webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Music app - Playlist support?
Music app - Playlist support?

Old 06/10/2009, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

I copied over my music and playlists (asx) from my Touch Pro to Palm Pre and the music app doesn't seem to be recognizing my asx playlists. I stored my music in \music and my playlist \playlist (self-created directory).

Which playlist file format does the Pre support? I couldn't find anything searching the forums and manual.

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
sheltem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

It doesn't seem to support m3u playlists either. Palm, plzfixkthxbai
mgoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tried \playlists & \music\playlists to no luck. I'm trying to use .m3u via MediaMonkey.
palmcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have an iPod and load my music and podcasts through iTunes. When I tapped media sync on my Pre, it was recognized as an iPod and everything came over seamlessly. Making playlists in iTunes is a snap and you just drag your playlists to your device.
bdhu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2009, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

How do you make custom playlists in the music app? When I tap on the playlist tab, there is nothing there to begin with, but I can't figure out how to add songs to the current (empty) playlist.
Ecoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2009, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoteric View Post
How do you make custom playlists in the music app? When I tap on the playlist tab, there is nothing there to begin with, but I can't figure out how to add songs to the current (empty) playlist.
I dont think you can make playlists within the Pre. I havent found a way yet.
BMIC50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2009, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've dragged some of my iTunes playlists to the Pre when I open iTunes & I've dragged songs that I like into playlist. Currently, the Pre is seen as an iPod when you select Media sync. Be sure to check your preferences & that you choose manual sync in iTunes.
Old 06/22/2009, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

But it is only pulling in MP3's...not songs you purchased on Itunes...Right?
I set up just a few play lists to sync (so I didn't overload the memory) and didn't get any of my itunes purchased songs....
bjschaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2009, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

i can't get a playlist from WMP to work either.
drewjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2009, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

I dragged/dropped a bunch of songs in and I have 3 playlists. If anyone knows the plylist dir I can tell you the file type.
the_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 08:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

According to the manual,
Quote:
You can play music that you copy from your computer or stream from the Web in the
following formats: MP3, AAC, or AAC+ format. For files received as email attachments, you
can play files in the MP3, AAC, AAC+, WAV, AMR, or QCLEP format
As far as the playlist go, I've been able to move all the playlist that I've made in iTune to my Pre and I've been able to add to them through iTunes. Additionally, I've been able to make new playlist for the Pre in iTunes and drop songs into the empty playlist.
Old 07/03/2009, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
I copied over my music and playlists (asx) from my Touch Pro to Palm Pre and the music app doesn't seem to be recognizing my asx playlists. I stored my music in \music and my playlist \playlist (self-created directory).

Which playlist file format does the Pre support? I couldn't find anything searching the forums and manual.
The Pre doesn't seem to support any playlist format except for iTunes. However, if you don't want the bulk and slowness of iTunes you might try DoubleTwist. It has a similar feature set and can automatically convert any videos you have to work on the Pre.

Sync, Play & Send to BlackBerry, PSP, iPod, iPhone with doubleTwist
nhavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 09:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by The_lane
I dragged/dropped a bunch of songs in and I have 3 playlists. If anyone knows the plylist dir I can tell you the file type.
I think it's going to take someone with a rooted device to discover this, because just like on the iPhone, you can't see the playlist directory by viewing the USB hard drive connection.
Old 07/03/2009, 12:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

I posted this in the apps thread but here's a workaround I found for WMP playlists:

I have all my music and playlists in windows media player and originally transferred them to my pre using mass storage mode. However, as others have noted, the playlists themselves do not transfer. I intially solved this by saving the WMP playlists as .m3u files. This got them to transfer but the m3 tag data got screwed up (the title of each song would be the actual file name, eg "03 Beat_It.mp3").

My solution was to use both WMP and Itunes with a program I forgot I used to use called musicbridge. Musicbridge syncs windows media player with itunes, including playlists. So I imported my music into itunes and with one button got correctly formatted playlists imported from WMP. The nice thing about this is that you don't really have to use itunes except to sync the pre since musicdock will import any playlist changes you make in WMP to itunes.

So a bit of a kludgy solution, but if you were having the annoyance I was, you may find it useful.
natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

I feel like, if I had wanted to make iTunes the center of my life, I would have bought an iPhone.

I kind of expect Apple will break the iTunes-Pre sync, anyway.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0