06/09/2009, 01:27 AM
So I finally hooked my Pre up to iTunes today to load some tunes on, and on a whim I loaded a playlist of lossless music (film score stuff that I never use lossy compression on-- I keep them in Apple Lossless format). To my surprise and delight, these Apple lossless tracks PLAY on the Pre! This is a HUGE win to me-- I switched to Mac 3 years ago and since then have been sort of limited to the iPod as a music device. The combination of iTunes syncing AND Apple Lossless playback mean there's no headache for me to use the Pre as a music device-- no converting tracks just for the sake of this unit.
I wasn't expecting a lot from the music app, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how well thought out it seems to be, just as the rest of the phone is. I love it.
I also found that I can re-order a playlist by dragging the tracks around on the list. Awesome.
* gapless playback. This is something Apple added last year that makes a huge difference for me-- tracks that are meant to flow together play without a pause / skip / break. Right now the Pre doesn't appear to support gapless playback. It'd be awesome if it did.
* graphic equalizer. Even if it were up in the menu in the music app in settings, it'd be cool to be able to tweak the treble / bass, etc. Every now and then I feel like I'd like to bump up the treble a little.
* there's no scrubber for music tracks. I think the forward / reverse buttons work well enough, but some people might want this.
* I've heard others mention that there's no way to segregate podcasts from the rest of your tracks, and that you might accidently get a podcast mixed in with your music if you put your music library on shuffle. Not sure what could be done about that.
* universal search in music. I notice you can type to search within categories of artist, album, song, etc.. It'd be awesome if at the main / root screen of the music app if you could start typing and find all songs that have the text string in question-- sort of a quick way to start searching as soon as the app is open.
This app is fantastic. I expected it to be functional but did not expect it to be nearly as compelling as it is, nor the sound quality to be as satisfying as it is. I think now I would actually consider using the Palm Pre as my all in one convergence device, whereas I previously though I'd always have a separate music device to rely on.
Only drawback to this? I want a 32gb Pre Release one in a year, Palm, when I'm eligible for another upgrade. It was a little too easy to fill up the 7gb on this device with music...