webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm, speed up the app approval process!
Palm, speed up the app approval process!

Old 06/14/2009, 05:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

Yeah, I have high hopes for the Facebook app - having facebook chat available (the only IM i really use) when I'm out and about is necessary for me, and it's on the iPhone, so it's not technologically impossible. I'm just hoping they dont do it blackberry style, where there's a FB app, but no chat.
Old 06/14/2009, 07:50 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashen View Post
Wait, i don't understand. You would rather have 1 really good iFart app instead of 76 sub par iFart apps?

Interesting....
If you regard iFart applications as being other than a zero on the software quality scale, then I could see how you might not understand.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 08:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

I'd like an app that would give me an agenda page like the Palm OS (all my daily and upcoming events) that also has the weather.
I may only have 1 or 2 events a day, so it's nice to see a list of what's going on a few days in advance without having to open the calendar and swipe through a bunch of days.
patchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: purplecharm
Old 06/14/2009, 09:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

If you go directly to facebook.com on the pre, you can use all the apps, chat, etc...just like you would on the pc. Nothing that is flash enabled ofcourse, but that is coming soon too.

Give it time, some of you need to stop sounding like spoiled brats who are too good to wait.
flash8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: lawilson2
Old 06/14/2009, 09:27 AM   #25 (permalink)

Really --- we're only 8 days in with a brand new OS and brand new hardware and a brand new SDK. Give it some time for everything to settle and the SDK to open up publicly. It will happen, and then the apps will start rolling.
jasonaward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 03:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
I want quality, not quantity.
Unfortunately right now we have neither.
clipcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 03:25 PM   #27 (permalink)

I think it's important for Sprint to consider that there will be some percentage (whatever that is) that will return their Pres if there aren't enough useful apps that show up within the 30 day return period. I haven't see a ton yet that can do something other than what the Pre came stock with. Streaming audio? Soma.fm/shoutcast. I don't even use Where/whatever the other one is, simply b/c I'd rather just type and hit google maps.

I'm starting to wonder if Palm dropped the ball and didn't let the devs early enough access to the SDK (even if it was a select few devs), and didn't set up a method of payment for apps (to give devs an incentive to put the better quality apps out there). Apple/iPhone already had the first-mover advantage, so unfortunately Palm doesn't have the same luxury.
drummer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 04:15 PM   #28 (permalink)

My, what an impatient lot. Obviously, never been early adopters before, or conveniently forgot birthing a new OS. I'm quite excited about the possibilities, and one of the things that intrigued me about WebOS was the Web part. As a web developer and programmer I've created a few pieces that I'd love to carry around with me.

Today the web, tomorrow we fart. Next week: Jiggly Boobs.
tomascco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 05:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
My, what an impatient lot. Obviously, never been early adopters before, or conveniently forgot birthing a new OS. I'm quite excited about the possibilities, and one of the things that intrigued me about WebOS was the Web part. As a web developer and programmer I've created a few pieces that I'd love to carry around with me.

Today the web, tomorrow we fart. Next week: Jiggly Boobs.
Are you talking about stuff you're written using Mojo??? If so, please share
Old 06/14/2009, 05:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Speaking of weather apps (above)...I wonder how tightly apps can be integrated into WebOS? I would love, for ex, a weather app that simply displays temp and maybe weather icon in the bottom left corner (or other area) based on my location. Better if it could run kind of like a Windows tray item, but I guess until cards can get minimized that wouldn't be possible...
Old 06/14/2009, 05:36 PM   #31 (permalink)

Ok ok. You guys are a apprehensive bunch here eh'?

Previously some stated all the facts in comparison to other phones releases. Why so much comparison? Return your Pre and come on back in a year and compre the next "pre killer" and tell us the same crap all over again. Its getting old. Hardware problems is one thing and maybe software too.... But an operating system with no problems upon release? Not possible. Come see me in version 2.0 with your bickering. Its getting old. People are turning 'bug reports' into 'personal complaints'.

Now. I figured out a way to get your fart app. Its sort of a hack. Record yourslef talking as a mp3 audio file... Hook up the usb. Transfer it over. Post it to your own contact. Different # other than your mobile #. Now just call your self so you can hear all the crap coming out of your mouth that we have to read. There you go. A PreBrew Fart App.

:-)
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 06:27 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
A little perspective might be helpful at this point:[LIST][*]The iPhone was out for a year before its app store was available
This is a moot point. The Pre is competing with the iPhone NOW, not when the iPhone was launched two years ago. This logic is horrendous and I hear it a lot. That's like saying the first ATT cell phone was limited in function, but the first Helio phone had a bunch of features.

Quote:
[*]The Pre had an app store at launch[*]The iPhone was out for about a year before the SDK was available
Same as above.

Quote:
[*]Many developers had access to the WebOS Mojo SDK prior to launch...and many of us are using their apps now
If many developers had access, why is it taking so long for apps to come out?

Quote:
[*]It took months for any jailbroken apps to show up on the iPhone.
But they're all there now. Again, you're comparing a situation now to a situation two years ago. Wouldn't you expect a company to match its competition as the market exists now rather than how the market was two years ago?

Quote:
[*]There is only one approved way to get an app on an iPhone - through the App Store...and Apple has an onerous application process that excludes many
And honestly, that's great for developers who don't break the rules in terms of what is allowed and what is not. A few inconsistent applications of Apple's rules aside, a one-stop clearing house and place where someone can buy apps with one click from one centralized location is incredibly beneficial for developers.

Another thing: I know you really like citing that the App Store isn't good because it just has a bunch of fart apps, but that's pretty ignorant. There are a ton of great programs, though, and saying that the whole store is focused on quantity over quality based on the existence of a few useless apps is completely over-generalizing.

Last edited by Badandy127; 06/14/2009 at 06:37 PM.
Badandy127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 07:13 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
This is a moot point. The Pre is competing with the iPhone NOW, not when the iPhone was launched two years ago. This logic is horrendous and I hear it a lot. That's like saying the first ATT cell phone was limited in function, but the first Helio phone had a bunch of features.

Same as above.

If many developers had access, why is it taking so long for apps to come out?

But they're all there now. Again, you're comparing a situation now to a situation two years ago. Wouldn't you expect a company to match its competition as the market exists now rather than how the market was two years ago?

And honestly, that's great for developers who don't break the rules in terms of what is allowed and what is not. A few inconsistent applications of Apple's rules aside, a one-stop clearing house and place where someone can buy apps with one click from one centralized location is incredibly beneficial for developers.

Another thing: I know you really like citing that the App Store isn't good because it just has a bunch of fart apps, but that's pretty ignorant. There are a ton of great programs, though, and saying that the whole store is focused on quantity over quality based on the existence of a few useless apps is completely over-generalizing.

Well, I'm not going to debate you point-for-point since I honestly don't think that doing so would accomplish much, but allow me offer up this item - the PalmOS had about 25,000 applications that were publicly available when the iPhone hit the streets. The iPhone then had less than 20 apps for the next year. Did that kill the iPhone?

You can't go from zero to sixty in two feet...nor can you go from zero to 50,000 in one week. Palm now has far fewer resources than Apple and they need to ensure that the SDK is stable before they release it. My main point was this - patience. Palm has been near death for years. I am sure that they have more than enough motivation to drive forward without us snipping at their heels. BTW, the iPhone is not their only threat. By the end of the year, we will most likely see a dozen or more Android-based phones available on a range of carriers. That SDK was out well before we even saw the first Android-based handset...and Google had the cash to pay independent folks to write for it.

Ignorant? Well, you certainly have the right to your perspective, but my perspective has a few bits of insight between my large patches of ignorance. One such perspective is this - as a software developer for over 20 years, I suspect that most of Palm is heavily focused on this release right now...and solving issues associated with it. I am sure that some of them are working on the SDK, but the release is most likely priority. If this release is blown and the Pre's core apps and/or core back-end services don't work properly, then an SDK is largely a moot point. EAS and other evolving issues are probably torturing quite a few folks at Palm right now.

Palm isn't going to win the quantity war...well, at least anytime soon (if ever). Quality is where it's at for now...and not blowing this release.

Regarding the 45,000 fart apps, please, allow me to help: definition | Dictionary.com

cheers,
Steve
Old 06/14/2009, 07:29 PM   #34 (permalink)

Scuba. You crack me up. Humor.... Hahahaha.

I got an idea for an app. Anyone want to write a basic app that'll make bigger fame than a fart app. Any takers? Friends tell me its a good fab.
Old 06/14/2009, 10:09 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
Scuba. You crack me up. Humor.... Hahahaha.

I got an idea for an app. Anyone want to write a basic app that'll make bigger fame than a fart app. Any takers? Friends tell me its a good fab.

Just trying to lighten things up.

cheers,
Steve
Old 06/14/2009, 11:07 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
Well, I'm not going to debate you point-for-point since I honestly don't think that doing so would accomplish much, but allow me offer up this item - the PalmOS had about 25,000 applications that were publicly available when the iPhone hit the streets. The iPhone then had less than 20 apps for the next year. Did that kill the iPhone?
No, and I'm not saying it's going to kill the Pre. I'm saying Palm isn't handling the release well in this respect. I don't expect them to have 50,000 apps, but I expect them to at least offer developers the chance to make some programs. If the SDK is still not ready, why have they distributed it to the pre-chosen developers?

Quote:
Regarding the 45,000 fart apps, please, allow me to help: definition | Dictionary.com
Of course I know it's an exaggeration, but because those apps exist the entire App Store is characterized as quantity over quality. Just read some threads here and you'll see the same sentiment. There were some useless apps for Palm OS that I had on my palms, but I never took that to mean there were no quality apps for the OS...

Seriously, anytime someone says the Pre has so few apps someone here responds with "It's better than having a bunch of fart apps." I know it's just a jab at the App Store, but the more people say it the more people actually think the entire store is filled with immature apps and useless utilities, which isn't the case...
Old 06/15/2009, 12:23 AM   #37 (permalink)

Hey badandy.

(in a hoodlum gangster voice)

WESTSIDE!

Palm Nation baby!

Ok, maybe we not bloods and crips but lets not forget all the anti-palm articles and blogospheres antipalm rants. Palm is dead, yada yada yada. People here are poking fun at Apple.

Trust me, those in disagreement about the satire of our post, respond accordingly... Sometimes annoyingly. (is that a word?) Those who do not agree with the Pre will definatle be checking out iphone & blkbrys. I donot think their decision will be based on someone telling them that there are 45000 fart apps. Besides if there were 45000 different fart apps, I'd definitely would want to see that.

I understand your point to an extent, but lets not forget Apple spends a large sum of money promoting their phone with the app store... So the counter would of course be to poot back @ them.

Now if anyone would generalize a whole store of 50,000 apps w/ a gazillion downloads and to think that, that many people are making fart noises.....

1 they probably don't have a smartphone

2 they probably don't need apps

3 they own whoopie cushions

There is talent in all aspects of different operating systems, and I'm sure most people know that.

- facebook/johnnypre

Last edited by JohnnyPre; 06/15/2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06/15/2009, 01:13 AM   #38 (permalink)

I have no come-back for any of that. I don't know what's going on anymore.
Old 06/15/2009, 01:17 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
I have no come-back for any of that. I don't know what's going on anymore.
Well, it's after 2:00 AM here and I am still cranking on a design for a client...and my brain is starting to leak out of my ears...so neither do I.

cheers,
Steve

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0