webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Needed: "Close all Cards"
Needed: "Close all Cards"

Old 06/10/2009, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Not really sure the best way that Palm can implement this, but there definitely needs to be a "Close all Cards" button or gesture or option or something.

I had like 10 cards open and it took too long to close them all lol (not that I had to because its WebOS!)
weboslawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gosh, I guess I've never had so many cards open that it would be useful.
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

"Close all cards" can be done like so: Orange + Sym + R

EDIT: Sorry; I assumed you knew the above key combination performs a soft reset. My bad!

Seriously though, being such a small scale hardware platform, you are not realistically going to have more than maybe 15 cards open simultaneously? The problem I see with implementing such a function is that it will either add to the complexity of keypresses and/or gestures, or worse - if a visual button is used there will be added clutter to the UI (this is a Bad Thing with such little real estate).

The only realistic way I see to do this would be to use a shift/ctrl select of the cards in card view... but that seems kludgy to me. Overall, I am against the idea.

Last edited by maskedferret; 06/10/2009 at 09:12 PM.
maskedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedferret View Post
"Close all cards" can be done like so: Orange + Sym + R
Damn you!!
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy View Post
Damn you!!
+ 1

treotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedferret View Post
"Close all cards" can be done like so: Orange
Seriously though, being such a small scale hardware platform, you are not realistically going to have more than maybe 15 cards open simultaneously? The problem I see with implementing such a function is that it will either add to the complexity of keypresses and/or gestures, or worse - if a visual button is used there will be added clutter to the UI (this is a Bad Thing with such little real estate).

The only realistic way I see to do this would be to use a shift/ctrl select of the cards in card view... but that seems kludgy to me. Overall, I am against the idea.

How about this: when you shrink the cards by clicking outside of a card, THEN the button appears to close all cards?

This way you hardly ever see the button (saving screen real estate)
Old 06/11/2009, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

How about if that corner that says Sprint was an actual menu with useful stuff like close all cards.
joshewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
How about if that corner that says Sprint was an actual menu with useful stuff like close all cards.
LOL that was WAY better than my suggestion.

Actually, they should just add "Close all Cards" to the battery menu, then they don't even have to create a new menu!

Seeing as that battery menu is pretty much the "System" menu.
Old 06/12/2009, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

On a side note, they need to make the menu button area larger, I have a hard time hitting it accurately. Usually takes me 2-3 taps to get the menu to open.
ctiptonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 02:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiptonk View Post
On a side note, they need to make the menu button area larger, I have a hard time hitting it accurately. Usually takes me 2-3 taps to get the menu to open.
It actually registers from the center where the time is all the way to the right. You just have to aim for the top of the black part and you can hit it easier. Like get the center of your finger at the top of the black bar and you should hit it.

Same wit the left menus but coming from the other direction.
joshewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 03:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiptonk View Post
They need to optimize their proximity touch algorithms to allow for user error when objects that interact are nearby. Please palm.. polish the UI!
wprater is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0