Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    remember TealOS?
    thoughts?
    Ridiculous?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    No. You being bitter because you got hyped for the phone, apparently ignored the news on this site leading up to it from the list of things you complained about, and then having a hissy fit and going back to your old phone does not = not true multitasking. As already explained by everyone else in this thread...yes, it does actually multitask and yes, it IS much more than just a "step up" from TealOS's launcher.
    Actually, you may not be entirely aware of this, but multiprocessing on any single-core single cpu computer is always smoke and mirrors. On such platforms, applications NEVER run concurrently, rather the OS rapidly switches between applications giving each of them a little bit of time with the processor. The switching happens so quickly it creates the illusion of multiprocessing.
  4.    #24  
    sure felt like open-close-open just like PalmOS. sure didn't feel like true multitasking. open-close-open.
    1. cards turning and scrolling is a gimmick and means nothing to user experience. allpart of smoke and mirrors.
    2. pockettunes plays in the background too on garnet.

stop bashing me and think about what im saying webos vs. garnet.
    Think about what others are saying. Pages load in the background so that they're finished when you go back to them. Twitter updates on its own. In Connect 4, the other person can make their move while it's in the background. I could give a million examples of it working, where your only example is that in SprintTV (which I already explained why it stops) there's no background video playing (or in the video player, for that matter).
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Dude, Gekko's a well known Palm basher. Back in the days when Palm released the Tungsten T|3 (which I happily purchased). Gekko was evangelizing WinCE to death on the palminfocenter.com forums. Personally, I don't think the dude is happy unless he's raining on people parade.
    III, IIIx, V, T, T3, T5, 600, 650, 700, Centro
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Think about what others are saying. Pages load in the background so that they're finished when you go back to them. Twitter updates on its own. In Connect 4, the other person can make their move while it's in the background. I could give a million examples of it working, where your only example is that in SprintTV (which I already explained why it stops) there's no background video playing (or in the video player, for that matter).
    perhaps youre correct - i didn't download C4, Twitter etc. i just know Contacts-->Calendar--->Mail-----SMS etc. sure felt like a lot of OPEN-LAG-CLOSE-LAG-OPEN-LAG-CLOSE-LAG. lots of lag which gave me the USER EXPERIENCE impression that it's smoke and mirrors - and that was my point.
    Okay, so you're saying it's smoke and mirrors just because of the way you personally use it?

I'm really trying to understand what you're getting at here.
    I just opened up Mail, Calendar, Browser, Camera, and Google Maps and switching between apps was quick and almost seamless both through switching through card view and advanced gesture switching
    Our lists of former palm devices are eerily similar accept I go back to the visor/handspring days......
    Pre sure seems like real multitasking to me.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    remember TealOS?

"saved state" to a card is not true multitasking! webOS multitasks no better than Garnet does - in fact - less so!

if it was true multitasking, the cards would be truly active when minimized! not simply snapshots of the screen! same goes for bookmarks! for instance, why can't i watch Sprint TV in a minimized card and scroll through a word doc right next to it? answer - because only one true app is running at a time.

IMO the REAL reason that Palm put the kibosh on TealOS is because they didn't want their secret to get out - that this OS doesn't truly multitask - at least not the way they originally presented it at CES. it's all smoke and mirrors. saving multiple launchers as screenshots as saved states (by open-close-open) is not multitasking!!!!!!! hence the lag and delay switching through apps - yet they eat up resources regardless. SMOKE AND MIRRORS and the brilliant guys at Teal figured it out. Palm wasn't afraid of TealOS taking Pre sales - it was afraid of them exposing their secret.

thoughts?
    this post = fail
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Two things.

1)The mulitasking you are seeking is what netbooks are for. Lets not forget the Pre is still a PHONE.
    2)Who would want to watch a video on a 1.55 inch screen and also how hard would read a document on the other 1.55 inches of the screen you had left? I mean if you split the screen in half for your proposed multitasking that would just be retarded.
    perhaps youre correct - i didn't download C4, Twitter etc. i just know Contacts-->Calendar--->Mail-----SMS etc. sure felt like a lot of OPEN-LAG-CLOSE-LAG-OPEN-LAG-CLOSE-LAG. lots of lag which gave me the USER EXPERIENCE impression that it's smoke and mirrors - and that was my point.
    Why are you closing the app? Do you close your browser on your computer when you open your e-mail client?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Do you realize how ignorant you sound? It doesn't "feel" like multitasking ... Wow. Does it smell or taste like it?

BTW - just because you have used Palm for years doesn't mean that you have the slightest clue what you are talking about. Clearly you don't understand the underpinnings of OS or processor implementation.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Why are you closing the app? Do you close your browser on your computer when you open your e-mail client?
    Exactly. Why doesn't Gekko just leave the apps open. Of course if you're opening and closing them again you're not allowing the pre to multitask in the first place.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The solution to this riddle is in how "multi-tasking" applications are written.

First, OS threads are what implement "multi-tasking." These threads are analogous to discussion forum threads; forum threads were probably named after them. Each thread is like a separately running program in the computer.

