Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    remember TealOS?

"saved state" to a card is not true multitasking! webOS multitasks no better than Garnet does - in fact - less so!

if it was true multitasking, the cards would be truly active when minimized! not simply snapshots of the screen! same goes for bookmarks! for instance, why can't i watch Sprint TV in a minimized card and scroll through a word doc right next to it? answer - because only one true app is running at a time.

IMO the REAL reason that Palm put the kibosh on TealOS is because they didn't want their secret to get out - that this OS doesn't truly multitask - at least not the way they originally presented it at CES. it's all smoke and mirrors. saving multiple launchers as screenshots as saved states (by open-close-open) is not multitasking!!!!!!! hence the lag and delay switching through apps - yet they eat up resources regardless. SMOKE AND MIRRORS and the brilliant guys at Teal figured it out. Palm wasn't afraid of TealOS taking Pre sales - it was afraid of them exposing their secret.

thoughts?
    thats false, I own TealOS, I paid for it, and I own Pre, you can see whenever you goto an app in tealOS, the app will reload.

Pre is doing true multitasking, its easy to tell. all the open app still preserve everything (when memory allows) about their process, you can easily moving up, down, back, forward within that app's structure. If you can't tell what a snapshot looks like, I dont know what to discuss about.
    You're a fool. The cards DO remain active in the background. This has been demonstrated multiple times.

The TealOS is nothing but a launcher shell on top of P-OS. It's pretty, but it doesn't do anything the regular launcher doesn't do.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Actually, if you start to load up a page in the web browser, then immediately switch to another app, wait a few seconds and switch back, you'll see that the page has loaded. So yes, it does multitask.
  5. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,595 Global Posts
    I think the Pre would need double the processing power it has now in order to do what you described (watch Sprint tv while reading a Word doc.). We are already complaining about lack of battery life & it would just be worse.
    They always said that video would stop in the background in order to save battery, because who just listens to the sound of the video?

I know there's some music in SprintTV, but it's still played like it was a video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    remember TealOS?

"saved state" to a card is not true multitasking! webOS multitasks no better than Garnet does - in fact - less so!

if it was true multitasking, the cards would be truly active when minimized! not simply snapshots of the screen! same goes for bookmarks! for instance, why can't i watch Sprint TV in a minimized card and scroll through a word doc right next to it? answer - because only one true app is running at a time.

IMO the REAL reason that Palm put the kibosh on TealOS is because they didn't want their secret to get out - that this OS doesn't truly multitask - at least not the way they originally presented it at CES. it's all smoke and mirrors. saving multiple launchers as screenshots as saved states (by open-close-open) is not multitasking!!!!!!! hence the lag and delay switching through apps - yet they eat up resources regardless. SMOKE AND MIRRORS and the brilliant guys at Teal figured it out. Palm wasn't afraid of TealOS taking Pre sales - it was afraid of them exposing their secret.

thoughts?
    Too bad when you turn the Pre on its side, the cards turn too.... or when you scroll and then to to card view it keeps scrolling. And then there is background Pandora... lol

So yeah... kinda different
    remember TealOS?

thoughts?
    Maybe you wanna consider a brief vacation from the forums? Take a walk? Do some deep, cleansing breaths? Eat some ice cream?
    Gekko you just crossed over into a category that I'd never expect to see you go... it's a shame.

Ah well... weirder things have happened.
    Hmmm.... From what I remember this is how Gekko operated on Palminfocenter.com as well. Looks like he's entered into bash mode again.

Dude never answered the question there either but, you know, if you don't like Palm devices go to a forum that discusses something you DO like. Right?
    wow, so much anger... I've yet to hear anyone complain about the multi-tasking... good job
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    It's like watching an ugly divorce. Too bad the marriage didn't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You're a fool. The cards DO remain active in the background. This has been demonstrated multiple times.
    +1
  14.    #14  
    i was out away from forums all day - yet i'm still sour!!!!!!!!

my point was the experience doesn't FEEL like it multitasks. it's one step up from Garnet with TealOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Gekko you just crossed over into a category that I'd never expect to see you go... it's a shame.

Ah well... weirder things have happened.
    Dude, Gekko's a well known Palm basher. Back in the days when Palm released the Tungsten T|3 (which I happily purchased). Gekko was evangelizing WinCE to death on the palminfocenter.com forums. Personally, I don't think the dude is happy unless he's raining on people parade.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Hmmm.... From what I remember this is how Gekko operated on Palminfocenter.com as well. Looks like he's entered into bash mode again.

Dude never answered the question there either but, you know, if you don't like Palm devices go to a forum that discusses something you DO like. Right?
    sorry fanboy, i have no reason to bash - just giving my opinion. ive used palmos for 10+ years exclusively.
    After using the Pre for a while I can see how some of the behavior would led you to believe that it is not multitasking but like other people have said it's just trying to save battery power by doing these things. Play with it some more and you'll see
    I had heard about teal OS but I never thought it would be so smooth on a centro. Nowhere as nice as a Pre , but for a crappy centro that looks damn nice.
    sorry fanboy, i have no reason to bash - just giving my opinion. ive used palmos for 10+ years exclusively.
    Oh gosh I'm hurt!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    Too bad when you turn the Pre on its side, the cards turn too.... or when you scroll and then to to card view it keeps scrolling. And then there is background Pandora... lol

So yeah... kinda different

1. cards turning and scrolling is a gimmick and means nothing to user experience. allpart of smoke and mirrors.
    2. pockettunes plays in the background too on garnet.

stop bashing me and think about what im saying webos vs. garnet.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast