1.    #1  
    From writing in another thread the idea came to me and wonder if others see it as the direction that Palm is going...

From the news that ATT will get the Pixie and Verizon will be getting a WebOS phone most likely...

That Palm is already thinking of going with mulitple carriers... worldwide. They can go mulitple manufacturers like SamSung, LG, HTC, HP, DELL... new phone designs and not just locking to one phone design like iphone or Pre.

So this is not a iphone versus pre competition... more like spread WebOS and overtake WinMo as the most sold OS and in that way taking the market.

IMO that's the best way for Palm to go to get back to the top of the Smartphone game and by the Pixie seems the direction. They don't care about the Pre form factor. They may refresh it a bit but they'll move on like they do their Treo's... It's the OS that matters.
    i don't think palm will license webOS to other phone makers. IMO what keeps mac os x and the iphone OS tight is that they don't run on other hardware. this gives palm the chance to refine their OS to the hardware they use and thus gives them more control.

the problem with windows and windows mobile is the opposite of that, they run on all sorts of hardware which makes it impossible to get tight control.

for the user you get plenty of pros and cons. the first approach you get a tighter OS and a more comfortable experience but no free range in third party apps.

the second approach you get all the third party apps you can handle, but nothing functions smoothly.

i highly doubt palm wants the second approach. i do think that webOS will end up being more popular than the iphone OS eventually, but it will not be at the expense of the user experience.

remember, the guy that left apple to design the pre is now the palm ceo. expect a lot of apple-esque decisions.
    Palm won't license out WebOS like MS does with WinMo. I'm pretty positive they've said as much during investor conference calls.

Palm, like Apple, likes marrying the hardware to the software in such a way to guarantee a certain user experience. They sacrifice market share for that but it does have its benefits.

The fact that Palm is thinking of multiple devices with WebOS and multiple carriers (even domestically) puts them in a potential better position than Apple (who is really limited themselves with AT&T here).

WinMo is still primarily an enterprise OS, though that will change next year with WM7. Either way, there is plenty of room for growth for everyone involved and Palm doesn't need to outsell anyone to be successful.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    If they're smart, and I think they are, they won't lisence out the phone.

Most likely what they'll do is go with a 3 tiered model for a bit.

The Palm Pro with WinMo and its evolution. This is for those that just have to have a more enterprising OS like WinMo

The Palm Pre with WebOS and its evolution. Their top end, full screened, slider WebOS device

The Palm Eos with WebOS and its evolution. Their consumer level, screen/keyboard split device

Gives them a little bit everywhere, allows them to have multiple brands, but also allows them to control their hardware so the OS can run seamlessly with it.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    my 2 cents.

Winmo blows- it's like everything else MS does- unstable - scatterbrained. A mess. Ton's of 3rd party apps but if you load up a bunch you wind up having instability issues. unless winmo7 is built from scratch (doubt it) it will be more of the same with a pretty ui. Pretty ui alone doesn't make something a success if it's always crashing, locking up, and needing soft resets.

With some tweaking WebOs can easily be an enterprise OS. They are working to enable the security features from exchange activesync that many places demand. Hopefully Good Mobile Messagine will come out with a version for WebOS so that base would be covered. That basically leaves blackberries and big companies are leaving that becuase it's requires license costs over and above exchange which they all own already. Which brings me to my next point- EOS doesn't need to be a consumer device. It Could very well be the Enterprise WebOS device. look at all the "real" business phones- they all have real keyboards- blackberries, all the treos, blackjack/epix/saga. ALl the nokia smartphones for business.

Some of us (maybe old folks- laughing)- just want our hard buttons out in the open all the time.

I'm hoping the EOS is a WebOS replacement for the Treo Pro as opposed to a replacement for the centro. Even if it is a replacement for a centro- that does everything this business user needs- slap the new WebOS on it, size UP the keyboard a smidge, and I'd be happy.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I think palm may still keep there partnership with microsoft to keep windows mobile running on some of there treo's. This would give users two choice's between palm's "new" WebOS and windows mobile.
    I definitely think Palm should keep WebOS to their hardware only. As much as one side of me would like to see HTC build a WebOS device with a horizontal slide out keyboard, it's not worth the risk of WebOS phones with varying hardware specs and such like what WinMo deals with.

