webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Careful with your clock/ alarm app
Careful with your clock/ alarm app

Old 06/12/2009, 11:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

my alarm didnt work for the first day and thus i was late an hour (it was set to weekdays). the following days, i remade the alarm and set it to daily just in case and its been working fine for now
ayman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:15 AM   #22 (permalink)

thanks for the heads up. Other than the first monday I had it, I've had no problems with the alarm.
reminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:15 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt26 View Post
I posted this earlier, but I found the alarm would not work if there is a reminder set before it.

I had a reminder set in calendar for 6:00am and an alarm for 6:30. Apparantly, the reminder went off (very low volume) and just sat there waiting. When I picked up the phone at 8am and acknowledged the reminder, the 6:30 alarm went off!

So - make sure you have no reminder set before the alarm if you want it to wake you up!
This sounds like an actual, factual bug. And it also sounds like ANOTHER reason that PALM should've supplied at least a simple alarm clock app instead of leaving it to developers.

(Because of the priority level thing someone else mentioned.)
Old 06/12/2009, 11:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by west3man View Post
This sounds like an actual, factual bug. And it also sounds like ANOTHER reason that PALM should've supplied at least a simple alarm clock app instead of leaving it to developers.

It is Palm's application.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

Yea, I want the alarm I manually set to take priority over anything else in my calendar. I have my vacation on my calendar as all day appointments, I'm curious to see if my alarm will not go off.
reminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:21 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
It is Palm's application.
No $#!+ ???

EDIT: Was it at least a FREE add-on? (With that update, maybe? Kinda sounds familiar, now.)
Old 06/12/2009, 11:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

Quote:
No $#!+ ???

EDIT: Was it at least a FREE add-on? (With that update, maybe? Kinda sounds familiar, now.)
Indeed, it was automatically installed with update 1.0.2.

Palm is aware of the flaws in the Alarm program and has plans to update it to work correctly (i.e. weekend/day issues); it is possible the priority of the notifications are on the board as well.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

Not sure it could technically be called a bug, but a design flaw since they didn't include the alarm native; this is functioning as designed, but the design leaves a little to be desired (or a lot to be desired in this case). I wouldn't expect most apps to take precedence over others by default, but reserve that system critical applications (not business critical).

I would imagine they could add additional applications to the list that will always function, but that would have to be very limited, to only one application per function, otherwise you could end up with everything trying to run, all of the time, in which case nothing would be able to.

This is also not something that you would want to allow external developers to set, due to the potential impact to the basic functionality of the device. I would expect they would be similar to the design of Classic, only a few would be allowed access to this portion of the OS, and only for specific apps.
j2lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

Anyone find it annoying that if you snooze the screen lock turns on before the snooze goes off so you have to unlock the phone before you can dismiss it or snooze again?
TechFirstAid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:44 AM   #30 (permalink)

I actually think it would be nice if, instead of locking the screen by pushing the button in the upper right corner, or at the designated time interval, it would just turn off the screen, only locking it if you have secure unlock enabled.
j2lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:52 AM   #31 (permalink)

I've had no major problems with the alarm. It goes off, in fact it was too loud so I had to use a different sound. It goes off even when in silent mode. Snooze should change to 9 minutes instead of 5 and the buttons to dismiss and snooze should be larger.
Shane112358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:53 AM   #32 (permalink)

I left the clock card running the entire first day and started getting the "can't open new cards message"...Closed all the cards and kept trying to leave the clock card open all the time and consistently got that message when the clock card was open. New cards would always open after I closed them all and waited a minute or so. I never had to restart the OS either. Eventually I wanted to see how long it took to reboot...I haven't ran the clock card since and have had zero instances of the "can't open cards" message even with 10-15 cards open.

I suspect a memory leak in the clock app along with these alarm probs.

Love the Pre!

PS in the first update...me hopes they add 20 new skins for the new and improved clock app
AMR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:55 AM   #33 (permalink)

Yeah, also this: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-present.html
Sprockethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 12:36 PM   #34 (permalink)

Version 1.0 or not, I think the Pre is not ready for prime time. Too many bugs, too many missing features. This was seemingly rushed to meet Palm's self imposed "first half of the year" deadline, and beat the iPhone 3.0 out the door. It's really too bad, because while the fans here might be willing to put up with bugs like this, the typical consumer, I think, will say "F*** It, I'm taking it back and getting an iPhone. At least it works."
Old 06/12/2009, 01:17 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2lawson View Post
I had my alarm not go off Wed morning. I believe the reason for it was that I had a calendar entry set for the entire day Wed, that was set to notify me, and since this notification was up, the alarm was queued up behind it, and didn't sound until I had dealt with the earlier notification.
This was my experience today. The alarm is in the notification field but if there is an undismissed notification above it in priority the ring does not happen
Loolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 01:24 PM   #36 (permalink)

i have mine set to weekdays and after i dismiss it in the morning the little notification goes away...so at night it's still not there and that worries me so ive been going into the alarm clock and turning it off and then on...then the bell shows up and we're all good and it goes off in the morning like it should.
abarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 01:25 PM   #37 (permalink)

Awww great. The Touch Pro would completely turn off while charging. Not fun.
prochobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 01:30 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyone find it annoying that if you snooze the screen lock turns on before the snooze goes off so you have to unlock the phone before you can dismiss it or snooze again?
i still think the 'shake to snooze' idea that someone suggested would be amazing.
Old 06/12/2009, 01:33 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
i have mine set to weekdays and after i dismiss it in the morning the little notification goes away...so at night it's still not there and that worries me so ive been going into the alarm clock and turning it off and then on...then the bell shows up and we're all good and it goes off in the morning like it should.
Maybe thats a good workaround. I just wonder though if another app pops up a notification if it will silence the alarm. need to test.
darrinaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 01:41 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xberserker View Post
I've been using the alarm daily since I've had it. No issues here, just wish it was louder.
Get the louder ringtone pack:

http://www.precentral.net/louder-pal...ingtone-volume

This will wake you up, trust me :P
Baryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0