webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Japanese Kanji viewable via browser?
Japanese Kanji viewable via browser?

Old 06/16/2009, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello all. My wife and I are considering upgrading to the Pre or jumping ship for the iPhone. A concern for her is being able to read email in Japanese Kanji. I understand that via the Palm Messaging Subject headers display properly but the actual message body does not display correctly.

We both use Gmail and I was curious if accessing Gmail via the web browser, enables viewing of messages written in Japanese text.

Anyone willing to give it a shot. I can send a test email message written in Japanese to see if it works. I understand that even if we can view the messages properly in the web browser that we most likely won't be able to write back in Japanese text. (Not too much of a concern as we only need to be able to read the text.)

Thanks in advance guys.

Neil
Old 06/16/2009, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Google will translate it. Do not think it will allow you to type that font but I get messages from my family in Bangkok, Thailand all the time. They actually have google translate which will transcode/format most pages any way you want. I saw japanese there, not sure what or if it says kanji.

I don't read Thai but google (through Pre's browser) does show it.. (characters and all). I just take it to the translate page.

Hope this helps.
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: neoGTR22
Old 06/16/2009, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Johnny. Good to know Thai works. I suppose I need to go to a Sprint store and find out for myself, just curious if someone could go to gmail in the web browser and confirm an email with japanese texts displays.
Old 06/16/2009, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

ddont have anyone to send me email in japanese but I will go to jap website and take a photo for you. Send me a private email and i'll send one back to you. Stephens.jc at gmail.com ...
Old 06/16/2009, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sent. Thanks!
Old 06/16/2009, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
Sent. Thanks!
I hope these are sufficient enough for you. Now Sprint does a referral program. Just give em my #... J/K
Attached Images
File Type: png browser_2009-16-06_121524.png (47.7 KB, 17 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg browser_2009-16-06_115949.jpg (61.6 KB, 13 views) Email Attachment
Old 06/16/2009, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dude, you're the man. I'd totally use you as a referrer but we're already with Sprint =T Thanks again for the help!!
Old 06/16/2009, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Anytime. Especially if it leans ya more towards the Pre.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0