Having an HTC Touch Pro right now, which is a fabulous WinMo phone and is infact capable of greater things than most other smartphones, it still has it's issues, and it's mostly because WinMo has had to be built to run on really crummy hardware, down to 200mhz CPU's with 32mb RAM and no GPU, trying to get an OS structured for such limitations to run on modern hardware just isn't getting the speed results desired other than the ability to multi-task a lot more than ever. for the past year now, MS has been working hard to transition WinMo from a primarily work platform to a work-and-play platform, and WinMo 6.5 is an improvement, but nothing like what we've seen of WinMo 7, which has a completely fresh new look, bearing absolutely no resemblance of any kind to it's predecessors, (I think it was started from scratch, but I won't bet on it) but they've been working on it over 2 years, it is taking forever, I'm done waiting, I'm so going to the Pre for now, and possibly forever!

I really think Sprint is making a huge mistake by not holding permanent exclusivity over the Pre, they need it, long-term, to help them repair their rather negative reputation that has long been damaged by mostly invalid complaints.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agentjonnyb View Post

I really think Sprint is making a huge mistake by not holding permanent exclusivity over the Pre, they need it, long-term, to help them repair their rather negative reputation that has long been damaged by mostly invalid complaints.
    I dont think they have enough money to pay palm enough or to subsidize phones cheap enough to sell so many that palm doesn't NEED to look elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I dont think they have enough money to pay palm enough or to subsidize phones cheap enough to sell so many that palm doesn't NEED to look elsewhere.
    That is probably the only valid reason, but I honestly think they could afford it, but are afraid to take the risk of investing so much more, maybe what they'll do is closely monitor the momentum this builds for them and judging from there in a few months, make a final decision...
    I like to see Palm keep WebOS in their devices, and to make a couple more than just the Pre and the Eos, and sell them through more than one carrier and of course, all over the world.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Not only is it unlikely that Palm will license the OS to other phone vendors, but I've read that Microsoft plans to scale back their licensing, so as to have more control over hardware / software integration.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I read an interesting article that kind of debunks the need to license using blackberry as the model (tried to google news it but can't find it- it was up on the google news home page earlier this morning)

anyway last quarter Blackberry has more than 50% of the us market for smart phones. There are equal numbers of blackberries as iphones on ATT's network.

there are several different models on like every carrier know to man. All running their OS. Not a single one on a licensed device.

So there's no reason to be winmo. Blackberry kicks **** with their own software and hardware.

On the international level- I beleive nokia is the WORLDS leading smartphone with like 40+% of the market. I'm not sure but i dont think they've licensed their os untill just recently when they made it open source? (not really sure there though- anyone?)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    ... I've read that Microsoft plans to scale back their licensing, so as to have more control over hardware / software integration.

I've seen that too. I actually think it's in play now. Yet still winmo doesn't really have any signature devices. Still no capacitive touch screens...
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    On the international level- I beleive nokia is the WORLDS leading smartphone with like 40+% of the market. I'm not sure but i dont think they've licensed their os untill just recently when they made it open source? (not really sure there though- anyone?)
    I do believe Nokia leads the world in number of mobile phones sold, not just smartphones, at 40+%.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Excoriar View Post
    I do believe Nokia leads the world in number of mobile phones sold, not just smartphones, at 40+%.
    found this article that has good perspective:
    Nokia continues to hemorrhage Smartphone market share to RIM and Apple

nokia has 40% of smartphone market worldwide, RIM (blackberry) has 20%, Apple has 10%.

Smartphones currently are just 12% of the total cell phone market. So there's plenty of room for everyone to expand.

But I guess the picture is- (assuming that nokia's symbian isn't on any other device- not sure)- is that 70% (40+20+10) of the market at least is on OS that are not licensed but rather build with the hardware and software from the same company.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agentjonnyb View Post

i dont believe that permanent exclusivity is Sprints choice to make, Palm would be stupid to not go to different carriers, the loss would be tremendous!