webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Google Maps - Really??
Google Maps - Really??

Old 06/10/2009, 09:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

The Pre version is pretty much the same as the latest WM version, BTW.
Old 06/10/2009, 10:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'm happy with the pre's version of google maps. I never really used street view anyway.
ha-me3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 09:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
you guys are all whiny female dogs....seriously. All of you keep saying...the iphone has it, the iphone has it! guess what, the iphone still doesnt have multitasking, copy and paste or mms....reguardless of what 3.0 gives them QUIT THINKING WE SHOULD HAVE EVERYTHING THEY HAVE.

if you dont want the phone dont get it....jesus
Defensive much?

I don't have this phone, and I'm deciding about making the purchase so I'm asking for information on features like this. How does that make me a "female dog" for gathering product information so I can make an informed purchase?

I'm still pretty positive on this phone, and I am generally liking what I'm hearing and seeing, but at least looking at this forum, the community isn't very helpful.
Infomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 11:36 AM   #24 (permalink)

For all flaming about not found features:

On WebOS: It's an 1.0 version, programmed from scratch, by a near moribund company with limited resources and limited time to get it done. They have had to make a compromise between functionality and time / resources. They have done the fundamental work on the most relevant and important features, delaying the less important ones until software and bugfix upgrades (check the alarm clock app: it wasn't on the 1.0.1 version of WebOS)

And, (maybe more relevant on this post) if Google Maps doesn't have an specific feature, Hell, tell it to Google, don't blame Palm about it!!!! I'll tell you a secret: Google has forums to do this.

Google makes Google Maps, not Palm!!! The version they have made public for the initial release is it, and I suppose they will improve it, but it doesn't depends on Palm.
deCorvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 06:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

All I need is are public transit directions, which I'd bet somebody is working on right now...
Baryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 08:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rasp View Post
Two words.... SPRINT NAVIGATION!
That's exactly what I was thinking. I haven't used GoogleMaps or Sprint Nav much yet, but now that I'm starting to figure out Sprint Nav, i'm really impressed and I haven't even touched google maps since! I'm sure its just a matter of time before all the kinks are worked out and features added in.
schnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:05 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rasp View Post
Two words.... SPRINT NAVIGATION!
,,,true!
kineticvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2009, 12:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

I want Latitude. Now that my wife took my Vogue, I can see where she's at on her home-bound commute but not vice-versa. She needs to know when to have dinner ready!! haha =)
djwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2009, 04:37 PM   #29 (permalink)

Whats really silly are people saying "they must've not included it on purposes because of "insert weakness of phone"...yet the phone has a full blown navigation application.

Google just had to give them a version early on most likely....Google is also great at updating their software...AND ...they have always expressed how much they like WebOS and that they can push out updates to the app without the end user having to have to download something.
DougB541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2009, 11:20 AM   #30 (permalink)

Meyer:

You sound like you owned an iPhone at some point. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't. I did own the iPhone. Original and 3G. It's all about give and take. I gained a great phone with great features quite frankly I was sold on the original iPhone when I saw it had a full blown browser. Being an Info Tech professional that was a tool I really could make use of.

My point? Yes, you do have to excuse the 1.0 version of phones. Especially when the OS was built from the ground up. For everything you get, you have to give something up. At least temporarily. At least these phones can be updated rather easily. Can you remember using an old WinMo phone? Major difference. I do agree that it's silly for some apps to lack functionality that we know is there but we also don't know what programming changes are required to make certain functions work with WebOS vs Apple iPhone, vs WinMo, vs Symbian, vs etc...

I love street view it was great when I was going to Vegas, I got to see a sneak peak of the area we were staying in making sure the hookers were close enough but not too close (bad joke). But I can live without that since I gained multitasking and real picture mail.

Everyone keeps comparing iPhone but look how long it took iPhone just to get MMS.

What I would rather see is someone take ALLLLLLL the loved features and pack them into one sexy phone.

I want a 3.8 in touch screen like the HTC Touch HD.
Full web browser w/flash
Multitasking
Multi-gesture
Thin form factor (like the Toshiba TG01) with or without full keyboard
MMS
Copy and Paste
fast phone (no lagging)
etc etc

We can dream can't we.
derrickonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: klbjr
Old 06/24/2009, 12:47 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoe View Post
I can't believe my new palm pre has such a horrible version of Google Maps! I want the GMAPS that the iPhone and Blackberry have! with Transit info, Transit directions and walking direction, what about Street view, and step by step navigation that shows your location with a cool blinking dot!

Also, it would be nice to have Favorites or to be able to just log into your google maps account and see all your custom maps there!
Sure, but these things will come. The iPhone didn't have street view on day one and you didn't see anyone crapping all over that. And also.....YOUR PHONE HAS GOOGLE MAPS ON IT. I mean, come on, how freaking cool is that!?

If this Gmaps issues made you so upset why did you decided to buy a Pre? Not buying one would have avoided all this stress it is causing you :-)
ryleyinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 07:04 PM   #32 (permalink)

I can't wait till google puts out its software for the pre, especially google voice. And you know they're going to do it too!
trixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 10:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessock View Post
I understand that, but these aren't advanced functions. These are the basic functions of google maps. Since even dumb phones have them, it makes me worry that there was a reason that they CHOSE not to include them.
Clearly you know a lot about programming. Usually programmers can just eat a lot of beans and fart out an app with every last feature you want, so maybe Google campus has a shortage of beans?

Seriously, the age of your dumbphone is not the same as the age of its operating system. Remember palm os is less than a month old and any other mobile OS out there has had a lot of time to get improvements. WebOS is off to an incredible start.
sam1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 01:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

I think Sprint Navigation is pretty awesome. To me, it makes having Google maps redundant.
klt0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 02:01 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoe View Post
I can't believe my new palm pre has such a horrible version of Google Maps! I want the GMAPS that the iPhone and Blackberry have! with Transit info, Transit directions and walking direction, what about Street view, and step by step navigation that shows your location with a cool blinking dot!

Also, it would be nice to have Favorites or to be able to just log into your google maps account and see all your custom maps there!
I just realized that this post was the second time you brought this up. Thanks for making another new thread about it
Old 06/26/2009, 07:59 PM   #36 (permalink)

I really just want to be able to start typing my contact's name and have it find the address. I came from the iPhone 3G but my Blackberry had the ability too so... yeah.
nowise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 11:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowise View Post
I really just want to be able to start typing my contact's name and have it find the address. I came from the iPhone 3G but my Blackberry had the ability too so... yeah.
I have this ability in my Pre....you must as well I would think. From universal search start typing your friends name, select them and then click the address and Google maps will open and show you what your looking for.
Thanked By: Sun Smith
Old 06/30/2009, 09:05 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
Fanboy.

We don't want everything the iPhone has, but when the Google code-base includes all these features on other platforms, there's not much good reason to not have the same features on Web OS. Palm / Google had to make a concious decision to remove features.

And it's not just maps. Pretty much every single app that comes on the Pre is lacking in capabilities compared to the same or similar apps on other available smartphones.

People keep excusing this as a 1.0 phone, but my feeling is that this isn't even a 1.0. It's really more of a beta, lacking in functionality that's pretty basic in the Smartphone category. In fact, it's missing a lot of functionality that's pretty basic in the feature phone category.

EXACTYLY!!! This is the same thing I have been saying since day one. This phone is seriously lacking, not just on Web OS features but basic phone functions that have been around for years and that Palm has designed into their other phones.
This was news to me since I never had a chance to play around with the Gmaps on this thing and I got a correction for bubbatex. This is not the Google maps that is on WM. The first time I saw the new Google maps with Street view and such was on my friends G1 at launch. Well after seeing that I uninstalled the old version and downloaded the new version to my TP and now I have the GMaps with all the extras on WM.
So by someone's reasoning, either Google's or Palm's, these functions were left out of the Pre's version. You can take from that what you wish but Street view, transit directions and all are standard for Google maps on other smartphones.
klbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 10:00 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
The Pre version is pretty much the same as the latest WM version, BTW.
No, actually it's quite a bit worse than the WM version, here's why.

WM version you can do the following (which you can't do on the pre):

save favorite locations...
choose between driving directions, walking directions, transit
options to use/not use satellites
have a history of locations that were typed in (so you don't have to keep re-typing like on the pre)
there are more, I just can't remember, we need a google maps update, STAT!
bluesforsalvador is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0