webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Comparing iphones and palm pres app store?
Comparing iphones and palm pres app store?

Old 06/13/2009, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

ok so I know apple doesn't try to hide the fact that they have 50000 available in the app store which means that they have ove 70 apps released on a daily basis, how did their app store look like when the first iphone was just released?
dkotoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod touch. There are a lot of apps, but there is a lot of crap in there too. There is also a lot of duplicate functionality. I'm not saying Apple's App Store isn't great, because it is. But, 50,000 apps doesn't tell the whole story.

IIRC, When the iPhone was first released there was no such thing as the app store.
kosh56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

if I remember correctly the apple app store had a pretty fast development
hchavarria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't have an iPhone but a lot of friends do and one of them develops games for it. It's a good store and has a large enough user base that there is an incentive to develop for it. Hopefully the WebOS app store gets that kind of critical mass behind it because it is great for the user. When a dev knows that they can reach that many people there is some real incentive to write great software since they can make good money for good apps. Sure there is a lot of crap but the games and other apps available are very impressive. This is the main thing you lose (IMO) by going with Pre or G1 over iPhone. I think WebOS has lots of potential but only time will tell whether developers really start putting good programs out for it.
neodorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think there are three things palm should do

1. offer classic for free, and improves its compatibility with old apps, after all, there are 30,000 classic apps out there.

2. offer SDK to 3rd party developers ASAP, i know they are doing this

3. opening lower level hardware access for more games.

to compete with apple's marketing machine, just doing better than iPhone is most aspect isn't good enough (like now), Pre needs to do better in all aspect. Including games. Its capable, so why not.
clevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am aching to develop, but without risking the bricking of the phone by using the upupdowndown hack at this point. Really really hope they release the SDK ASAP.
pandit.manish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevin View Post
I think there are three things palm should do

1. offer classic for free, and improves its compatibility with old apps, after all, there are 30,000 classic apps out there.

2. offer SDK to 3rd party developers ASAP, i know they are doing this

3. opening lower level hardware access for more games.

to compete with apple's marketing machine, just doing better than iPhone is most aspect isn't good enough (like now), Pre needs to do better in all aspect. Including games. Its capable, so why not.
I don't think there's any doubt that Palm will be doing #2 very soon and #3 eventually. Probably in a shorter period of time than it took Apple to offer local apps let alone apps with deeper access.

I don't want Palm to offer Classic for "free," however, because I have no use for it and don't want to subsidize those who do. I'm glad that Palm didn't roll the cost of Classic into the Pre, and I'd rather Palm pour that money into continuing to improve the WebOS platform.
Old 06/13/2009, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I listened to the gdgt podcast about the Pre and someone made a pretty good point about the developers. They said Pre will likely get a *****load of webdevelopers who can't program in C+ or whatever. People who wouldn't develop stuff for other phones.

Which is true. I develop websites myself and I've thought about making a Pre app in my spare time. For a G1, iPhone or even WinMo app I would have to learn another language. So I probably wouldn't get into it. The Pre potentially has millions of webdevelopers who can program for it. It might turn into a different community.

Also, 50,000 apps is a plus, but as kosh said, oversaturation is a problem. When you get to the point of a couple of thousand apps, you need a good infrastructure so people can still find what they're looking for. Separate the crap from the awesomeness.

Last edited by bruba; 06/16/2009 at 06:07 PM.
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0