't going to bring it to the Pre unless they know that we are out there. We are already fighting an uphill battle with about 300 iPhones/iTouches on the street for each Pre.

Just a thought.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    I have actually considered changing my desktop browser's user agent to the WebOS user agent string just to inflate our numbers a little
    It's a drop in the ocean, really.
    He looks ready to find that drop in the middle of the ocean
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I have seen some discussion on the boards recently about potentially changing the "user agent" string for the Pre's web browser so that it identifies itself to websites as mobile safari...and I wanted to suggest a reason why you shouldn't.

I understand that some folks would prefer to get access to sites that are optimized for the iPhone since the Pre has the same screen size and uses essentially the same browser, but is not recognized by many such sites. I also understand that some Apple sites go out of their way to prevent you from accessing certain features/apps when you are not on an iPhone. That said, we are not going to see widespread support from websites and app developers if they don't think that we are out there...and one way that they measure "presence" on the web is through "user agent" counts in the server web logs.

In fact, I am thinking of doing the opposite. I have actually considered changing my desktop browser's user agent to the WebOS user agent string just to inflate our numbers a little. Perhaps that way, sites like MLB.com will start supporting things like game video on the Pre. They just added it for the iPhone...and they aren't going to bring it to the Pre unless they know that we are out there. We are already fighting an uphill battle with about 300 iPhones/iTouches on the street for each Pre.

Just a thought.

cheers,
    Steve
    I'd do the same thing, as would the 7 other people who have bought pres at around the same time as me (we all use firefox) if I had any idea how....
    Thanks, Steve.

We've missed you!

- Craig
    What's an iTouch?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I'm guessing about 2% of pre owners could even figure out how to change their user agent... I think we're ok.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    I'm guessing about 2% of pre owners could even figure out how to change their user agent... I think we're ok.
    Considering it's a tweak available in WebOS QuickInstall, I think anyone who is using homebrew software could do it. Personally I don't, for the reason noted in this thread.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    i agree