webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Data Transfer from Treo 755p
Data Transfer from Treo 755p

Old 06/14/2009, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

My start with the PRE has been rough. The Sprint store transeferred all my Contacts. I got home and ran the online program to transfer my Calendar and Memos. Now all my contacts are showing up twice, then the PRE crashes and just keeps re-booting. At the service center, they advised me that the phone can NOT be reset using any of the keyboard commands in their manual. New phone ordered. Has anyone else experienced this level of lock up or did i just get a bad phone? I suspect the software as the culprit, it advised me to click to "safely remove hardware" while it was still transferring data??? DO NOT run the migrate program if you have contacts already in your PRE from the Sprint helpful people. Instead, first do a reset from the PRE menus, then sync your old Palm Destop clean to get the Calendar, Contacts, Memos and Tasks to transfer. Some one tell me what to expect when it works right???? Also, how do you transfer your pictures and videos from Treo 755p to PRE??
sblankdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had problems with Sprint porting over numbers then using the Palm transfer assistant at home too. Details of what happened to me are in the Palm support forum below

Re: Can't Edit contact information - webOS Software - Palm Support Forums

Basically, I deleted every contact from my Pre by hand, deleted my google calendar (went to google and cleared the calendar), reset the phone, and used the Palm transfer assistant again.
mbaker911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I hate to say, but it just sounds like you got a bad Pre . I transferred everything from my old 755p from Palm Desktop by following the instructions HERE.

FYI, This process is for transferring your information from Palm Desktop. If you are using Outlook or iCal, this process will not work.

1. First thing, make sure you have Palm Desktop version 6.2 installed, if not download the latest version of Palm Desktop HERE.

2. HotSync your 755p one last final time (I also did a NVBackup one last time, just as a backup). Leave the hotsync program running in the background (not sure if this is actually required, but has worked on two Pre's so far). Make sure the data you want to transfer (like your contacts, memos, etc.) is actually present in Palm Desktop after the HotSync.

3. Download the "Data Transfer Assistant" from Palm Support HERE.

4. Disconnect your Treo 755p if you haven't already or if you need to free up a USB port on you computer. Run the downloaded Data Transfer Assistant, and follow the on-screen instructions. It should instruct you to plug your Pre into an available USB port on your computer and select "USB Drive" on your Pre. The data transfer doesn't take long, but the time it takes does seem to depend on how much data you had in your Treo 755p that needs to be transferred.

5. Click "Safely Remove Hardware" from the Windows taskbar and safely remove your Pre. Finish the Data Transfer Assistant and remove the USB cable from your Pre.

6. On the Pre you will now see a screen asking you where you want to store your data. The most common options are "Palm Profile" or Google / Gmail , but there are a few other options as well. I've used Palm Profile and Google with no issues, so just select which one you prefer.

7. Depending on your selection from #6, enter your login information (for Google / Gmail or Palm Profile or whatever). Continue to follow the on-screen instructions on your Pre and your set!

8. Check your Pre to make sure you have all your data.

I have done this process on two separate Treo 755p's to transfer info to new Palm Pre's and had no problems.

Hope it helps... L8R

Last edited by UserOne; 06/15/2009 at 12:52 AM.
Thanked By: Spherzah
Old 06/14/2009, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

does this transfer contacts AND Memos?
Jfscars48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did this and it transferred contacts but NONE of my memos.
Old 06/15/2009, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Make sure the information you are trying to transfer (like your memos) is present in Palm Desktop before you do the data transfer assistant. Depending on your HotSync settings, your memos may not be syncing during your HotSync session with your old Treo / Centro and therefore not going into the Pre during the data transfer assistant.

Other than that I am not sure what the problem is, I've had no issues with the now three Treo to Pre data transfers I've done so far.

L8R
Old 06/15/2009, 02:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had massive problems transferring from my Centro to the Pre. I'm basically having to reconstruct my life over the past few years by hand. I followed all the instructions to the T with no luck. There's a glitch somewhere in the transfer software.
k1dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2009, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Second PRE. Same crash. This time all data transferred fine from Desktop. I used the USB cable to copy and paste images (about 25) to the PRE. I put them in the DCIM folder, nested in another folder. Unplugged the USB after clicking to safely remove device. That is when it gave me the dreaded "Out of memory error, close some cards". It locked up there and will not respond to anything. Reboot and it just says "PALM" all day long. Is there a way to do a Hard Reset before boot up???? I can NOT access the software or get into it with the USB cable. Thanks! - Steve
Old 06/18/2009, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

As per the Palm Pre's on-device Help app...

To Restart your Phone:
If the screen does not respond to taps, press and hold the power button and slide the ringer switch three times to restart your phone.
Old 06/20/2009, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Does this work to transfer my calendar too? I do not use Google Calendar - that is what my 755p was for?
jf1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2009, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1081 View Post
Does this work to transfer my calendar too? I do not use Google Calendar - that is what my 755p was for?
Yes, it will transfer your calendar information. Hotsync your 755 with Palm Desktop one last time and then download the data transfer assistant from palm. Follow the above instructions and you should be set.