The OS time-shares the threads, as ronlongo explained. Threads never run concurrently on a single processor. Instead, the OS allows each thread to run for a while before interrupting it to allow another thread to run for a while. In this way it round-robins through all the running threads.

An app consists of one or more running threads. For example, a web browser might "simultaneously" load two web pages in two windows using two threads, and that same browser might use a third thread to allow you to work the menus while the two pages are loading.

But this system by itself makes horrible use of CPU clock cycles. Most apps sit doing nothing until the user asks it to do something. If every app were to sit in a tight loop endlessly asking "Any thing for me yet?" the computer would slow to a crawl with only a few apps open. The system would slow roughly in proportion to the number of threads opened (and number of apps opened).

So what threads do instead is issue blocking calls to the OS. For example, the web browser thread that's servicing menus would call an operating system function that means, "Wake me up when I get a user interface event." The thread goes to sleep and is taken out of the round-robin queue. Later, an OS thread that watches the mouse might detect that the web browser's menubar has been clicked. It will then wake up the browser thread and provide the details of the event that caused the wake-up -- in this case, the menubar click. The browser thread returns to the round-robin queue to service the click, perhaps by dropping down a menu, and then goes to sleep waiting for the user to click again.

The point here is that threads -- and hence apps -- can go to sleep. They go to sleep when they aren't busy or aren't being used. They go to sleep when they choose to go to sleep, and they can go to sleep for any reason the programmer wants. In the case of Pre apps, programmers are likely to put threads asleep when they are put in the background, if there's no use for them to be awake while in the background. Otherwise they'd be hogging resources on the round-robin queue and slowing your phone down.

In particular, it would be stupid for a programmer to allow Sprint TV to run in the background -- if it's in the background, you're not watching it. Instead, upon receiving the message "You're being backgrounded," this app would suspend service, probably just leaving the last image on the screen. To do this, the app thread issues a call to the OS saying, "Wake me up when I'm brought into the foreground again."

So you are perceiving correctly that apps are sometimes being suspended when backgrounded. If every backgrounded app were to continue running in the same way that it does in the foreground, the Pre would be made unusable in a hurry, and Apple's claim that "multi-tasking" necessarily kills the battery would be true. Only poorly written multi-tasking programs kill the battery, or apps that continue chugging when backgrounded.

But this all brings up another point. Both Mac OS and Linux are multi-threaded and hence also multi-tasking; the iPhone and the Pre are both multi-tasking phones. A single app in the iPhone can use multiple threads; many of the built-in apps clearly do. The difference is that the iPhone OS only issues termination requests to third-party apps, while the Pre can issue both background and termination requests. So technically, both are multi-tasking, but only the Pre supports application backgrounding.

Clear as mud?
    Last edited by jtlapp; 06/09/2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: grammar fixes & clarifying tweaks
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    jtlapp is right on.

As for Gekko...

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_trolling
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    jtlapp is right on.

As for Gekko...
    Thanks for the vote of support, but I don't think Gekko is trolling. He has been a productive member of this community for a while, and I think he is genuinely confused. I suspect he's also trying to further rationalize his decision to dump his Pre, though his original reasons were all he needed.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    He's not genuinely confused. The moment Gekko decided the phone wasn't for him he put a troll hat on. This entire multitasking discussion is a facade which if you break down the thread and just read his posts you see his continual back peddling from starting off saying its essentially the same thing as teal OS, to saying its one step above, to now saying it "doesn't FEEL like multitasking".

What it "doesn't feel like" is Gekko doesn't like the phone so naturally its time to complain about every single part of it. EVERYONE else has actually given him legitimate, factual, information. From ACTUAL examples of it multitasking (connect four continuing, websites loading, lists scrolling), to the fact about single cores and multitasking, to the fact TealOS's apps when you went back started over and WebOS's don't, and on and on.

All he throws back are emotional plee's akin to a kid throwing a temper tantrum. "Smoke screen" and "feel" because he's flat out wrong about the Pre and multitasking and knows he's flat out wrong so is now trying to wiggle out of it with BS things that are improvable.

Fine, it doesn't "feel" like multitasking to Gekko. Good for you. Its no surprise. You decided you dislike the phone so you're going to go after eveything. Why in the world should anyone care what you "FEEL" like when the fact is it DOES multitask, its NOT just smoke and mirrors, and the vast majority of us "feel" like it is multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They always said that video would stop in the background in order to save battery, because who just listens to the sound of the video?

I'll give you an answer. Anyone who's music library is strictly music videos.

I don't have any MP3s in my library, only MP4 music videos. I was hoping (and expecting) that if I launched a video in the player, it would continue playing while I was checking email. I know the iPhone doesn't do this, but I was expecting the Pre to do it. So far I am finding out this is not possible and I am quite dissapointed.

I am able to watch a video in Coreplayer on my Treo800w and minimize it and check email and the video is still playing (with sound) in the background.

For the Pre to not be able to do this, I have to agree with the OP that the "multitasking" option of the pre really isn't true multitasking if things like video shut down when you minimize.

I don't care about battery life as I am fully aware how multitasking taxes the battery. They should still make "play video when minimized" an option.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast