Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm guessing there is some confusion here because when you develop an app, you can develop it to have different behavior when running in the background (this according to a Palm webinar on devloping apps for webos).

So, some apps may go semi-dormant when in the background (like video playing...with good reason obviously).
    I'll give you an answer. Anyone who's music library is strictly music videos.[/quote]

Wow, isn't that a bit of a waste of space on an 8GB portable device?

Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    They should still make "play video when minimized" an option.
    I'm in full agreement with you here, but I think that there's other customizations that should be much higher priorities than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Wow, isn't that a bit of a waste of space on an 8GB portable device?

Not when my average music video is around 14MB (as compared to an MP3 that is 4-6MB).

Maybe it's a waste of space, but not as much as you think and I much prefer the videos. I am a music video DJ anyways so this is what I have. Yeah I could convert my library to MP3 files, but I don't want to do this. I'd like to see Palm fix this or somebody like Coreplayer come out with an app that can play video while minimized.
    Sigh. If its all snapshot. How come when I open a webpage. Go away to another app. Then go back to my webpage, all the element on the page is instantly clickable?

Memory will limit some aspect in some cases, but there is no dispute that webos is truly doing multitasking.

If you only have a problem with your feeling, that's not a good reason to redefine commonly known terms.

You want to say multitasking is useless? Fine
    You want to say webos's multitasking isn't perfect? Fine

Just don't start redefininh what multitasking is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    remember TealOS?

"saved state" to a card is not true multitasking! webOS multitasks no better than Garnet does - in fact - less so!

if it was true multitasking, the cards would be truly active when minimized! not simply snapshots of the screen! same goes for bookmarks! for instance, why can't i watch Sprint TV in a minimized card and scroll through a word doc right next to it? answer - because only one true app is running at a time.

IMO the REAL reason that Palm put the kibosh on TealOS is because they didn't want their secret to get out - that this OS doesn't truly multitask - at least not the way they originally presented it at CES. it's all smoke and mirrors. saving multiple launchers as screenshots as saved states (by open-close-open) is not multitasking!!!!!!! hence the lag and delay switching through apps - yet they eat up resources regardless. SMOKE AND MIRRORS and the brilliant guys at Teal figured it out. Palm wasn't afraid of TealOS taking Pre sales - it was afraid of them exposing their secret.

thoughts?

Wow that's news to me. I used the gps in my car while listening to pandora. When The GPS had something to say it gentley lowered the volume of Pandora ( not all the way - just enough so I could hear the directions and still hear lil wayne playing through my speakers) and when it was done speaking lifted Pandora's volume back up.

That, sir, is multi tasking - the way normal people would use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Thanks for the vote of support, but I don't think Gekko is trolling. He has been a productive member of this community for a while, and I think he is genuinely confused. I suspect he's also trying to further rationalize his decision to dump his Pre, though his original reasons were all he needed.
    Well let him dump it. Why can't he just shut up and get rid of his Pre already without raining on everyone else's experience? How is that productive???
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Criticism and pointing out the issues of the Pre isn't a bad thing and generally doesn't get a pile on. Making outrageous statements like implying that the WebOS multitasking really isn't much different than TealOS and they bought it to keep their "secret" from getting out will.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    That is odd.. I can listen to music or pandora while surfing the web.. I would consider that multitasking.
    I'll give Gekko the point on how WebOS is a tad laggy depending on what you're running. But in my mind, it is multi-tasking to the word. I can surf the web, get IMs instantly and listen to pandora and even take a picture all at the same time! That's multi-tasking in my book. I'd kill for some multi-core goodness though but the battery life would just SUCK at that point more than it does!
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalo View Post
    Actually, if you start to load up a page in the web browser, then immediately switch to another app, wait a few seconds and switch back, you'll see that the page has loaded. So yes, it does multitask.
    Another example is downloading an app from the app catalog. I tapped a bookmark, flipped to the app catalog and started an app download, and did this in the middle of an AIM conversation.

When I was in card view I could see the page load and that the app finished the download, and I could see conversation messages coming in even when that card was not directly in view.

Gekko is kind of a moron if he's saying this stuff without having used the Pre.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    perhaps youre correct - i didn't download C4, Twitter etc. i just know Contacts-->Calendar--->Mail-----SMS etc. sure felt like a lot of OPEN-LAG-CLOSE-LAG-OPEN-LAG-CLOSE-LAG. lots of lag which gave me the USER EXPERIENCE impression that it's smoke and mirrors - and that was my point.
    Then take your Pre back, it's not working right.

That or you're really just that bad with electronics. Thankfully because I've seen your posts on PIC I know that you're just kind of a ****** who needs to stfu.

Welcome to block, hasta la vista baby! You can troll here all you want.
    I am going to feed the troll for a minute and agree with him to a certain point. ( Ducks down) Let me get this out of the way first I love the palm pre and wouldn't trade this phone for the world! When your apps are in card mode they are not truely live and updating.( hopefully we all can agree on this) I noticed this when I had opened up a web page if close it into card mode and go and do something else like say bring up contacts the web page is not loading up in card mode. ( That we all can agree on too correct?) I am not sure if other apps are live and updating but for sure web pages do not load up in card mode. So what he is saying does have some truth. I think what he really wanted to say was that cards are not live and updating but just open and static and become alive again once the program is brought to the front. Maybe I am wrong but who knows. If I am someone please let me know. I would live it if web pages loaded while in card mode.
    Let me actually clarify something after reading through all the post here. I can see some apps load and play at the same time. Sorry my fault. I haven't really used my pre to the fullest extent yet. lol

I just wish then sprint would have made the pre able to download data and voice at the same time. So you could still have AIM up while on the phone or download a webpage while on the phone also. Just talking out loud now.

Still I love my Pre!
    remember TealOS?

"saved state" to a card is not true multitasking! webOS multitasks no better than Garnet does - in fact - less so!

if it was true multitasking, the cards would be truly active when minimized! not simply snapshots of the screen! same goes for bookmarks! for instance, why can't i watch Sprint TV in a minimized card and scroll through a word doc right next to it? answer - because only one true app is running at a time.

IMO the REAL reason that Palm put the kibosh on TealOS is because they didn't want their secret to get out - that this OS doesn't truly multitask - at least not the way they originally presented it at CES. it's all smoke and mirrors. saving multiple launchers as screenshots as saved states (by open-close-open) is not multitasking!!!!!!! hence the lag and delay switching through apps - yet they eat up resources regardless. SMOKE AND MIRRORS and the brilliant guys at Teal figured it out. Palm wasn't afraid of TealOS taking Pre sales - it was afraid of them exposing their secret.

thoughts?
    Wont go into details but Sprint TV got restriction for not working in background. Its not Pre limitation for its multitasking, its Sprint issue. Same goes for Sprint Radio as well. Try Pandora and see if it runs in background. All web pages are live as well unless Pre run out of memory or close to running out of it and stop updating and clear web page memory. But again I dont think its technical issue that you want to talk about. If that was the case all people who hacked the WebOS would be talking about how Palm fooled all of us with their "SMOKE & MIRRORS" before you. Just accept it that Palm Pre and new WebOS is not for you. Say good bye. Buy blackberry or Iphone and be happy. If you dont know there are other forums, even some run by treocentral/Precentral folks for other OS.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Gekko loves to say smoke and mirrors......i dont think i could ever use this term ever again. My webpages load up while i am searching for more songs on pandora and while i text.....TC = FAIL!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    I am going to feed the troll for a minute and agree with him to a certain point. ( Ducks down) Let me get this out of the way first I love the palm pre and wouldn't trade this phone for the world! When your apps are in card mode they are not truely live and updating.( hopefully we all can agree on this) I noticed this when I had opened up a web page if close it into card mode and go and do something else like say bring up contacts the web page is not loading up in card mode. ( That we all can agree on too correct?) I am not sure if other apps are live and updating but for sure web pages do not load up in card mode. So what he is saying does have some truth. I think what he really wanted to say was that cards are not live and updating but just open and static and become alive again once the program is brought to the front. Maybe I am wrong but who knows. If I am someone please let me know. I would live it if web pages loaded while in card mode.
    Actually web pages do load in card view. It's just that for some reason, the card does not reflect that the page is loading. If you type in a page, switch to card view, and come back after a short while, you'll find the page has fully loaded.
    @BlaqkAudio. I will give it a try later. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough for it to load.
    I know there is so much more this phone is capable of and I can't wait to see all the features and apps poeple will think of.
    i was out away from forums all day - yet i'm still sour!!!!!!!!

my point was the experience doesn't FEEL like it multitasks. it's one step up from Garnet with TealOS
    Your thread title says "smoke in mirrors" in it which obviously insinuates that their using a GUI to simulate multitasking rather than actually doing so in the background.

This is not the case since it's been demonstrated several times that the device can and will store running applications in either memory or a swap file.
    Nothing more entertaining than an ***** with an agenda~~~

Thanks for the fun~
    I think you don't understand the term "multitasking" at all...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast