webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > First Hint at App Store Prices
First Hint at App Store Prices

Old 06/12/2009, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

There is a "About Spaz" section in the Spaz app that says:

"Our plan is to charge $3 for the 1.0 version"

Last edited by xberserker; 06/12/2009 at 03:43 PM.
xberserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

3 bucks is a bargain
i think
Jupiter600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

This is one thing the Apple App store has paved the way for us...in a good way. In the "pre-app store" days, you almost couldn't find any app for under $15. Now the days of .99/1.99 apps are among us. This is a good thing. Just look at how the Slingplayer at $29 sparked outrage on the apple boards. Now it's always been priced at that, but compared to the great majority of apps in apple's store, $29 is a fortune.

Lower prices are always better. I suspect the pricing model of the Palm app store will generally be under $8/app. That's a GOOD thing. If an app is more, it better bring some serious value (like Slingplayer does...although it should be priced at $9).

Lower price and high volume is always the way to go. I'd much rather sell 300,000 apps at .99 than 1000 apps at $29.99. How about you? (it's the economy, stupid).

Similar profit, but much higher potential for explosive growth (that is, the .99 app compared to the 29.99 app). Impulse purchases are 10000% more likely with a cheap app. And that's how you make money boys and girls.
coolbreeze78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Zyphlin
Old 06/12/2009, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

If applications charge even $5 that would be great! I just don't want to get back to the days of $15-$50 for Palm applications. Some major ones may be worth it but most games and small utilities should be kept low. Volume, volume, volume!!! ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Great post Eric. It is one the prime things I liked about the iPhone. App prices for a mobile setting, when they just weren't that robust, were insane on WinMo and POS. $.99 to $4.99 pricing, with actual useful free apps and decent useable free demos is such the way to go.

More than that too, I think you'd see the amount of priating and warez use of programs go down significantly with that too. I admit early on when I was a young college kid without a lot of cash I was FAR more likely to go jump on a torrent or KaZaa and look for a Windows Mobile app I wanted that cost $30 bucks because the hassle of trying to find a workable one was less bothersome than the $30 bucks was. If it was instead however $3.00 I would've bought it in a heart beat. The pricing of apps just didn't reflect their usefulness often.
Zyphlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
Great post Eric. It is one the prime things I liked about the iPhone. App prices for a mobile setting, when they just weren't that robust, were insane on WinMo and POS. $.99 to $4.99 pricing, with actual useful free apps and decent useable free demos is such the way to go.

More than that too, I think you'd see the amount of priating and warez use of programs go down significantly with that too. I admit early on when I was a young college kid without a lot of cash I was FAR more likely to go jump on a torrent or KaZaa and look for a Windows Mobile app I wanted that cost $30 bucks because the hassle of trying to find a workable one was less bothersome than the $30 bucks was. If it was instead however $3.00 I would've bought it in a heart beat. The pricing of apps just didn't reflect their usefulness often.
Completely agree. And I am still that way.

I'm not paying $30 for an WM App. They are almost all pretty simplistic apps.
Just not going to happen.

With the amount of Apps users are potentially going to buy, you are only going to discourage the culture of buying Apps by pricing them up that high.
gmanvbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

The big question is - if you buy an app, do you get updates for free or just until the next major release?
mosdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'd prefer to see the old Palm OS app market prices and development community. Apple's market is still enjoying euphoria among naive developers, but it is not sustainable at these prices. Software pricing has nothing to do with the convention of $1 tracks on iTunes.
Old 06/12/2009, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

As far as I have read the pre app catalog isn't a store like apple's. Theres no "App Store Prices", the developers are free to charge whatever they want and handle the payment any way they want. Palm doesn't act as a middle party they just distribute the programs and updates.
joshewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

this thread answered most of my questions, leaving just one...

are there or where are the prices for the apps that are in the app catalog?
tarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well..it's the App Catalog...lol.....but yeah, those prices would be very tolerable, in my opinion it limits piracy as well....why bother jumping through hoops to get something for free if it's only 3 bucks!

I just hope they don't do subscription based stuff, that would suck. Too many games in the Sprint Store are subscription based and cost 3 bucks or more a MONTH!
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

The most I'm willing to spend on an app is $10. As someone stated, I don't want them to do anything subscrpition based or buying an app and an add-on feature costs additional money.
barrysanders20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

not too bad. there's bound to be a "I Am Rich" app
Old 06/14/2009, 10:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivan View Post
I'd prefer to see the old Palm OS app market prices and development community. Apple's market is still enjoying euphoria among naive developers, but it is not sustainable at these prices. Software pricing has nothing to do with the convention of $1 tracks on iTunes.
I'd argue that most mobile apps take about the same work as one music track.
mosdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
I'd argue that most mobile apps take about the same work as one music track.
+1
NachoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 11:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Missing Sync is 40 or 50.
murdermitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2009, 12:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

$3 is going towards hosting costs. The software is open source. Meaning, you can download the source (or should be able to) and create your own application from it.
rposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
As far as I have read the pre app catalog isn't a store like apple's. Theres no "App Store Prices", the developers are free to charge whatever they want and handle the payment any way they want. Palm doesn't act as a middle party they just distribute the programs and updates.
This is correct.

We're planning on charging $3, but there has been *no* guidance about what we should charge. Others may have completely different pricing structures. In our cases, we'll use the money to support the people who contribute to the Spaz desktop app *and* the mobile app, all of whom are currently not compensated in any way beyond (very infrequent) donations.
Old 06/16/2009, 09:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funka7ron View Post
This is correct.

We're planning on charging $3, but there has been *no* guidance about what we should charge. Others may have completely different pricing structures. In our cases, we'll use the money to support the people who contribute to the Spaz desktop app *and* the mobile app, all of whom are currently not compensated in any way beyond (very infrequent) donations.
So do you have any idea how purchasing will work when it leaves beta? You click on purchase app and it takes you to a web page hosted by the app maker to purchase it? Any idea when purchased apps will be available in the store?
jayzun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 09:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
So do you have any idea how purchasing will work when it leaves beta? You click on purchase app and it takes you to a web page hosted by the app maker to purchase it? Any idea when purchased apps will be available in the store?
I don't know. I *think* purchases will be handled by the app catalog. I definitely do not want to handle payments myself.

Tags
app store, palm pre, spaz, sprint

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0