webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Another APP added!
Another APP added!

Old 06/18/2009, 06:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

And yes, it is late. The Pre does not exist in a vacuum, there IS competition. When you're playing catch-up in the app game it's not the perfect position to take your time. No, I don't care for the iPhone or iFart apps, but there are many useful apps across several phone platforms that I wish were available for my Pre.
drummer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 06:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

What I Think: The update coming adds/fixes some of the app functions and they are waiting for it to be officially released.

Ala iPhone 3.0
lightofhonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 06:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Thanks for the clarification. I think it may be "late" but certainly not too late. Considering how long it took iPhone to open up theirs for 3rd party devs, Palm has quite a bit of wiggle room. Not that I want them to dilly-dally, but I'm just not sure we should be so harsh.
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 06:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

Late in the game!? C'mon guys, the phone has been out for a couple of weeks. Before that, most developers didn't even have a Pre to test their apps on.

Building a platform takes time. If, for example, a Playstation 3 could launch with 20 solid games, they would. Sadly it doesn't work like that.

I know there are a lot of people who've now experienced the phone. Having the Pre is becoming normal and you want something new and fresh (every day). But satisfying the hardcore is impossible. They always want more. Even while (not considering the app catalog) Palm just delivered one of the best phones to date.

Android, WinMo and the iPhone all took year(s) before having a decent catalog. See all the stuff Palm did put in at launch. A lot of platforms don't launch with all these features.

Now I'm not saying the Pre doesn't need some work. But give it some time. Go do something useful instead of checking the app store all day.
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 06:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Considering the developers of Pandora were able to port their application to the Pre in just 4 days I'm sure we'll be seeing some serious catch up here. It's all about that darn SDK which Palm doesn't want to release until they've ironed out some kinks in their OS.
Auberon Barnable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 06:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

And not that I care, but it would maybe be nice to include legacy PalmOS apps somewhere in the catalog...there's like what, 25k of them available? I'm sure devs wouldn't mind a little extra revenue coming their way...
Old 06/18/2009, 07:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Good point.
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 07:08 PM   #28 (permalink)

Bored??? WTF??? Maybe you should have bought something from the Fisher-Price range.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 07:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruba View Post
Guys, a fully featured, multi tone Fart app can be done in a day. Serious apps take some time...
We won't see any Fart apps until the SDK is available but when it is, it should take about 5 minutes to write one using the WebOS sdk. Maybe the iPhone takes a day. Objective C is harder than javascript after all.
ADGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 07:26 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
We won't see any Fart apps until the SDK is available but when it is, it should take about 5 minutes to write one using the WebOS sdk. Maybe the iPhone takes a day. Objective C is harder than javascript after all.
It takes some time to develop good farts as well..
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 07:26 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
I agree! When you are having a battle royale with the iPhone geeks and they pool out the "Can you drink a beer on your Pre" app. All I can say is... "No... but I can open Developer Mode",

Then they say "Can you play the piano or guitar on your Pre?", I say "No but I can open pandora...".

Then they say "Can you hum a tune or sing into your phone and it will tell you what song it is?" I then respond with "No... But i have global search".

It gets old after awhile. We need cool useless light saber applications too!!!
You can't be serious. Surely you aren't setting the bar so low that running those programs are how you measure the performance of a smartphone.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 07:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

why the hell do people want a facebook app when facebook on the browser looks exactly like on your desktop?? A facebook app would probably allow you to do less of the stuff you can on the browser anyways.......
diyeiogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 07:54 PM   #33 (permalink)

As for me I am enjoying my Pre. Updates and new apps will definitely come sooner or later. Why spoil your day waiting for them?
jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 08:00 PM   #34 (permalink)

I'd like to have a facebook app. On my old iPhone it was way better than panning around in the browser all the time.
mbizzle#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 08:06 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
I agree! When you are having a battle royale with the iPhone geeks and they pool out the "Can you drink a beer on your Pre" app. All I can say is... "No... but I can open Developer Mode",

Then they say "Can you play the piano or guitar on your Pre?", I say "No but I can open pandora...".

Then they say "Can you hum a tune or sing into your phone and it will tell you what song it is?" I then respond with "No... But i have global search".

It gets old after awhile. We need cool useless light saber applications too!!!
Wow :rollseyes so far I just saw my own brain:
diyeiogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 08:12 PM   #36 (permalink)

I'd rather have well laid railroad tracks before I run a train on them!!! Get it???!!!!
Old 06/18/2009, 08:13 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
why the hell do people want a facebook app when facebook on the browser looks exactly like on your desktop?? A facebook app would probably allow you to do less of the stuff you can on the browser anyways.......
No, it's not at all. First of all the interface is optimized so that I don't have to pinch, squeeze and cross my fingers and guess that I clicked on the correct link. Secondly, and most importantly, on my BB version it integrated notifications natively. While that might not be important to you, I loved it b/c a) less email to delete from my inbox (it wouldn't send you notifications via email if you have a client) and b) I can respond to things immediately and easily.

Do me a favor, check out the facebook app for Pre when it comes out, and then come back here to tell us that the app is basically useless and you prefer going to the webpage instead.

p.s. the iphone version of facebook website is broken, things don't appear properly on mine at least

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0