Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    On my Pre it takes about a second to render the image from blurry to normal. Is it longer than that for you guys?

I have the "Too Many Cards" tweak installed which has seem to help immensely with loading of things like the calendar and photo app.

If not and you guys are complaining about a 1 second delay then I don't know what to say...
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I have had the HTC touch, the HTC hero the samsung moment and the G1 and iPhone. The pre is incredibly fast at taking photos and only takes a sec to render the photo. I have never seen a HTC phone take better or faster pics then my pre. Only phone I would compare pre to is the iPhone when it comes to photos. I find it very fast to swipe between photos as well.
    I find mine work extremely well and is very fast. It beats my Htc touch by a mile and even my hero. I was very suprised at the speed the camera handled images actually.
  4.    #44  
    No one is arguing that the camera is fast, and quite good... I am talking about the photo management program, 'Photos.'

1-2 seconds for every single picture to render is pretty crappy. My HTC Touch, Diamond, and Pro ALL had instant-render. If I am trying to scroll through a few images, I shouldn't have to wait for the render to tell what's on it.

That's my beef. It should be a simple fix.
    no 'Thanks'
    Yes waiting 1 second for an image to render is too much for your son and his friend. Maybe ADD? Jezus some of these complaints are downright unacceptable.***

** This post is void if the poster is being sarcastic
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 11/10/2009 at 02:31 PM.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Yes waiting 1 second for an image to render is too much for your son and his friend. Maybe ADD? Jezus some of these complaints are downright unacceptable.***

** This post is void if the poster is being sarcastic
    Sorry, but mine most assuredly does not only take one second to render. It's between 2-3 seconds for each photo. I don't have that extra-card tweak installed though. Perhaps that would really speed it up. It seems to take almost 5 seconds when I first open the photo app. Then after about 20 seconds, I can get it down to 1.5-2 seconds per render.

I don't see this as an unreasonable complaint. My HTC Touch which was built in 2007 would render instantly. It would render my 12mp digicam files faster than the Pre loads it's native photos.

So far, everyone I have EVER shown my photos app to, and let them scroll through, ends up hating the experience and handing the phone back. Typically before they even get to the photo they wanted to see.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Sorry, but mine most assuredly does not only take one second to render. It's between 2-3 seconds for each photo. I don't have that extra-card tweak installed though. Perhaps that would really speed it up. It seems to take almost 5 seconds when I first open the photo app. Then after about 20 seconds, I can get it down to 1.5-2 seconds per render.

I don't see this as an unreasonable complaint. My HTC Touch which was built in 2007 would render instantly. It would render my 12mp digicam files faster than the Pre loads it's native photos.

So far, everyone I have EVER shown my photos app to, and let them scroll through, ends up hating the experience and handing the phone back. Typically before they even get to the photo they wanted to see.
    Works within the 1-2 second range for me, which is perfectly fine. My old HTC touch rendered them faster as well...Though the shots we took were such trash in anything besides a sunny day I had no use to look at them. I'll take the 1-2 seconds and the crystal clears shots...
    Last edited by bernaserra; 11/09/2009 at 02:54 PM.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by bernaserra View Post
    Works within the 1-2 second range for me, which is perfectly fine. My old HTC touch rendered them faster as well...Though the shots we such trash in anything besides a sunny day I had no use to look at them. I'll take the 1-2 seconds and the crystal clears shots...
    Oh the camera is DEFINITELY much better

Although the camera on my HTC Touch Pro was easily better than the Pre. Still not bad though. I really wish we had auto-focus, and perhaps more than zero options in the camera app
    no 'Thanks'
    I'm with you on this one ScrapMaker, the delay in the Photo application is utter pants. Like you, I don't even bother handing the phone to folks to scroll through -- if there's a picture I want someone to see, I'll pull it up myself (it usually takes about half a minute to open the app, wait for the albums load, select the proper album, tap the proper thumbnail, and wait for the photo render).

Honestly, Palm, just fix the OS lag and Photo app lag and we're in business. Once that's done, you can move on to the calendar...

Regards,
    Adam

PS - And what's taking Fictionwise so long to port eReader? Off-topic, I know, but still it's frustrating as hell not being able to bring my library along on my commute (and no, I'm not paying $30 for a buggy PalmOS emulator).
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
  10.    #50  
    I think some people are taking personal offense to this. It's a matter of fact that this is unreasonably-slow when compared to other phones, 'smart' or not. I hate iPhone comparisons, but this surely wouldn't fly on that phone.

There's really no excuse for it, and I hope they fix it. It is not a dealbreaker for me, but it would be nice regardless.
    no 'Thanks'
    I think some people are taking personal offense to this. It's a matter of fact that this is unreasonably-slow when compared to other phones, 'smart' or not. I hate iPhone comparisons, but this surely wouldn't fly on that phone.

There's really no excuse for it, and I hope they fix it. It is not a dealbreaker for me, but it would be nice regardless.
    I am not offended I just can't recreate that type of slowness. Is this more prevalent when you have over 100 pics?
    this is prevvalent with 10 photos doesn't matter how many it does it no matter what. Honestly I hate the lag. I love looking at pics on my zune HD.. you can just slide through images n they are crystal clear as they fly by where they were 12mp or 3mp it just works. I believe once they have the gpu working there won't be any blurry pics. Least I hope not...
    this is prevalent with 10 photos doesn't matter how many, it does it no matter what. Honestly I hate the lag. I love looking at pics on my zune HD.. you can just slide through images n they are crystal clear as they fly by. Whether they were 12mp or 3mp it just works. I believe once they have the gpu working there won't be any blurry pics. Least I hope not...
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    i love how you go to view pics and it lags 2 seconds to get to the next photo then a second 2 render it.
    speedy
    presonally with over 100 pics on the phone I have about a 1.5 sec render delay with no slider delay. I agree this could be faster and needs to be optmised.. But for a new os that is currently not using its gpu for anything I think its currently acceptable. Also given palm's recent hires I would personally not expect anything too great in 1.3 but maybe 1.3.5 or so... Maybe 4... Unless the gpu optimizations go faster than my guess... I'm hoping for improvements across the board when the gpu enters the picture.

just my 2 cents
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I can't even count to "one thousand one" before the pictures becomes sharp..and my app comes up within 2-3 seconds as well..

No lag whatsoever when swiping between pics. The move as fast as I swipe.

So I'm with those who don't seem to have a problem at all with the speed of the Photo app. But I only have about 50 pics on my Pre..so maybe that is why I am happy with how quick it is.
  17.    #57  
    I have about 600 images. My photo app takes about 8 seconds to start fully. Transition is anywhere between 2-4 seconds right now.

What sucks is I planned to copy ALL my pictures to the phone, so I could have a mobile photo gallery, like I used to do on my HTC Touch, and even my Sanyo M1 from 3 years ago.
    no 'Thanks'
    I have 243 images on my phone, and the only large waiting time is if I choose to view all. If I stay in the snapshot folder or wallpaper folder it is quick to load and the sharpening of each picture only takes about a second (I just tested it and I can't say one one thousand before it is done).

Then again I am also running the CPU scaling mod, so maybe that makes a difference? The loading time for me is not 'pants'. If I am in my wallpapers folder it takes about a half second to sharpen a picture that is in the pres resolution (480X320).

If the images are bigger than the pictures taken by the camera, why do you have them on the pre? The pre's screen is sharp but small enough that if you have a 2000X2000 pic it would seem that there would be another way to go about things.

It would seem resizing to the pres native res or just bigger would be the best if you plan on having a mobile photo gallery.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    If the images are bigger than the pictures taken by the camera, why do you have them on the pre? The pre's screen is sharp but small enough that if you have a 2000X2000 pic it would seem that there would be another way to go about things.

It would seem resizing to the pres native res or just bigger would be the best if you plan on having a mobile photo gallery.
    ...because you can zoom in?
    no 'Thanks'
    ...because you can zoom in?
    Exactly. More to the point, you don't need to scale your photos to the iPhone in order to have them render immediately. Clearly this is a GPU issue, and something that need to be sorted out sooner rather than later.

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast