webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Google Maps - Really??
Google Maps - Really??

Old 06/07/2009, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
yoe

I can't believe my new palm pre has such a horrible version of Google Maps! I want the GMAPS that the iPhone and Blackberry have! with Transit info, Transit directions and walking direction, what about Street view, and step by step navigation that shows your location with a cool blinking dot!

Also, it would be nice to have Favorites or to be able to just log into your google maps account and see all your custom maps there!
yoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

You know, I was wondering about this too. Street view I could MAYBE see, but not being able to save favorites or routes, or select a spot on a map to use, that's just really hard to understand. These are the basic functions of google maps, not even the newer gizmos for it. I'll never use it if I have to enter the same addresses over and over every time. My old regular phone's google maps had all of that.
wessock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

a little patience folks. the device is 1 day old, the iPhone is 2 years old
theafricannerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by dajlol77, scizzy
Old 06/07/2009, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I understand that, but these aren't advanced functions. These are the basic functions of google maps. Since even dumb phones have them, it makes me worry that there was a reason that they CHOSE not to include them.
Thanked By: klbjr
Old 06/07/2009, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

the reason is, if you've had palm over the years, 90% of the function of palm is the ease of development. the 3rd party's will make this device.
Funky Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've got the blue dot on my version. Works great. GPS locks in much faster than my old BBerry Curve.

Do you have location services enabled?
schep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was dissappointed at first because my 700p would give yo 2 nice options whenever you found a location in a search. 1. Call and 2. Add to contacts.
I hope add to contacts shows up soon. I did just notice that even though there is no "call" button, if you tap a phone number it will launch the phone app and load the number for you.
btbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2009, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schep View Post
I've got the blue dot on my version. Works great. GPS locks in much faster than my old BBerry Curve.

Do you have location services enabled?
Not talking about the Blue location dot, I'm talking about being able to select any point on the map and use it as a location for directions and such. If there is some place that doesn't necessarily have an address or you don't know what it is, this is very useful. It's especially good for things in the middle of nowhere like camping and things.
Old 06/08/2009, 03:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessock View Post
I understand that, but these aren't advanced functions. These are the basic functions of google maps. Since even dumb phones have them, it makes me worry that there was a reason that they CHOSE not to include them.
There aren't advanced functions? I don't remember them on first versions of Google Maps.

I think you all are thinking about WebOS as a old OS. Just wait a few months, please.

Note when Apple brought MMS to iPhone (I think it haven't happened today). We will not have to wait two years, I'm sure.
deCorvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2009, 05:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

hey guys, dont forget you have telenav now also. i know it does not fix all your problems but it is an alternative to some of your complaints
scoobdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2009, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
There aren't advanced functions? I don't remember them on first versions of Google Maps.

I think you all are thinking about WebOS as a old OS. Just wait a few months, please.

Note when Apple brought MMS to iPhone (I think it haven't happened today). We will not have to wait two years, I'm sure.
Haha, I'm pretty sure we're all clear on how old the WebOS is. The ability to save an address to your favorites isn't a technical feat that would hold the application up. That isn't the point. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's ok to skip the basic things that have been around for years. Lets say if Palm was a car maker, and their new cool looking car model was steam powered and only turned left, but no turning right, etc. Sure they may or may not improve the design to include a gas engine and right turning in the future even though all of the other cars have been able to turn right for decades. If they fix the design a simple trip to the dealer will fix it, and you can always turn left a bunch of times to get where you need to, so why be upset? Wouldn't you be a little upset? Now I'm personally not MAD about it like some people. I for the most part love the phone. But it definitely has some huge missing basics in certain areas that they should have known better, or at least learned from Apples screw ups. But it's dumb to compare it to Apple anyway since they are exactly what you don't want to compare it to, they also have lacked basic features that should have been there since the start.
Thanked by ADGrant, klbjr
Old 06/08/2009, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoe View Post
I can't believe my new palm pre has such a horrible version of Google Maps! I want the GMAPS that the iPhone and Blackberry have! with Transit info, Transit directions and walking direction, what about Street view, and step by step navigation that shows your location with a cool blinking dot!

Also, it would be nice to have Favorites or to be able to just log into your google maps account and see all your custom maps there!

You cant download another version of google maps?
VKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2009, 04:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just found a workaround for the Google maps + contact function we Palm OS folks liked and used. (In google maps, you could search for a business, ie., Best Buy and then you could add that contact to your contact list, very handy). The Pre's Google maps does not allow this, much to my dismay, but if you have the 'Where' app installed, here's how you do it. Inside Where, tap on 'Yelp', enter the business name in the search field and it will present a list of entries for your review, click the most appropriate and you'll get all the details for that item. On the bottom right of the screen, you'll see two icons, one for google maps and the other for 'Add to Contacts'. Click the add icon and it adds it, lickedy split.
sevenjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 10:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

That workaround works just fine, but Google Maps really needs to have those relatively standard features put into the WebOS version. It would seem that they could be added pretty quickly. Things like Favorites, Map a Contact (from within gmaps), Search Nearby, etc...

I know we're still young, but google has the manpower to crank these things out in approximately 4 heartbeats.
OSU0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 10:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Two words.... SPRINT NAVIGATION!
Rich Rasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 12:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoe View Post
Sorry can you confirm this? There is no public transit view for directions on the Pre right now? (I'm still trying to decide whether to get one or wait).
Infomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

There is no public transit directions on the Pre. I went to check it out the other night and was seriously disappointed. I rely heavily on public transit and this is close to a dealbreaker for me (sad, but true).

I know that the Google Maps app for iPhone didn't have public transit originally, but shouldn't it be a *basic* thing now??
daft_davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

you guys are all whiny female dogs....seriously. All of you keep saying...the iphone has it, the iphone has it! guess what, the iphone still doesnt have multitasking, copy and paste or mms....reguardless of what 3.0 gives them QUIT THINKING WE SHOULD HAVE EVERYTHING THEY HAVE.

if you dont want the phone dont get it....jesus
www.runningwithscissors.com
www.twitter.com/mikejaret
mikejaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by dajlol77, jp22382, motox502
Old 06/10/2009, 07:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Having gone through the Palm development process before (for the Palm 7), I can tell you that they take reliability of 3rd party apps VERY seriously. That means that any core app on the phone is going to get some serious testing done to it.

There were less than six months between the announcement of the phone and the release date. That's six months to develop all the applications and test the heck out of them before going out the door.

I'm sure that there were many cases where "basic" features were cut simply because there wasn't sufficient time to port them over, then verify that they were all working correctly.

The sad part is thinking about all the additional stuff that could have been dropped in if they weren't QAing the NASCAR app.
jsabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 09:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
you guys are all whiny female dogs....seriously. All of you keep saying...the iphone has it, the iphone has it! guess what, the iphone still doesnt have multitasking, copy and paste or mms....reguardless of what 3.0 gives them QUIT THINKING WE SHOULD HAVE EVERYTHING THEY HAVE.

if you dont want the phone dont get it....jesus
Fanboy.

We don't want everything the iPhone has, but when the Google code-base includes all these features on other platforms, there's not much good reason to not have the same features on Web OS. Palm / Google had to make a concious decision to remove features.

And it's not just maps. Pretty much every single app that comes on the Pre is lacking in capabilities compared to the same or similar apps on other available smartphones.

People keep excusing this as a 1.0 phone, but my feeling is that this isn't even a 1.0. It's really more of a beta, lacking in functionality that's pretty basic in the Smartphone category. In fact, it's missing a lot of functionality that's pretty basic in the feature phone category.
Thanked By: klbjr

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0