I know you said you don't use Google's calendar, but when you transfer your info into the Pre, it will ask you to set up an "profile" on either Google or Palm. Just a heads-up.... I've done both on different Pre's and had no issues with either.

L8R
Old 06/20/2009, 02:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hey, not sure if this happened to anybody else here...
When I got the phone the Sprint rep that sold it used his fancy pants machine to transfer just my contacts. No calendar, no memos, nothing else. I was going to use the DTA to go from palm desktop to my Pre but heard about the duplicates it makes so here is what I did to get everything:

Change the email address on your palm profile (login on palm.com) https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...ge.iface?rvn=2. Make sure you verify that it has changed by opening the email in the new email address. This is now your palm profile login with all the data you don't want duplicated when you use the DTA.

Do a partial or full Erase under reset option in the Devce Info app. Then when it boots up use your original email address (or any email address address but the one you use for your palm profile) and now you have no contacts because it made a new account based on the email address when you start the Pre up again (you may have to go throught the gestures tutorial). Now you can do the one way sync from Palm Desktop using the DTA and get all the information the dude at the Sprint store did not transfer with his fancy pants machine. Once you complete the transfer, wait about 5 minutes for everything to show up on the pre.

And now I have single entry of contacts with their pictures and a filled calendar (although I got a few alerts from past events that are overdue, but that is no big deal). All my memos are there - I just wish there was a way to mask them like I could with the Treo 755p.
I do not know if it transfers media because I did not sync my media in palm desktop (it was already on a removable MiniSD).

This is similar to the post above by MBaker (infact I got the idea while reading the link he put in his post). But you don't have to delete every contact by hand becasue you are starting over with a new Palm Profile and a fresh phone.

Last edited by jf1081; 06/20/2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Couldn't post URL before...
Old 06/23/2009, 12:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

How does calendar, contacts, tasks and memo updates made on my Pre sync to my PC?
Susan OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2009, 01:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Everything was transfered from my 755p but my memos. How can I get my memos transfered? I have a grip of memos that I really need and dont want to retype them all.. please help...
ogloco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2009, 11:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

I used the transfer assistant and all contacts, notes and memo's were moved in no problem.
alanc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2009, 02:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogloco21 View Post
Everything was transfered from my 755p but my memos. How can I get my memos transfered? I have a grip of memos that I really need and dont want to retype them all.. please help...
Were your memos synced with your palm desktop from your 755?
Also, you may want to try un-hiding or un-masking them if aplicable. All mine transferred okay. And for the record I do not like thie pre memo app. It looks cool_ but I would prefer more functionality.
Old 06/24/2009, 02:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

I transferred Treo 755p data to PALM Desktop V6.2.2.
Palm Desktop changes my contacts snail mail address from home to work. ARGH!

I then ran DTA - selected google
some snail mail addresses lost. (also the sync to google contacts loses more snail mail addresses - but I digress).

Worse I cannot edit or delete ANY snail mail address.
I tried changing Work address to Home address.

I hit edit, make the change, hit Done and bingo changes right back.
I even delete snail mail address and they come right back.

What's going on?

Others report they cannot change address from work to home.
But now it seems more problematic in that I cannot change any snail mail address.

Do others who have moved contacts along the same path (with google) seen the same thing - cannot change or delete the snail mail address?

Please let me know. This is too weird but entirely repeatable.
Old 06/25/2009, 03:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

PALM help told me teh following: When copying data (images and MP3's) over the USB cord, when finished, DO NOT click, Safely remove hardware. Instead, from My Computer, select right click over the USB device and select EJECT. The usb logo will diappear from the PRE and you can then safely remove. It scared me to try, but so far, no lock up. PDF viewer is still offline. MP3 saving still offline, it streams then with no option to save.
Old 06/25/2009, 03:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Any contacts that migrated from Treo 755p (or Centro tried that, too) to Palm Desktop V6.2.2. to Pre via DTA with sync to google cannot be changed.

You can make the change on the phone and second after you hit done any change to the contact is undone.

Switching to sync with Palm Profile has been reported to fix the problem. that won't work for me.

I think I'm going to give this a few more days, if there's no solution I will bring the phone back.

Not really workable to have 845 contacts you cannot change.
Old 06/25/2009, 06:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1081 View Post
Were your memos synced with your palm desktop from your 755?
Also, you may want to try un-hiding or un-masking them if aplicable. All mine transferred okay. And for the record I do not like thie pre memo app. It looks cool_ but I would prefer more functionality.
Yes they were all saved in the Palm Desktop. I only had one masked memo and the rest were open. I have about 100 memos in about 5 categorys. If I do teh cloud sync again wont it sync all my contacts and calender again? I dont want to do that...
ogloco21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
migrate, sync

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0