Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    I have this one crappy contact that everytime I try to delete, i get this message:"GTalk profiles can not be deleted" I have already deleted this contact in my gmail contacts and synced the phone with gmail. The contact no loger shows up online, but i can't get rid of it off my phone. any help?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    I have this one crappy contact that everytime I try to delete, i get this message:"GTalk profiles can not be deleted" I have already deleted this contact in my gmail contacts and synced the phone with gmail. The contact no loger shows up online, but i can't get rid of it off my phone. any help?
    I have the same issue. Any ideas?
  3. #3  
    Go to messaging and sign out of gtalk then log back in.

    That should update that name you can't delete.

    You have to remember that when syncing gmail contacts, you are syncing CONTACTS in your gmail not your buddy list (unless of course they are in your contacts).

    The contacts you can't delete show up when you sign into gtalk IM, which then appear in your contacts.

    So basically there's two places where you are signed into google. Your contacts and IM and they are syncing two different lists. Went through the same thing earlier today trying to figure it out.

    To sign out, click on your status and a menu should pop up.
  4. wessock's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #4  
    Hmm, I had the same problem and got them to go away temporarily by doing what you said. I've deleted the contacts from my gmail account usuing my laptop, but the contacts keep coming back into my Pre's contact list. Must be a gmail problem I assume, but it's really annoying.
  5. #5  
    I tried doing those steps, Eunox, and the sucker still won't delete. Ugh.
  6. #6  
    I had the same problem, checked everything on gmail etc...

    *MY FIX for a stuck contact*
    Go into:
    Messaging
    Preferences & Accounts

    If you have google talk configured REMOVE that account, wait about 2 mins then go check your contacts. It should be gone.
    Now go back and add your google talk account.

    Hope this helps you out.

    Quote Originally Posted by aceattorney View Post
    I tried doing those steps, Eunox, and the sucker still won't delete. Ugh.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by trinitron79 View Post
    I had the same problem, checked everything on gmail etc...

    *MY FIX for a stuck contact*
    Go into:
    Messaging
    Preferences & Accounts

    If you have google talk configured REMOVE that account, wait about 2 mins then go check your contacts. It should be gone.
    Now go back and add your google talk account.

    Hope this helps you out.
    It won't let me remove the google talk account for some reason. The option to remove is grayed out.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by aceattorney View Post
    It won't let me remove the google talk account for some reason. The option to remove is grayed out.
    This is likely because you are signed into gtalk.

    Go to messaging and where it says your status (most likely it says available), click the little green circle ball next to it and choose offline. This will sign you out. You then should be able to remove the account.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eunox View Post
    This is likely because you are signed into gtalk.

    Go to messaging and where it says your status (most likely it says available), click the little green circle ball next to it and choose offline. This will sign you out. You then should be able to remove the account.
    That did it! The contact is gone - I'll leave Gmail Talk out of my pre for now. Thank you!
  10. #10  
    Woot! Glad it worked.

    I added back google talk as I've cleaned up my list and everything is working great now.
  11. #11  
    Well, once I removed google talk, the contact was gone. However, after waiting several hours and adding google talk back in, the contact was back! Sigh.
  12. #12  
    Well, I am also implement to your ideas, I can't deleted, so any more ideas.........
  13. #13  
    same issue here. think it would be any help reaching out to palm?
  14. #14  
    okay this is driving me nuts... I did what was instructed above, and it was successful. THANKS!! now here's the bummer, i want to sign back into gtalk... but if i do... that contact shows up. he's not one of my gmail contacts... where is he coming from..?

    my guess is he was saved on my blackberry as a google talk buddy and when they transfered my contacts.... he came along...
  15. azack's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #15  
    I get the same issue as well dang this contact just wont go away

    ****update****

    K i think i got it so i signed out of gmail talk and deleted my account off the phone, then in gmail went in and deleted all my emails from this contact, readded my gmail talk account on the phone signed in sync my contacts and hes has not came back let me know if this fixes yours also hope it will
    Last edited by azack; 06/12/2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: new update
  16. #16  
    So I had the same problem as a lot of you, where no matter what I tried my GTalk friends list on my pre included people who I have deleted from my GMail contacts list. I even went so far as to delete all of the email and chats in my GMail account, and export my desired contacts, delete everyone from my contacts list, and re-import my desired contacts. No luck anywhere. So I came up with a really simple workaround that you might try if you really want to not see those persistent old GTalk contacts and are OK with changing your GTalk name.

    1) Log into your existing Gmail account (ill call this the "old" account)
    2) Invite yourself to GMail by typing your gmail address into the invite box
    3) Click the link that is emailed to your old gmail account to create a new gmail account (I went from an old GMail account of jsmith@g... to john.smith@... for instance)
    4) Log back into your old account and click on "Contacts" in the sidebar
    5) Select all of the contacts you care about and click "export"; select to generate a google format CSV file
    6) Log back into the new gmail account and click on "Contacts" again
    7) Click "Import" and select the CSV file you created; this adds all of your desired contacts to this new email account
    8) Log into GTalk using your new gmail username on your computer and select to view offline friends and all address book contacts under the view button
    9) Re-Invite the contacts you care about to your new, squeaky clean GTalk profile
    10) Under settings, and IMAP and Forwarding, set your new gmail address to forward any emails your GTalk buddies might inadvertently send to this new address to your old one
    11) Add your new GTalk profile to your Pre using the messaging app

    While this might be less than desirable since you have to change your GTalk name, it definitely results in a clean GTalk profile, and since you exported the contacts from the GMail account already synced to your Pre, all the profiles should automatically "synergize" in your contacts without any discrepancies.

    So like I said, its a workaround, not a solution, but it eased my contact list OCD a bit anyways.
  17. arcane's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #17  
    EDIT:

    Thanks to @Eunox for the fix below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eunox View Post
    Go to messaging and sign out of gtalk then log back in.

    That should update that name you can't delete.

    You have to remember that when syncing gmail contacts, you are syncing CONTACTS in your gmail not your buddy list (unless of course they are in your contacts).

    The contacts you can't delete show up when you sign into gtalk IM, which then appear in your contacts.

    So basically there's two places where you are signed into google. Your contacts and IM and they are syncing two different lists. Went through the same thing earlier today trying to figure it out.

    To sign out, click on your status and a menu should pop up.


    I had this problem, too. I found (somewhere on the web, can't remember where, but can't take credit for it) that if you are signed into chat on the web, aka inside your Gmail account, and perhaps even in desktop apps like pidgin, aim and adium, the contact you're trying to delete will respawn when you go back into your Pre.

    I signed all my gmail accounts out of the chat box at gmail.com, and the respawning contact (athena from notify.me, which I haven't even used in ages), was finally deleted.

    Let me know if you have any luck.
    Last edited by arcane; 06/16/2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Need to credit Eunox with the fix that worked for me. Still works, too - contact has yet to respawn.
  18. #18  
    I am having accounts show up with the same name on them as I have in my normal contacts becase theyt are google talk accounts - but there is no contact in google talk that has that name

    W-T-F! where is this coming from


    W-T-F - I have to put a - between the W T F or it isnt allowed - f*cking stupid as hell

Posting Permissions