webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > App update notification
App update notification

Old 06/18/2009, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

I thought the Pre is supposed to notify you of any updates available for install of apps. The notification is supposed come by the way of the little pop ups at the bottom of the screen. I have had the FlightView update available for install for 2 days now and no notification; however, when I got to the Update icon, it does find that there is an update for it. Is this how it's supposed to work?
fireone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 05:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think it only notifies you for an OS update not the individual apps.

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
If you have an iTouch click me.
Eguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

It does the apps as well and has been doing since launch or shortly after (when I first tried it)
ricanchuloinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarquez View Post
It does the apps as well and has been doing since launch or shortly after (when I first tried it)
Is there something that we have to "turn on" to get the notifications? Because I'm experiencing the same thing...I have the app, but don't know about an update until I go to the App Catalog.
mw2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

It would be sweet if you did not have to go into the App Catalog to be notified of app updates. If not that, it would be nice when you did go into the App Catalog, you received a list of updated apps. It would be even better if the list was specific to your installed apps.
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Keep in mind, the app store is in beta phase. They don't even have a billing structure set up yet thats why everything is free. I'm sure in the very near future they will get everything up and running with all the proper notifications similar to the iphone/touch.
edlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

The iPhone works the same way, you aren't notified of updates to apps until you launch the App Store. Also heard on Pre you can run Updates app and that'll update all your apps for you too.
Old 06/18/2009, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
It would be sweet if you did not have to go into the App Catalog to be notified of app updates. If not that, it would be nice when you did go into the App Catalog, you received a list of updated apps. It would be even better if the list was specific to your installed apps.
If you click on updates (the gift box icon) it will show you the things you are wanting.
reminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

I imagine when the Mojo Messaging Service is enabled, we will have app update notifications pushed to our devices.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

I thought push notification has already been enabled for app updates. Can't remember where I read it right now.
fireone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well... Another issue that might want to hit the BugList here in the forums.

If you want I can offer you a temp fix.

Give me your email, I will send you a note and it'll pop up on your notification. :-)
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Heck, I just wish I didn't have to look multi-times a day just to seee if there are new apps...Tired of seeing the same stuff in there...
hdhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

It checks for updates once a week, I believe.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

I think I read that it's once a day but I could be wrong.
syphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2009, 02:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Another question, How do we know what additional benefits and features the new update for a specific app offers. For example I opened the app catalog and see the blue tabs on the apps that have updates available but when I tap on then no where does it show what the actual update is it just states update available on the bottom...
preman2be913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0