webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Questions before I buy-- apps I need, app store, itunes?
Questions before I buy-- apps I need, app store, itunes?

Old 06/16/2009, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've used PalmOS phones since the Samsung SPH-i300, and Treos since the 300, currently using a 700. I'm extremely attached to the Treo, but the Pre is tempting me. I'm a hardcore geek though, and there are things that I absolutely need before I switch-- tethering, and ssh. I can live without a VNC client, but it would be very useful to have.

I tether the 700 when I travel and don't have good connectivity, and occasionally otherwise-- my data usage last month was 17MB. I think I can get by with the tethering hacks I've seen so far.

ssh is mandatory, though, since I occasionally need to be able to fix servers. Anyone know if there's a client on the way?

Is the app store the only way to get applications? I really hate the Apple model, and don't want to buy a phone where someone else has control over the apps that I can use.

Is iTunes the only way to get music onto the phone?
PattiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

All your questions have already been answered if you search. But you can use a classic app for SSH, currently the app store is the only way to get Web OS apps on the device, you don't need to use iTunes.
webdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks.

Dammit, the appstore thing is a dealbreaker for me. I think app stores are generally a good thing, but I don't think any one company should have control over what apps can be used.
PattiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiB View Post
Thanks.

Dammit, the appstore thing is a dealbreaker for me. I think app stores are generally a good thing, but I don't think any one company should have control over what apps can be used.
Palm have indicated that the app store won't be the only way to get programs onto the device.

With the mention of ssh and server access, sounds like you should have a look at this thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...rom-comes.html
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0