webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm, speed up the app approval process!
Palm, speed up the app approval process!

Old 06/13/2009, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

I don't know about you, but 30 apps available is pretty lame. Even Android had 50 available at launch. I check the app catalog multiple times a day hoping for more, usually with no such luck. They need to loosen up and let the devs have at it. Yeah, most of the 50k apps of the iPhone are duplicates/dumb iFart apps, but nonetheless, at this rate the we'll never catch up.
drummer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Man.. this is the iPhone launch all over again.
I swear 75% of all the complaints on this site are the same exact things that were said at either the 1st or 2nd iPhone launch..

As far as this goes, just hang in there.. as soon as they release the SDK to more people the apps will start pouring in.
Old 06/13/2009, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

You are aware that the Palm Pre SDK (Mojo) hasn't been released yet? That's the most likely reason there's a lack of apps.
BlaqkAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I want quality, not quantity.
LupeValenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know the SDK hasn't been launched publicly, but I think they said recently 1000 devs already have access. 30 is WAY less than 1000. I want quality too, but come on. For ex, I think someone said they had about 300 Twitter applications alone. Not sure how many of those are within the 1000, but surely one of them can actually be better than Tweed (nice interface, fast) and Spaz (more features, but slow).
Old 06/13/2009, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also since app store is still in beta and they dont have a way for ppl to pay for the apps. I think that some developers will hold off til they have a payment system in place so they can make money.
Old 06/13/2009, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hteasthope View Post
Also since app store is still in beta and they dont have a way for ppl to pay for the apps. I think that some developers will hold off til they have a payment system in place so they can make money.
Exactly. I have a feeling there are a TON ready to go... but they want to get paid. Even if its only a $1
Hurricane350#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

A little perspective might be helpful at this point:
  • The iPhone was out for a year before its app store was available
  • The Pre had an app store at launch
  • The iPhone was out for about a year before the SDK was available
  • Many developers had access to the WebOS Mojo SDK prior to launch...and many of us are using their apps now
  • It took months for any jailbroken apps to show up on the iPhone.
  • I just wrote one this evening for my Pre.
  • Apple has fought jailbreakers at every turn.
  • Palm has been a great sport so far...and even seems to have leaked out some of the info that has helped folks root the phone. Seriously, the Konami code? How cool are they?
  • With the phone rooted, most of us essentially have an SDK now...albeit without Eclipse plugins and an emulator...but still good enough to write code.
  • There is only one approved way to get an app on an iPhone - through the App Store...and Apple has an onerous application process that excludes many
  • Palm has stated from the beginning that folks will have multiple paths to application installation...including direct installation
  • While the Apple app store has 50,000 applications, about 45,000 of them make fart sounds.

The phone has been out for one week...and rooted for less time than that. Patience.
Old 06/13/2009, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

If the rumor that you'd need to visit the developers site to pay for the app is true, that will kill any "ecosystem" visions that Palm has.

I really hope they keep the App Catalog simple and easy to browse.

Oh, and release a wallpaper chanher already!
Carioca_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
If the rumor that you'd need to visit the developers site to pay for the app is true, that will kill any "ecosystem" visions that Palm has.

I really hope they keep the App Catalog simple and easy to browse.

Oh, and release a wallpaper chanher already!
No doubt that the lack of a client-side application like iTunes is going to make things more difficult. Frankly, I'd rather browse a store and test things out on my PC first.
Old 06/13/2009, 11:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Scuba, if I wasn't on the Pre, I'd give you a thanks now. I couldn't have said it better! (your previous post)

And hey, since you're all there, writing apps and all... Care to share more - new thread maybe? If you write us a wallpaper changer, I would personallly buy you rounds whenever you're down here!

Last edited by Carioca_FL; 06/13/2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06/13/2009, 11:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

The Pre is easier to create Apps for than the iphone. For example, it tooke 2 months to create Pandora for the iphone, it took 5 days for the pre.

Here is what the developers are saying.

Has the Palm Pre already beaten the iPhone? » VentureBeat
shadrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

just gimme my facebook app already
willpooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Scuba, if I wasn't on the Pre, I'd give you a thanks now. I couldn't have said it better! (your previous post)

And hey, since you're all there, writing apps and all... Care to share more - new thread maybe? If you write us a wallpaper change, I would personallly buy you rounds whenever you're down here!
Thanks bro.

Actually, there is a lot of discussion in the WebOS dev forum on this board. Most of it right now is about tweaking the OS and modifying Palm apps...like re-enabling adding and deleting pages in the launcher, adding call duration back to the log, etc. Personally, I have been looking at the email application to see how I can add a delete all option. That said, there are also burgeoning discussions on home brew. I posted screenshots of a "hello world" app that I wrote and installed this evening:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1677345

Not much at all (besides perhaps a flashlight ), but I'm just testing out framework level stuff at the moment. The best info that I have seen on WebOS development is the beta version of the new Palm WebOS book from O'Reilly:

Palm webOS: Rough Cuts Version | O'Reilly Media

At this point, I think that we can start working on things. An Eclipse plugin, an emulator, and official Palm documentation would be nice, but they are not necessary. The lack of those items, however, will slow folks down a little. That said, I am sure that Palm wants to get the SDK ASAP so they can stave off some of the app store criticism...but I also imagine that they want to test things very carefully at this point so there aren't a lot of buggy apps in there...which would cause a lot of issues for users and, by extension, reflect fairly negatively on their new OS and phone.
Old 06/13/2009, 11:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

You did the "hello world" app? Nice! 15 minutes of fame for you in the blogosphere, eh?

I've heard about this Eclipse plugin -what does it do? And can you "whip up" just the LED flashlight app?
Old 06/13/2009, 11:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
I want quality, not quantity.
Wait, i don't understand. You would rather have 1 really good iFart app instead of 76 sub par iFart apps?

Interesting....
cashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 12:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
You did the "hello world" app? Nice! 15 minutes of fame for you in the blogosphere, eh?

I've heard about this Eclipse plugin -what does it do? And can you "whip up" just the LED flashlight app?

Not sure about everything the Eclipse plugin does, but the O'Reilly book documents quite a bit. You can use the plugin to generate the superstructure for an app. It also has hooks to the Mojo command line apps (e.g., palm-package) for packaging and deployment to the emulator or an actual device. Of course, the command line tools are also missing at the moment. No biggie, we can do what we need to do by hand. It will just take longer.

The LED flashlight is easy, but it's not clear that the LED is designed to be on for extended periods. It most likely would eat up the battery, but the bigger concern is that the hardware might have issues with it drawing current for that long...and I don't want to fry anyone's Pre...mine included.

cheers,
Steve
Old 06/14/2009, 12:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
just gimme my facebook app already
Ditto!!!!!
abarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 01:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

I gotta say, when they release a facebook app, it better be badass...as good as any other facebook available now, at a minimum. If they are going to tout all this crazy facebook integration AND have huge life-size ads about it...expectations are high And I have no doubt that it's currently in the works...just can't wait for it. That, and a decent Twitter app, and Palm allowing different notifications for different things, and I am a VERY happy camper.
Old 06/14/2009, 02:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
  • While the Apple app store has 50,000 applications, about 45,000 of them make fart sounds.
Well, maybe not quite 45,000 but at least 60!

YouTube - 31 Fart Apps in 90 Seconds
Tikerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0