webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Careful with your clock/ alarm app
Careful with your clock/ alarm app

Old 06/12/2009, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

So yeah, I really should be rushing off instead of posting this but I wanted to post a quick warning... close all of your cards or reboot before you go to bed if you use your Pre alarm app. I just woke up two and a half hours late, and then while I was wondering why my alarm didn't go off, was throwing away all the cards on my Pre... which after I did that, finally the alarm then went off.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by buyrihn, larnapp
Old 06/12/2009, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Scary. This is one of the things that scare me about any new phone. My Blackberry was 100% reliable when it came to the alarm. I've never had much faith in Palm's alarm apps. My 650 used to reset when the alarm went off. That was just awesome.
coolbreeze78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't really keep a lot of cards open at night when I'm sleeping...so I think I'll be fine. Thanks for the heads up, though.
Old 06/12/2009, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

For the most part I tend to keep cards closed if I'm not using them. As some stuff doesn't need a card to receive data like SMS and email or Tweed.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had my alarm not go off Wed morning. I believe the reason for it was that I had a calendar entry set for the entire day Wed, that was set to notify me, and since this notification was up, the alarm was queued up behind it, and didn't sound until I had dealt with the earlier notification.
j2lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hope it didn't screw your day up too much.

I was happy to get the louder ringtones installed so I could use the Pre as an alarm. For some reason last night, I still set my BB. 100% reliable is right.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

does the alarm/clock app turn on when u put it in charger like the blackberry or do you open it yourself?
tiberius55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think if palm could get it embedded into the OS itself, instead of relying on an app for the alarm, it would be more reliable, unless there is a way to have certain apps take precedence over others.
Old 06/12/2009, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

While browsing around the OS files, in one config file I saw that the phone, contacts, and messaging app were prioritized to run no matter what, even if the memory was low. The Clock app can be added to that list
aonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think you must of had unstable or partially crashed app open? My pre alarm has worked perfectly every morning since launch regardless of how many cards were open or if there were un-cleared alerts. Maybe I have just been lucky?

Did you by chance have a Classic card open? I have found that if you leave classic running it eventually becomes unstable.
RC46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 09:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonic View Post
While browsing around the OS files, in one config file I saw that the phone, contacts, and messaging app were prioritized to run no matter what, even if the memory was low. The Clock app can be added to that list
This needs to happen. An alarm clock is a critical app simply because it always needs to be 100% reliable, I would rather have a dropped call then a missed alarm every time.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

For my experience, I didn't have any cards open, just the notification from the calendar that I had to dismiss/snooze, and then the alarm went off. It worked fine for me this morning, though I had no calendar alarms open. I think I will test it some this weekend, worst that will happen is I will wake up a little late to drown a worm.
Old 06/12/2009, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

It didn't affect my day too badly so far, luckily, but yeah, when I woke up, the Pre was running very, very slowly too. I'd went to bed with maybe 8-10 cards running, I didn't really count. The Music app was running but not playing (I fall asleep to music- and before you ask this isn't why the alarm didn't go off because it's worked properly like this before), I had Spaz, Express Stocks, Messaging, Email, Calendar, and Accuweather running in the background, maybe a few others too.

I'd actually first assumed I'd slept through the alarm, but then I noticed how slow the Pre was running, and closed out of cards that were already open, and all of a sudden the alarm went off then, two hours or so later. And yeah, I think the alarm definitely needs to be added to that list of applications that always run, even in low memory (assuming that'd fix the issue).
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

I've been using the alarm daily since I've had it. No issues here, just wish it was louder.
xberserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Mine did not go off for the same reason j2lawson did not have his go off, I set a calender notification to go off prior to the alarm. When I woke up to work calling me I dismissed the calender notification to find my alarm immediately going off afterwords.
iamfrontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

I posted this earlier, but I found the alarm would not work if there is a reminder set before it.

I had a reminder set in calendar for 6:00am and an alarm for 6:30. Apparantly, the reminder went off (very low volume) and just sat there waiting. When I picked up the phone at 8am and acknowledged the reminder, the 6:30 alarm went off!

So - make sure you have no reminder set before the alarm if you want it to wake you up!
tommyt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2lawson View Post
I had my alarm not go off Wed morning. I believe the reason for it was that I had a calendar entry set for the entire day Wed, that was set to notify me, and since this notification was up, the alarm was queued up behind it, and didn't sound until I had dealt with the earlier notification.
Now THAT'S scary!

The o.p.'s warning is a useful one, but a bit more understandable, if not downright predictable. This, though, sounds like a real frickin' BUG.
Old 06/12/2009, 11:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Hope it didn't screw your day up too much.

I was happy to get the louder ringtones installed so I could use the Pre as an alarm. For some reason last night, I still set my BB. 100% reliable is right.
Does that mean your Pre DIDN'T go off? Or are you just having a Bb moment, there?
Old 06/12/2009, 11:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2lawson View Post
I think if palm could get it embedded into the OS itself, instead of relying on an app for the alarm, it would be more reliable, unless there is a way to have certain apps take precedence over others.
Mighty good point.
Old 06/12/2009, 11:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Weird - mine didnt go off today either. Luckily 30 minutes after alarm should have gone off Mother Nature called. Kind of scary. I had no cards open but there was a reminder notification from my Tasks app.
darrinaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: geodim

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0