webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > What do you love and hate about the pre?
What do you love and hate about the pre?

Old 06/07/2009, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

As a longtime iPhone user, here's my take on my pre:

Pros:
Nice and compact. Has a great feel.

MMS? What's that? It's nice to have that feature after 2 years.

Gorgeous screen

Really diggin the whole "cards" concept.

The "gesture" area under the screen is actually quite useful.

Extremely fast browser. The Pre beats my iPhone 3g on cellular and wifi speed tests. It's also faster in rendering and screen rotation.

Email App. While not perfect it does offer you the ability to send FULL size photos. Other cool features include the ability to send attachments. Not only can you send photos, but videos and music as well.

LOUD speaker!

Even though WebOS is in it's infancy stages, it's still amazing!

Multitasking

I dig the bookmark panels in the browser. It reminds me of Safari on my mac. (both based on webkit)

I haven't been a sprint customer in years, however the Navigation and Sprint TV are nice touches.

The ability to create a ringtone directly from your music is sweet! No more screwing around itunes or workarounds for the iPhone.

Ability to upload photos directly to Facebook and other sites.

Call quality is excellent

I live out in the boonies and I'm pulling 1130kbps! Kudos to sprint and palm.

The ability to download updates directly on your phone is great! Tested this out yesterday with the 1.02 patch...flawless.

Camera quality kicks ****! I'm sure there are better camera phones out there, but it handily beats the iphone 3g's.

EXTREMELY fast camera. It's nice not having to delete half of my pictures due to lag.

Cons (Although more of recommendations..lol):
I'm worried about the use of so much plastic. I remember how beat to hell old iPods look after use. The iPhones/Touch with their glass screens are much more resistant to scuffs.

No predictive text.

Keyboard does suck, but I wasn't too fond of the iPhones either.

I'm going to miss Visual Voicemail

This is the first phone I've owned in years that does not have the ability to fully sync. This is a big downer. I don't want to screw with google, setup an exchange account or shell out $30 bucks for a 3rd party app.

The mini usb port is located in a poor position and I don't expect the door to last very long.

8 Gig

Google Maps app sucks.

Aw, no favorites in the youtube app?

I want the ability to zoom into videos like on the iPhone.

While the Pre does copy playlists from iTunes, it would be nice if it would keep your photo albums (in my case iphoto) organized. For example if I want to sync 4 photo albums from iPhoto, the pre will throw them all under mediasync.

Side by side, the Pre simply looks cheap compared to the iPhone. I dig the metal keys, bezel and glass screen on the iphone vs all plastic feel of the pre.

Overall I'm very happy with the Pre and will probably retire my iPhone. While some people are complaining about lack of features and apps for the pre, just remember what choices you had with the first iPhone! NO app store and NO apps...period. Both are great phones but I'm really excitied to see how the Pre and webos platform will evolve over the coming months. Just my cheap .02

Last edited by blake247; 06/07/2009 at 07:14 PM.
blake247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can't buy one yet, because I live in Sweden... But I have now read 12 reviews (!) and I absolutely LOVE everything, except following mainly minor details, taken from my glowing recommendation in my "gest Buy guide" of Vantage Technology Magazine... As you can see did I not find the hardware that bad, even if I don't like the USB port's rubber flap either...

"But there are naturally some problems - even if the innovative OS is close to magic and most of the software stuff below, easy can be fixed with extra third party programs or Palm's updates... And there are actually very few hardware problems... This is the smallest ultra advanced smartphone, but that does also mean that they could not fit any removable storage, so you can't expand the generous memory. - but it would anyhow be a nice option, even if it would make the Pre a tiny bit longer... There is no lens cover and that's rather ironic - because the slide out keyboard, could also work as a camera lens cover... And I don't like the rubber flap over the miniUSB connection, because a smart micro door (that may be of rubber and naturally open sideways) is both more easy to use and look better.

My "wish list" for software developers and especially Palm...

01) There is a lot of "elegant" waste of screen space and very BIG fonts, in almost every basic view and they should give an option... Because you need only 33% more space, for accurate finger navigation and NOT more than twice the space, for the same info... They should actually offer two alternative settings - that show two or three times as much info (at every view that now use huge fonts) and still be easy to navigate with your fingertips... Yes, the events have small text in the calender and many may love the new spacious design and huge fonts - but there should naturally be some alternative, for everyone that have a lot of info in the smartphone and don't want to scroll like crazy.... And it's especially very easy to miss vital info, if you can't see it directly - type in Tasks and Contacts... So I sincerely hope it soon will be possible to "tighten" up all the new empty space between text lines and at least select smaller fonts (naturally together with less space around the letters) in the settings... And the absolute best would be if you can select that separately for the tasks, contacts, email, calendar and messaging... And then choose between five sizes, with the current as 4 and "modern" or roman fonts... Because if some tightening NOT is possible, will the the bigger screen only be useful for web browsing and that would be very very sad... Yes, you can now only see HALF the info in Tasks (without scrolling or missing vital stuff) even if the screen is much bigger, than I can see directly in my "old" Palm Treo 680 and that vital missing option, would make Palm Pre practically useless for me!!

02) In the calendar, should you also be able to remove that "empty time holder" completely, to free even more space for real calender info!!

03) The included Task application seems to be worthless, because of three big usability limitations - you can't see if there is an "extra note page" connected to the task, it don't show the priority and you can now only select 3 priority levels (just as in Windows mobile and Symbian, it was 5 levels before) even if it have both alarm and due date functions (!) maybe for people who hate (??) to use the fine calender... The only reason for that, would be if these post ALSO was shown in the calender!

04) The "universal" search don't search in Emails, the Calendar, Tasks* or any documents and that is very strange - it should at least be a two step search, with a "Search deeper in Pre" option, before Pre offer you to search in Google... Or even get a finer possibility, to select where the Pre normally should search... *But you can search Task, if you are inside.

05) And I also want the possibility to change the boring / plain ugly "modern" light grey and baby blue colours of the OS to something I actually like.

06) Some part of the ultra smart "Synergy" integration give you also trouble, because if you include your Facebook account will everyone you "know" there (you can't just select a few) be saved as contacts and that may result in ton's of contacts, you don't want in your smartphone - but it will probably come some extra program that "filter" that later and the other new "Synergy" contacts functionality, work like magic.

07) Then does copy & paste not work in web pages or any type of messages you get, but that should be very easy to fix.

08) There is no multiple email management, so you have to delete or move each email separately and that should naturally be fixed... Even if you (maybe) can do that in Google email or outlook, instead?!

09) You could use Pre as a modem for a notebook, but Sprint did stop that...

10) There isn't any "scroll bar" that show where you are, not even as an option and it should be a slim transparent indicator, that also show how big the actual view is of the total page.

11) You can't change how many "message lines" you can see in the email preview.

12) Then might the ring signal be too quiet, but only according to 1 of 9 reviewers and another one say it's loud enough...

13) The phone work very fast, but there is a delay when you open new programs and no "hourglass" so you might sometimes wonder if something happen, the first times you open a heavy program... But I don't know if that really need a fix or just some getting use to?!

14) And then do I also want the magnificent "floating event" functionality (at least in a third party application) that I now have in DateBk6 so you can show vital events that should be done today, in the calender and get them automatically moved to next day, every new day.

15) The pretty "Memo" application is pointless (just as before) when you anyhow have Task and Calender... And it is not possible to sync, so what you really need is a good plain text editor - that is easy to back up and open from your notebook, rock solid, ultra fast, has smart search & replace and handle minimum 144 huge text documents, in 12 folders... Including at least txt, html and hopefully some other file types... I sincerely hope that someone will make a fine text editor, because a true Word document editor IS a lot more clumsy and slower to use, in a smartphone!

16) You can't change the alert sound for texts and emails!

17) Finally is the new program launcher, rather limited... You get only three windows, without any helpful category names - like main, games, web favo, friends, settings and extra - you get only a simple I to III style indicator at bottom... But you will probably be able to buy a more advanced launcher, soon... And you can temporary put your 12 main programs (that not is on the quick bar) on the first page, web favo's plus settings on the second and everything else on the last page!

** And please Email me at - [email protected] - if YOU got any extra information about this more and less vital software problems... Type if there is a way around any of them or a fix on the way / already done!?!

Okay... Palm Pre is anyhow the finest alternative, according to over 10 reviews, with a great margin and can only become finer, with even smarter software ;-)

Last edited by vantechmag; 06/08/2009 at 04:06 PM.
vantechmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I found out today that PocketMirror is coming out with a wifi sync for the pre. Waiting for info from them when it will be released. Says coming soon. Extra cost but worth it to me to keep my outlook synced.
brybry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2009, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I got my Pre on Saturday, just loving it. I have certain things that confuse me, and mainly it is because of ignorance really. An example, if I open a contact in and read what I want and want to get back to the main contact screen, I have to toss the one card I was viewing and have to hit the contact button again. Isn't there a way to just go back? Am I missing something here?
LexPreUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2009, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ur suppose to use the gesture area whenever you need to go back...
I love the phone it blows my touch pro and iphone 3g out the water.
2 things I don't like is my aim contacts have there own spot in my contacts list, and the other is I wanted youtube videos to b inbedded in the browser
ayoo456#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2009, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Message Notification!!! It is way to quite, if you could customize it, or set it to continue to play until you take action. This is a Major problem for those of us that need to be alerted during the night.

When you bring up the launcher, it doesn't make sense to me that you can sroll left to right along with up and down to get to the differetn icons. This seem like it would be better if they were all on one plane. (just left and right or up and donw)
igotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2009, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ablity to customize the OS sounds.

Everyone I show the card swipe to close applications mention how it sounds like someone sniffing their nose. lol it's true and an annoying sounds.
Jiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2009, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

cons: not being able to add apps to universal search suggestions i.e. sprint navigation. the location of the display off is too close to vibrate on/off switch. No built in flash. Not being able to transfer files via bluetooth.

Overall the phone is great very fast.
dvigilante1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2009, 12:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

cons: not being able to add apps to universal search suggestions i.e. sprint navigation. the location of the display off is too close to vibrate on/off switch. No built in flash. Not being able to transfer files via bluetooth.

Overall the phone is great very fast.
dvigilante1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2009, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Loves:
  1. Great sound with my Koss earbuds
  2. Good sound on the speakerphone
  3. Web OS is a pretty slick user interface
  4. Multitasking...used to this coming from Win Mobile phones, but apparently not to be taken for granted vs. I-phones
  5. Smart "locking system"...don't much ****-dialing going on here

That it really for the loves. Now for the "Dislikes", we'll call them:
  1. Would have preferred center button to be a clickable trackball
  2. Really could have used expandable memory (micro sd)
  3. Stupid door on the charging port
  4. This thing is hockey puck on any smooth surface...why no rubberized back? Had to put a small rubber foot on it so it would't fall off table (like on bottom of a laptop)
  5. Can't play enough video types...won't play simple windows based "Movie" files...seems to like MP4's.
  6. Web OS internet program won't open sites I like to stream music from (Napster, Orb, Shoutcast, etc)
  7. Not enough customization to sounds
  8. Will sometimes play music through speakerphone speaker even though it's on vibrate!!
  9. Keyboard buttons are really pretty flat...was expecting something more pronounced.
  10. No service light or clock or ANYTHING in standby mode. Just looks like lifeless pebble :-/
  11. Not one game available on phone at launch! (Not counting the connect four on app store)
  12. Terrible App selection at launch
  13. No hard favorites button

That's pretty much it...don't get me wrong though, I do like the phone overall! If Apple released a version of iphone with a keyboad and multi-tasking though, I'd realllly have to think about it.
Old 06/09/2009, 01:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

I hate the calendar! I love the calendar in the Treo. I liked being able to set a color coded category to each event. In the month view I had a nice color coded calendar. i knew what was going on each day without having to open the week or day views. Also when I touched an event on the Treo calendar, the event description would appear.
The pre calendar just stinks and needs so much more work put into it.

I am thinking about returning the phone because of this feature. I felt spoiled with the Treo calendar.

Has anyone heard if there will be any upgrades to the calendar?
pleasefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2009, 10:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

love the multitasking aspect. wish the gmail part of it had an option to archive :|
dwhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2009, 10:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

the only thing i don't really love is the battery life. other than that, i'm set.
pathymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 03:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
the only thing i don't really love is the battery life. other than that, i'm set.
You know, I'm amazed at the battery life of the Iphone, and you'd think pre would want to match their device to that. shame really, but i'm sure after a few patches it will get better.
Exstatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 06:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hi I am new here, and new to Palm/Sprint. I do not have a Pre yet, they are sold out here. I was wondering if most of the software issues mentioned about is likely to be resolved.. based upon previous plam devices? Like do they usually add more things later on in the year or how is it typically done? Also i hear people saying avoid first gen. Should i wait or does that only apply to apple because its hard to imagine anything else needing to be added hardware wise.

Also why do people complain about Sprint? I never had them I've always been with Tmobile. Tmobile has been fine with me. In Pre reviews there is always comments like "even though it is Sprint" what is so bad about them?

Could people that have the Pre already please take some photos so I can see the quality? And my last question is does it have expandable memory? I can deal with it not having good apps at launch if they just plan to add more and continue to update the phone so it can have calender colors and more extras. This will be my first smart phone unless u count the last version of the Sidekick.. I have an iPod Touch 1st gen but I refuse to pay $10 for a minor software upgrade. If that's just the music player I can only imagine how they treat their iPhone customers. So are the apps for the Pre expensive? I just really want Pandora for now and I assume that is free right? Thanks.

Last edited by Caprica12; 06/10/2009 at 07:45 AM.
Caprica12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 10:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprica12 View Post
And my last question is does it have expandable memory?

.... I have an iPod Touch 1st gen but I refuse to pay $10 for a minor software upgrade. If that's just the music player I can only imagine how they treat their iPhone customers. So are the apps for the Pre expensive? I just really want Pandora for now and I assume that is free right? Thanks.
No the Pre does not have expandable memory. As for how apple treats its iPhone customers, better than its iPod Touch customers if the upgrade fee is your criteria. OS upgrades are free for the iPhone.
ADGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 04:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Am I the only person that thinks the speaker phone sucks??

to me it isn't loud enough and i dread listening to music via the speaker because it is all tweet and sounds terrible.. Maybe im just to used to the speaker on the blackberry bold(now thats a speaker phone)
Lito305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 04:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Am I the only person that thinks the speaker phone sucks??

to me it isn't loud enough and i dread listening to music via the speaker because it is all tweet and sounds terrible.. Maybe im just to used to the speaker on the blackberry bold(now thats a speaker phone)
Lito305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 08:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

I hate that my Pre isn't perfect from day one! I shouldn't have a single problem with it!! After all, it's a new phone, it should just work!!!

Seriously though, love the UI, card view, browser and Synergy.

Not crazy about the lack of local sync options, sharp edges on the keypad and cheap plastic USB cover clip.
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm loving the little things, like how the Sporting News app inserted the Red Sox schedule into my calendar.

What I am not loving is the total lack of customization options. Way too "Apple" for me. This is especially egregious in the calendar app where my only reminder options are 1 day, 1 hour and less. Why can't I choose the intervals I need?
Colonel Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0