Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    So I finally hooked my Pre up to iTunes today to load some tunes on, and on a whim I loaded a playlist of lossless music (film score stuff that I never use lossy compression on-- I keep them in Apple Lossless format). To my surprise and delight, these Apple lossless tracks PLAY on the Pre! This is a HUGE win to me-- I switched to Mac 3 years ago and since then have been sort of limited to the iPod as a music device. The combination of iTunes syncing AND Apple Lossless playback mean there's no headache for me to use the Pre as a music device-- no converting tracks just for the sake of this unit.

I wasn't expecting a lot from the music app, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how well thought out it seems to be, just as the rest of the phone is. I love it.

I also found that I can re-order a playlist by dragging the tracks around on the list. Awesome.

Suggestions:

* gapless playback. This is something Apple added last year that makes a huge difference for me-- tracks that are meant to flow together play without a pause / skip / break. Right now the Pre doesn't appear to support gapless playback. It'd be awesome if it did.

* graphic equalizer. Even if it were up in the menu in the music app in settings, it'd be cool to be able to tweak the treble / bass, etc. Every now and then I feel like I'd like to bump up the treble a little.

* there's no scrubber for music tracks. I think the forward / reverse buttons work well enough, but some people might want this.

* I've heard others mention that there's no way to segregate podcasts from the rest of your tracks, and that you might accidently get a podcast mixed in with your music if you put your music library on shuffle. Not sure what could be done about that.

* universal search in music. I notice you can type to search within categories of artist, album, song, etc.. It'd be awesome if at the main / root screen of the music app if you could start typing and find all songs that have the text string in question-- sort of a quick way to start searching as soon as the app is open.

This app is fantastic. I expected it to be functional but did not expect it to be nearly as compelling as it is, nor the sound quality to be as satisfying as it is. I think now I would actually consider using the Palm Pre as my all in one convergence device, whereas I previously though I'd always have a separate music device to rely on.

Only drawback to this? I want a 32gb Pre Release one in a year, Palm, when I'm eligible for another upgrade. It was a little too easy to fill up the 7gb on this device with music...
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I've seen two problems with the music so far:

1) The album covers show up in my pictures folder. annoying and gets in the way.

2) They default to how iTunes labels them, not windows explorer, which is how I label my music. Also really annoying.

Anyone else having the same issues?
    I don't have album art in my photos???

I just noticed you can add a photobucket account in the photo's app, I hope they add Flickr!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I personally love the fact that it will plac ALAC, but what's the point really when those types of files will only allow me to fit like 10 albums at the most. I've bought more than that just this year....
    I don't have my album art in my photos. I was also surprised at how well it handled the music. A word of caution however is to be careful when upgrading iTunes since Apple does have the ability to block the Pre from iTunes. The only issue I have is the limited 8GB space but what can we do...I don't really use podcasts but i suppose you can create a playlist just for podcasts that way you have some separation. I was surprised to see that not only can it sync music but it also syncs playlists. I always did DRM free music because I figured if one day I stopped using an iPod or iPhone I would be screwing myself out of my music.
    I immediately noticed the album art problem as well. You should be able to specify folder to ignore, which is a solution this as well as other problems. I never want to see images in my /music folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil1528 View Post
    I've seen two problems with the music so far:

1) The album covers show up in my pictures folder. annoying and gets in the way.

2) They default to how iTunes labels them, not windows explorer, which is how I label my music. Also really annoying.

Anyone else having the same issues?
    It sounds like the album pictures (.jpg files) are being copied over with the music. My music library has the album picture embedded in the file itself. So I don't have this problem.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Interesting. For those who have album art in their photos, are you on a Mac or PC, and what program are you using to associate album art with the music? I have no album art in my photos-- I'm using a Mac and iTunes 8.1 at least (maybe 8.2, don't remember if I installed that yet).

As for ALAC-- some types of music I keep lossless and I'd rather not have 2 copies. I can still have a few pretty good playlists of lossless music at any given moment (I use it for music that is less forgiving of lossy compression-- such as film scores.)
    Mine album art was from downloaded albums. I don't use iTunes. It shows up next to an album in the music player (feature). It shows up as albums in Photos (bug/misfeature). Most likely I will just delete it since I don't care, but this could be fixed easily.
    I don't have Album Art in my folder either. -iTunes 8.2 on OS X
    I don't have album art showing up in my Photos application (but my music is tagged with the album art and not using folder.jpg files.)

However, I do have a few other nitpicks about the Music app that I've tweeted to Palm about but I'll list them here as well.

1.) The volume control doesn't have enough fine control, especially an issue at the low end. The jump between 0 bars and 1 bar is too big a difference. I like to fall asleep with music in the background, and 1 bar is just too loud. The same thing is an issue when listening with my headphones- 1 bar is still too loud.

2.) It'd be nice for soundtracks and other albums if the "artist" section actually sorted by "Album Artist." This way, albums that are done by "Various Artists" will show up all together in one section, rather than having 13 different artists with one track each.

3.) The app really needs to ignore "A," "An," "The," and anything of that sort in band and album names when it's alphabetizing. "The Mars Volta" should be under M, for example. Just makes things easier to find.

And I do agree that it should have a way to search everything before you pick artist, album, whatever, as well.
    Remember guys. iTunes has used different ways in the past of doing album art. Theyve embedded the art into the music files themselves & also put the art in a seperate folder & had the file "point" to that folder for access. Mostly did that for speed reasons.
    Remember guys. iTunes has used different ways in the past of doing album art. Theyve embedded the art into the music files themselves & also put the art in a seperate folder & had the file "point" to that folder for access. Mostly did that for speed reasons.
    I've got album art on my podcasts. I synced with Winamp on Windows 7. No album art in the pics folder so it is embedded in the metadata for the file.
    The ability to create playlists should be added as well.
    I wish Palm would stop calling it Music App. Instead merge both the videos app and the Music App together into one app for Media. You had TCPMP on the Palm OS which could play about anything. They also had a built in equalizer on that too.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    3.)"The Mars Volta" should be under M, for example. Just makes things easier to find.
    I did a double take when I saw this, since I'm listening to The Mars Volta on my Pre right now. +rep for you

But yeah, my Walkman X does that too, and it's annoying. All albums starting with "The" are under T, and that doesn't look right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    I did a double take when I saw this, since I'm listening to The Mars Volta on my Pre right now. +rep for you

But yeah, my Walkman X does that too, and it's annoying. All albums starting with "The" are under T, and that doesn't look right.
    Actually, I've since modified my Pre Music app using the instructions here and it works great now, ignoring A, An, and The in artist and album names.

Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    I wish Palm would stop calling it Music App. Instead merge both the videos app and the Music App together into one app for Media. You had TCPMP on the Palm OS which could play about anything. They also had a built in equalizer on that too.
    I actually like it better separate myself. Don't get me wrong, in certain cases I'm a huge fan of integrated interfaces for everything- I use Windows Media Center at home to do this, for example, and I'd love an integrated Prefs app instead of all the icons how there is now- however, I don't think it would add to things in this case.

Mainly, it'd create extra taps to distinguish whether you want music or videos in the actual application. When I want to listen to music, I just type mus into Universal Search and then go directly from there. When I want videos, I type vid. Typing media and then having to drill down further doesn't make as much sense. Instead you choose directly from the initial search.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Windows XP using media monkey and all my album covers show up in the Pre's photos area, which is annoying. At one time I had 4 gigs of music on the thing and 6 or 7 hundred album covers!

John
    plays Apple lossless tracks PLAY on the Pre!... very inerising...