webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Youtube app has different rrsults
Youtube app has different rrsults

Old 06/10/2009, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

I seem to have a hard time finding content that I play on my desktop quite regularly. Does this have anything to do with a lot of videos being flash these days? I figured the youtube app would play the flash movies...
ScrapMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

The iPhone had this same issue. The mobile youtube servers don't always get the movies as quickly as the regular servers. Also, converting all the old videos to the mobile servers takes time too. The file format is not the same so they have to convert each video.
repseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I can't find a lot of videos that are old as well. Same problem on my Popcorn Hour. I suppose they just don't care to convert them all...
Old 06/10/2009, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

that's why I just use the browser to search youtube for what I want, then it opens into the youtube app.
thedarkharlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkharlequin View Post
that's why I just use the browser to search youtube for what I want, then it opens into the youtube app.
What the heck--that works? If that's the case, then it's not even a scenario of the videos being in the wrong format--it's simply a problem with the YouTube application pulling in the wrong results...perhaps a certain flag in the video header that keeps it from being listed on the device?

Either way, this has annoyed me on several products that pull in YouTube videos... The 'Official' YouTube application for HTC WM devices pulls the EXACT same results... For example, I can find a TON of "Lonely Island" videos (they do those spoof music videos for SNL,) on my desktop, but on both of my phones, I don't find JACK--except those retardulous "user-created" videos, where it's just the song with a static background..

I know it's off-topic, but I really dislike the people who put a static image with the song, but make the preview look like I'm about to see the video. I go through about 20 'fakes' before I find the official video. I assume it's little kids playing with iMovie or whatever.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0