Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by europa48138 View Post
    Now that we have rooted Pres, is there a file or database entry somewhere we can update to change the ringtone?
    pre dev wiki: Changes Alert/Notification Sounds

Three Methods for doing it
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    yeah, but we/I want to change it specifically for the SMS notifications. I too am shocked at how much of a lack of options we have. I mean, I expected 1.0 issues, but this stuff is basic.

and yes, we will hopefully get OTA updates, but still... how long will it take Palm? I understand the limited release now...
    i agree that should have been an option from the get go... and quite frankly i am tired of hearing excuses as to why it wasn't there to begin with
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    i agree that should have been an option from the get go... and quite frankly i am tired of hearing excuses as to why it wasn't there to begin with
    I agree also. Its not fun paying full price for a brand new device which when you bring it home, find out that its rather barebones. A lot of the options and features don't work yet, or are not included.

I'm really hoping Palm doesn't try to make money from us in this manner, and then introduce a new, "updated" version boasting basic features which should have been there in the first place to make us pay even more to upgrade the actual hardware just to attain (ie, iPhone 3GS).

The iPhone, boasting the features that it does have, is lacking in basics like copy and paste, video camera, etc, and introduces a new model including these when they could have been included as a software upgrade. Phones from several years ago had these basics. My old Treo 755p had a LOT of what people are asking for on these forums...I'm wondering sometimes why I upgraded. I gained some but lost some also. Usually, upgrades mean you retain all what you had previously and gain new features.
    I get emails, phone calls, and test alerts for work. The text alerts are email sent to sms from servers with critical issues. so a single non repeating beep is horrible.

I didn't even think to check this before buying the phone, as EVERY OTHER DEVICE ON THE PLANET, lets you change basic ringer types, styles, individual volume levels.. ect.. it's so basic it's expected. It's like buying a brand new car, but finding no horn or turn signals. I don't want an APP, i want it in 1.0.4.

GET IT NOW PALM. i've been using your devices for ages, and i love the pre, but it is missing so very very basic features. Get them now.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Having switched from WinMo, I really was spoiled with the little things that were already in custom ROM. Not being able to forward and email or copy the text within a message, very frustrating. I know in time this will be taken care of but it should have been done from the get go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    I get emails, phone calls, and test alerts for work. The text alerts are email sent to sms from servers with critical issues. so a single non repeating beep is horrible.
    My practice has similar needs in our chosen business phone. We receive email messages via SMS as well as send texts to each other that are both time sensitive and usually require a reply within 10 minutes max. The Pre is also unable to reply to those emails sent via SMS, another mandatory capability for my group. Until those two issues are addressed, we can't consider the Pre for our next device.
    USR Pilot 5000->3Com PalmPilot Pro->Palm IIIx->Palm 515->Palm TT3->Treo 700p->HTC Touch Pro->Palm Pre->HTC Evo
    if you want to set a different tone for your sms texts tap the messaging icon. Go to the messaging tab in the top left corner and tap it. Go to preferences and accounts. Where it says ringtone, tap sound. It'll pull up 3 options. Choose ringtone. It will allow you to choose a ringtone for incoming sms texts. Theonly downfall is that they only last about 10 seconds.
    If you d/l the preware patch called "SMS tone per Contact", you can change the tone to anything you want. If you dont have any tones. Register with Myxer.com (free) and you can create all of the tone you want! Please hit the thanks button if this helps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12