Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have over 700 contacts in my phone. I don't want to have to type to get to the "W"'s...and flicking down 100 times gets tedious!

Why not have the "Alphabet headers" clickable and everything just accordion up or down? Flick Flick Click Click...that's what I want!

iPhone has letter tabs down the right...that would work. Or even a hyper-sensitive scroll bar? But the accordion (like the Calendar does) would be super-cool!
    call palm and ask, we didn't make the palm pre and webos
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    call palm and ask, we didn't make the palm pre and webos
    Do you have their number?

Seriously, I tweeted palm...hope they are following these forums as well (but I'm not counting on it).
    Quote Originally Posted by UberGeek View Post

Seriously, I tweeted palm...hope they are following these forums as well (but I'm not counting on it).
    Yap # is: 800-881-7256

Seriously, you asked the question why didn't palm do this, how would anyone here know why palm did or didn't do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Yap # is: 800-881-7256

Seriously, you asked the question why didn't palm do this, how would anyone here know why palm did or didn't do something.
    Well, I don't think his question was necessarily pointed at all of us to answer why palm didn't do this. Sounded more like he was asking to guage others thoughts on it here. There have been numurous other posts where people do come here to vent about palm not doing something they think should be part of the OS. The OP's thread seemed constructive to me.

I like the idea for large contact lists.
    I think that perhaps they didn't because Universal Search pretty much covers this. You can type in the first letter or two, and then have a scrollable list to work from. Or better yet, I type the first letter of the first name, and the first two letters of the last name - 3 clicks and I almost always have the person I'm looking for.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    I have actually found the pre address book to be pretty easy with all my contacts. just open and start typing the name, usually takes me there pretty quick. To me, it's easier to find contacts on the Pre vs the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts

They're following these forums. A phone call to their corporate office last week resulted in an hour long conversation with a CS supervisor from Palm. Recommended the Palm official forums and the PreCentral.net forums- for differing things though.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have over 700 contacts in my phone. I don't want to have to type to get to the "W"'s...and flicking down 100 times gets tedious!

Why not have the "Alphabet headers" clickable and everything just accordion up or down? Flick Flick Click Click...that's what I want!

iPhone has letter tabs down the right...that would work. Or even a hyper-sensitive scroll bar? But the accordion (like the Calendar does) would be super-cool!
    Not sure if this will make sense . . . . as I found the lack of categories frustrating B U T: this is an Apple like device: ie it uses the "Finder" approach to almost everything: e.g. start typing the name of the contact/application / etc and a list of items matching what you type shows up and you select the item. So you jump directly to the item by starting to type the name of the web site / contact / address / memo name.
    arthur
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I have actually found the pre address book to be pretty easy with all my contacts. just open and start typing the name, usually takes me there pretty quick. To me, it's easier to find contacts on the Pre vs the iPhone.
    With universal search, you really don't even have to open the contact list. Just start typing.
    I would like to see Groups back into Contacts

I think the accordion idea is awesome, and would definitely make the contacts easier to work with. Could even be optional, as in click a button or menu item to engage.

I'll be tweeting that to Palm. If anyone agrees, they should do so as well, or leave comments at the Palm blog, or email, or whatever.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    yea that sounds like a great idea OP. damn this new phone. its cool having a new gadget to play with but i feel handcuffed in some ways. the irony...
    I like the idea of the expandable/collapsible alphabet letters accordion style. I think it would be pretty cool to get your list to scroll through down to 26. Typing is definitely super fast, and that's how I'm doing it now, but I like options that are all viable. The 100 flicks to get to the end of a long list is not viable.

I'd like to see the same philosophy on my inbox. I only have 180 or so messages there right now (one account), but scrolling down to previous days is P A I N F U L! And in the email app, you can't use the keyboard to skinny down the list at all. Collapsing down the list to days would help immensely.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Implementing categories of some kind is a must for both Contacts and Calendars. I'd like to be able to get to a contact without having to open the keyboard all the time or scrolling 10 pages. On my 700p I had A Quick Pick list that has my 15-20 most common numbers that I can just hit and call.

Although, sometimes it is fun scrolling so fast that the Pre can't keep up. I've seen the Loading... message on more than a few occassions.
    The only problem I've had is well, I have some contacts in kanji, which are placed at the bottom of the list, so I have to scroll through all my contacts to get to those.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Just move your contacts to one of the launcher screens and use that as your contacts list. It works much better than flicking through 500 contacts and also looks pretty cool. I personally like universal search though.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Universal Search is even quicker when you type in the first initial followed by the last name. Often I can get to the contact I want in 3 keystrokes.
    hey, I got a great idea.

why not be able to gesture a letter?

Like make an the letter "L" on the screen with your finger and then PRE starts a Universal Search.

oh, wait! that was graffitti just kidding
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I hear you about Universal Search. I would do the "type first initial last name" thing on my 650 quite often and I use that approach now. But I am somewhat "nomenclature challenged" and I often cannot remember a person's last name (or first name for that matter). And there is the scenario where I just want to see everyone whose last name begins with "W". If I type "W" I get a lot of noise...everyone whose first name begins with "W" or even has "W" anywhere in their name.

Yes, Universal Search is great. But there should be more than one way to work with contacts according to everyone's preference. Palm has always been about simplicity of operation...that's why I never warmed up to Windows Mobile.

Yes, categories can be replicated by multiple launcher screens, but that is not really supported either (without a hack, anyway). Sometimes I want to just type part of a name. Sometimes I want to see everyone in my family. and sometimes I just want to see all the "W"'s.

One example of the latter is trying to go through my list to check the choices Synergy made. Can't do that on the desktop and it takes time to go through 700 contacts. Maybe I want to leave it at some point and take up where I left off (like the "W"'s).

Good discussion. I hope Palm sees this and takes it on board. Thanks for the phone number, I will give them a call when I get the chance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast