Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It takes 1-2 seconds just to render the image from it's 'blurry' state to something that is useful. It makes the photo viewer totally useless in my opinion. No other phone I've used has done this. My HTC Touch started out very SLIGHTLY blurry, and sharpened up--but this looks like a 14.4K modem download, then pops into hi-res eventually.

Seems pretty bad to me, and I wonder if this is any kind of foreshadowing to capabilities of the Pre? Perhaps loading the image is too CPU/RAM intensive? I know the iPhone does this fine, which makes me think this is a bug.
    Hmmm... in spite of the delay I've really been enjoying the photo app. Already put quite a few great pics on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    it seems to be not an issue with me because these photos are magnificent. Best on any phone ive seen. My friends are impressed with the clearity of the photos.
    I think the iPhone caches the next image before it loads on the screen. Since the iPhone only runs one app at a time it has the resources to do this.

I wouldn't call the Photos app crap, but I do prefer how the iPhone photos app can tell if an image was taken in landscape, then rotates it accordingly.

Pre needs to support this 'cause it's annoying trying to look at landscape photos now.

-n8
    Quote Originally Posted by mecca View Post
    it seems to be not an issue with me because these photos are magnificent. Best on any phone ive seen. My friends are impressed with the clearity of the photos.
    Mecca, that must be what it is for me as well. Even with the brightness turned all the way down I'm still loving the screen and how good my pics look on my pre.
  6.    #6  
    That camera is okay, but that still doesn't explain the excessive delay between EACH image... the only time you don't have to wait is if you go back to a picture you already loaded--in the card-instance.

Even my HTC Touch could render faster than that. My Sanyo M1 took better images, and never struggled with flipping through hi-res images... This does have a higer-resolution screen, but it's also designed to be more fluid-like, and has a much, much, more capable hardware list.

I really hope they fix this. Not only is it a "hey that's kinda weird," thing when you show people your phone--it's just annoying when you are flipping through quickly.. you have to wait 2 second per image before you see the dang thing.

I like the camera, but it's nothing to get excited about.
    not for nothing, but the pre takes incredibly fast pics! I am happy so far with the cam.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Mecca, that must be what it is for me as well. Even with the brightness turned all the way down I'm still loving the screen and how good my pics look on my pre.
    I keep my brightness down all the way, out of necessity--or the battery would drain faster than 4 hours, like it does now. The screen is really amazing, except for the discoloration/splotches all over the bottom 1/8th of the surface.
  9. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,595 Global Posts
    I just wish it was less of a resource hog. I start getting "critical memory" issues after a few mins of browsing my pix.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    I just wish it was less of a resource hog. I start getting "critical memory" issues after a few mins of browsing my pix.
    How many pics are on your phone?
  11. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,595 Global Posts
    Hopefully Palm releases an update that'll improve "memory management" throughout all the apps.
  12. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,595 Global Posts
    How many pics are on your phone?
    I have about 600mb's worth of photos loaded on there.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    One thing I noticed. When I transferred (emailed) my pics from my former phone (blackberry), the pics look terrible on the Pre. Makes you wonder how bad the camera on the BB is.
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    ...but I do prefer how the iPhone photos app can tell if an image was taken in landscape, then rotates it accordingly.

Pre needs to support this 'cause it's annoying trying to look at landscape photos now.

-n8
    Not sure what's wrong with your Pre, mine automatically rotates photos taken in landscape mode. And notice the subtle icon rotation in the camera app when your rotate the phone... the accelerometer is so fast!
  15. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,595 Global Posts
    Well, the way I had transferred my pix to my Pre was drag & drop the folder. Maybe if I use iTunes to load them on there, do you think it'll automatically resize them smaller so it'll load faster on the Pre?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bzinestudios View Post
    Not sure what's wrong with your Pre, mine automatically rotates photos taken in landscape mode. And notice the subtle icon rotation in the camera app when your rotate the phone... the accelerometer is so fast!
    I think what he meant is that on the iPhone, it auto-zooms. If you hold it in portrait, and view a landscape image, it centers, and zooms until it fills the screen.

I would like that feature.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    The delay from blurry to sharp on my Pre is pretty minimal, and the quality of the displayed image has been impressive. A friend of mine bought me an iPod Touch as a birthday gift while I was in Iraq last month and I'm finally getting around to setting it up. I'll have to compare the two, but this is night and day superior to my Treo 650, and I didn't exactly pick the thing up to run around showing people photo albums.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG View Post
    The delay from blurry to sharp on my Pre is pretty minimal, and the quality of the displayed image has been impressive. A friend of mine bought me an iPod Touch as a birthday gift while I was in Iraq last month and I'm finally getting around to setting it up. I'll have to compare the two, but this is night and day superior to my Treo 650, and I didn't exactly pick the thing up to run around showing people photo albums.
    haha, of course it's better than the 650!! haha!

anyways, if you compared this to any modern phone--smartphone or not--you'd see it's really off-the-mark in terms of functionality...within the photo app that is.

The camera app works fine, but really does lack some basic options.
    I also find the delay between "blurry" and "in focus" to be a bit long. I was showing people pictures on my phone and almost felt embarrassed at how long it took to render.

But as far as the application itself, I think it's top notch. I like the way it separates the different categories of pictures (picture roll, wallpapers, downloads, screencaps, etc.)
    I kind of got used to the delay...And then I showed some pictures to friends. I was frustrating having to wait for each picture to come into "focus"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast