Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    while u cant work in 2 cards simultaneously, ur brain wouldnt allow u to either. can u really watch tv, and read a doc at the same time. also, pandora will play music while u do anything else, so it stays running. guess it depends on the app. its not just a screen shot either, its saving the state and allowing you to seamlessly return to it.

sure it's not a PC, but this is the best implementation of a phone OS to date. u got something better we dont know about?
    Using applications like Cal, Email, Messaging don't mean anything for multi taskin. There all static. You start the load of a webpage and then change cards. The screenshot is taken in the background as a temp picture of the application. But if you go back to that application the webpage is done loading.

Seriously thoe, who cares even so. Im running multiple applications at once, without having to close them. If its taken a "STATE" of the application and just reloading that. Whatever, still keeping it open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    stop bashing me and think about what im saying webos vs. garnet.
    Actually, here's what you said:

"saved state" to a card is not true multitasking! webOS multitasks no better than Garnet does - in fact - less so!

if it was true multitasking, the cards would be truly active when minimized! not simply snapshots of the screen! same goes for bookmarks! for instance, why can't i watch Sprint TV in a minimized card and scroll through a word doc right next to it? answer - because only one true app is running at a time
    So it's obvious you're either wrong, really wrong, completely wrong or misinformed. The Pre has true multitasking. The processes continue to run in the background, even if you don't directly interact with them. Sure, maybe they save some CPU cycles and snapshot the window image, but that doesn't make it multitasking any less. Otherwise, the individual "cards" would suspend operation completely and not continue to run in the background.

Just because you don't interact with multiple cards simultaneously (you can't directly interact with mutliple windows of Windows or OSX or Linux or.... at the same time either --- only one always has focus), doesn't make it any less of a multitasking operating system.

Further, keep in mind that WebOS is based on Linux which is a multitasking OS at the very core. Do you really think they stripped that out?
    Ummm, if you notice, the only CARDS that go inactive are ones playing video.. If you want to see, launch a web page and then while it's loading, launch another card.. That card will continue and finish loading while minimized.. Same with all cards except video player and Sprint TV, so far that I've noticed, and I believe I've run every program on the phone.. It will even start and finish the UPDATES card while minimized...
    Quote Originally Posted by lldsandsll View Post
    while u cant work in 2 cards simultaneously, ur brain wouldnt allow u to either. can u really watch tv, and read a doc at the same time.
    yes, yes I can.

I can also walk and chew gum, and hold a conversation at the same time. I can dial a phone while driving and talking to someone all at once. Sure its not active memory, some of these are patterns that I don't actively think about as i do them, but I can take all that input, filter through it, and make decisions in each area simultaniously.

The human brain is great at processing integrating and reacting to multiple inputs at once. sure we cant actively calculate several equations, in our conscious mind, but we do blow through millions of complex calculations every constantly.

so yea, I think I could handle it if my phone did simultaneous email and video.

I'm sorry that probably comes off as pretty obnoxious for a first post, really I don't mean to be snide, just saying if people can drive (very badly) while texting, watching a video while texting instead would be possible, and less dangerous. besides, its not like TV is all that intellecually challenging most of the time anyway.
  6. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    when i was in mid-email set up, i got a text and then i clicked the notifier and opened the text message, and instantly cursed myself, because i just screwed up my email set up.

boy, was i pleased with the fact that my email set up was waiting in another card, not screwed up at all.

these are the type of multi-tasks that are really important to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    yes, yes I can.

I can also walk and chew gum, and hold a conversation at the same time. I can dial a phone while driving and talking to someone all at once. Sure its not active memory, some of these are patterns that I don't actively think about as i do them, but I can take all that input, filter through it, and make decisions in each area simultaniously.

The human brain is great at processing integrating and reacting to multiple inputs at once. sure we cant actively calculate several equations, in our conscious mind, but we do blow through millions of complex calculations every constantly.

I'm sorry that probably comes off as pretty obnoxious for a first post, really I don't mean to be snide, just saying if people can drive (very badly) while texting, watching a video while texting instead would be possible, and less dangerous. besides, its not like TV is all that intellecually challenging most of the time anyway.
    i used to do my homework growing up with the TV on, couldnt get it done without it.

at any rate, the pre will run multiple apps actively. pandora stays on while u text and do other crap, and it even pauses all on its own when u get a call!!! im sure the OP knew that already...
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    I am going to feed the troll for a minute and agree with him to a certain point. ( Ducks down) Let me get this out of the way first I love the palm pre and wouldn't trade this phone for the world! When your apps are in card mode they are not truely live and updating.( hopefully we all can agree on this) I noticed this when I had opened up a web page if close it into card mode and go and do something else like say bring up contacts the web page is not loading up in card mode. ( That we all can agree on too correct?) I am not sure if other apps are live and updating but for sure web pages do not load up in card mode. So what he is saying does have some truth. I think what he really wanted to say was that cards are not live and updating but just open and static and become alive again once the program is brought to the front. Maybe I am wrong but who knows. If I am someone please let me know. I would live it if web pages loaded while in card mode.
    In computer science, several process management paradigms fall under the definition of "Multitasking". Several points are common in these definitions:

- On a single core cpu multitasking presents the illusion that multiple programs are running simultaneously.
    - Running programs don't need to be aware that other programs are running.
    - Running programs have no access to the data of other programs unless those programs have specifically arranged to acces each other's data.

[[These bullets are taken from the book, 'Computer Architecture' by Nicholas Butler]]

What differentiates multitasking from something like TealOS is that in TealOS there is no illusion or even claim that apps are running simltaneously. Images of the last screen are saved and manipulated on screen to provide some of the experience of WebOS. However, in WebOS many of the apps continue to update when in card view. Further, if an app is running (doing some updating to its state, then put into card view, and restored to full screen some time later, WebOS apps do not typically just pick up where they left off when first put into card view. Many of the apps have done quite a bit of processing while in card view. However, WebOS does provide notifications to apps to let them know they have gone into card view or gone full screen. In some cases the app developer has written code to halt the execution of the app or just stopped updating the screen. In either of these case, the application still resides in pirmary memory, still has an active state, still consumes CPU cycles (even a blocked/sleeping app consumes cycles while the OS looks at the app to see if it should share out to it some processing time). Hence by all classic computer science meaning, the app is still running.

Palm would not be able to make the claim of multitasking (without risking litigation) if WebOS didn't conform to these definitions. Your claims in the quote above are not valid. Web pages do load in card view, screens do update in card view. Howeve the API includes nitifications to apps which alert apps they have gone into card view. The app can then stop updating the screen, this saves battery, however just because an app is not updating the screen doesn't mean that it's not running. Several apps still continue to update the screen even in card view, e.g. messaging (in card view the cursor still flashes), App Catalog (if you initiate a download then go to cardview, the progress bar continues to update), and there are many more examples.

Hence, anyone who tries to back up the claim that WebOS does not multitask would be hard pressed to do so. They are the ones with the burden of proof.

Besides all that, WebOS runs on Linux. The Linux core is multitasking. It's not possible to strip the multitasking from the core. Palm would have had to write a drop-in replacement for that core. It would be much easier to write their own OS from the ground up rather than trying to make a single processing core be a drop-in-replacement for the existing Linux OS core.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 06/15/2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    In computer science, several process management paradigms fall under the definition of "Multitasking". Several points are common in these definitions:

- On a single core cpu multitasking presents the illusion that multiple programs are running simultaneously.
    - Running programs don't need to be aware that other programs are running.
    - Running programs have no access to the data of other programs unless those programs have specifically arranged to acces each other's data.

[[These bullets are taken from the book, 'Computer Architecture' by Nicholas Butler]]

What differentiates multitasking from something like TealOS is that in TealOS there is no illusion or even claim that apps are running simltaneously. Images of the last screen are saved and manipulated on screen to provide some of the experience of WebOS. However, in WebOS many of the apps continue to update when in card view. Further, if an app is running (doing some updating to its state, then put into card view, and restored to full screen some time later, WebOS apps do not typically just pick up where they left off when first put into card view. Many of the apps have done quite a bit of processing while in card view. However, WebOS does provide notifications to apps to let them know they have gone into card view or gone full screen. In some cases the app developer has written code to halt the execution of the app or just stopped updating the screen. In either of these case, the application still resides in pirmary memory, still has an active state, still consumes CPU cycles (even a blocked/sleeping app consumes cycles while the OS looks at the app to see if it should share out to it some processing time). Hence by all classic computer science meaning, the app is still running.

Palm would not be able to make the claim of multitasking (without risking litigation) if WebOS didn't conform to these definitions. Your claims in the quote above are not valid. Web pages do load in card view, screens do update in card view. Howeve the API includes nitifications to apps which alert apps they have gone into card view. The app can then stop updating the screen, this saves battery, however just because an app is not updating the screen doesn't mean that it's not running. Several apps still continue to update the screen even in card view, e.g. messaging (in card view the cursor still flashes), App Catalog (if you initiate a download then go to cardview, the progress bar continues to update), and there are many more examples.

Hence, anyone who tries to back up the claim that WebOS does not multitask would be hard pressed to do so. They are the ones with the burden of proof.

Besides all that, WebOS runs on Linux. The Linux core is multitasking. It's not possible to strip the multitasking from the core. Palm would have had to write a drop-in replacement for that core. It would be much easier to write their own OS from the ground up rather than trying to make a single processing core be a drop-in-replacement for the existing Linux OS core.
    The best response in this whole thread.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    The best response in this whole thread.
    so can an admin rename the thread now?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Thread fail. WebOS is a Linux variant. Linux multitasks better than any other OS in existence, pretty much.

OP needs some rudimentary computer science schooling.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Thread fail. WebOS is a Linux variant. Linux multitasks better than any other OS in existence, pretty much.

OP needs some rudimentary computer science schooling.
    OP fail. He's been banned finally.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. cards turning and scrolling is a gimmick and means nothing to user experience. allpart of smoke and mirrors.
    2. pockettunes plays in the background too on garnet.

stop bashing me and think about what im saying webos vs. garnet.

Web OS vs. Garnet? Thats not even a comparison. I understand if you dont like something but there is no reason to go all Iphuck on everything and tell everyone how terrible the Pre is. I obviously dont want to pull the shades ove the eyes of prospective users but come on! This OS is smoothe as silk, sharp to look at and does everything we have wanted with multi-tasking.

Seriously, go flame Giz or engadget like all the other Iphans.

Garnet was out dated and needed to be changed. Many people still use Windows 98. That doesnt make it better, its all about PREFERENCE!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    yes, yes I can.

I would love to see that. Read a book durring a movie and do an in depth review of both. Somthing will be missing. We are human. we can multi task but rarely multi focus.
    one example is on the GPS I can see the gps still giving me direction while minimize on a card also you can hear the direccions.
    The guy who started this thread is banned. Not sure if it was this thread or not, but Im still trying to figure out which WebOS he was using? Maybe he was using an iPhone with a WebOS theme....geesh no wonder you couldn't really multitask. LoL.
    Is there anyway to get TealOS? i would love to try it on my Centro
    Either way, I don't care about syntax. It does what I want it to do. Good enough for me.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234