webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Reviewers Biggest Complaint: Lack of Apps in the App Store?
Reviewers Biggest Complaint: Lack of Apps in the App Store?

Old 06/04/2009, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

I've read a few of the reviews- including Mossberg- and it seems the petty gripe they're able to come up with for why the Pre might not be that great is the app store.

What exactly did the iPhone launch with as far as an app store? They didn't have one!

After having read the reviews, I am becoming more comfortable with the idea of getting one.
frank-barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 06:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

As for me the main gripe I am noticing is the battery amongst others.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well Palm hasn't exactly been forth coming with the SDK information, the current one that is out there is fairly buggy and incomplete and we still don't know what level of access developers will have to the phone's systems. Not to mention very few developers even have access to it.

So Palm has no one but itself to blame for a lack of apps at release. Also the Iphone launched two years ago, if you want to compare the two at launch buy a time machine and bring a pre back in time and compare them. Otherwise expect people to compare the two as they are today.

If Palm had released a mostly functional SDK for general development they wouldn't have this problem. Decision = consequence.

They have been far to tight lipped about the whole SDK and third party development.

Last edited by Aridon; 06/04/2009 at 06:52 AM.
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
As for me the main gripe I am noticing is the battery amongst others.
That's the one I'm seeing the most too. It's a killer for those who need all-day-long, uninterrupted power.
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 06:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
That's the one I'm seeing the most too. It's a killer for those who need all-day-long, uninterrupted power.
I'll agree with this- but, for those that have a centro - nothing new, really.

Is it a hassle to either have it plugged in during the day or to carry a spare to swap out? Maybe for some.

But I do appreciate the small form factor - that is what drove me nuts with the treo was having to put a brick up to my face to talk.
Old 06/04/2009, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
Well Palm hasn't exactly been forth coming with the SDK information, the current one that is out there is fairly buggy and incomplete and we still don't know what level of access developers will have to the phone's systems. Not to mention very few developers even have access to it.

So Palm has no one but itself to blame for a lack of apps at release. Also the Iphone launched two years ago, if you want to compare the two at launch but a time machine and bring a pre back in time and compare them. Otherwise expect people to compare the two as they are today.

If Palm had released a mostly functional SDK for general development they wouldn't have this problem. Decision = consequence.

They have been far to tight lipped about the whole SDK and third party development.
If Palm had waited for that, we wouldn't have had the phone until when, maybe July/August/September?

And is it fair to criticize Palm for this, when Apple's track record is less than stellar vis a vis third party developers?
Old 06/04/2009, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
I'll agree with this- but, for those that have a centro - nothing new, really.
But for those of us who carry BBs, iPhones, Moto Qs, or Omnias, as power-hungry as they can be, it's a bit of a letdown.

Quote:
Is it a hassle to either have it plugged in during the day or to carry a spare to swap out? Maybe for some.
Definitely for some. That's why I used the phrase "all-day-long, uninterrupted" instead of "hanging-off-a-charger, interrupted by battery swaps."

Quote:
But I do appreciate the small form factor - that is what drove me nuts with the treo was having to put a brick up to my face to talk.
There are plenty of other good things to say about this phone besides its size, but I thought this was a thread about complaints.
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Don't worry guys as far as the battery is concerned battery in reviews usually doesn't last to long because people tend to use it the whole time, when you get your phone you will be excited for a while and then you will go back to using it regularly and battery will be fine.
dkotoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 07:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

i think its batt perform same as centro. if you have IM on all the time and check email every 15min, it will be out by afternoon.

But, I have two batts for my centro, so I will have totally 3 batts.

I think we you talk about app store, some thoughts should be given to the palm classic apps. numerous of them.
clevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: frank-barnett
Old 06/04/2009, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
But for those of us who carry BBs, iPhones, Moto Qs, or Omnias, as power-hungry as they can be, it's a bit of a letdown.

Definitely for some. That's why I used the phrase "all-day-long, uninterrupted" instead of "hanging-off-a-charger, interrupted by battery swaps."

There are plenty of other good things to say about this phone besides its size, but I thought this was a thread about complaints.
The Iphones battery is no champion itself.
prebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 07:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

I absolutely agree- for anyone coming from a bb - definitely battery life will be an issue. I have a BB Curve from work - and I think I can probably get by on the battery for like a week - unreal.

At the end of the day - there is no perfect phone - they all have trade offs. I have a centro now - and its on again, off again love hate with it - and battery and poor phone performance are issues. And I might just go to to the Storm 2 when that comes out.
Old 06/04/2009, 07:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

I thought it was a bit unfair to dwell so much on the lack of apps at launch... as pointed out above, the first iPhone launched only with what was provided, and we had to suffer through months of "web apps" or hacky jailbroken apps in an attempt to placate us before getting true 3rd party applications.

But, I guess the bar has been raised now with the success of the iPhone's App Store. Blackberry's new App World also took it on the chin when it debuted, and Nokia is facing the same criticism with Ovi. Especially given Palm's extensive catalog of 3rd-party apps over the years, it is a pretty glaring omission...
JRBTempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 08:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

On battery, turn off wifi, bluetooth when not in use. Turn off google/aim connection. Should be mo betta.

On apps, at least we have the PalmOS emulator but it does suck that Palm has no public SDK on launch. Any word on cost of emulator?
Old 06/04/2009, 08:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

As it comes to apps, it's a new phone, with a new OS. It will take a little time to get a lot of apps. That comes with the territory when it comes to being an early adopter.
neilept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 08:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBTempe View Post
I thought it was a bit unfair to dwell so much on the lack of apps at launch... as pointed out above, the first iPhone launched only with what was provided, and we had to suffer through months of "web apps" or hacky jailbroken apps in an attempt to placate us before getting true 3rd party applications.

But, I guess the bar has been raised now with the success of the iPhone's App Store. Blackberry's new App World also took it on the chin when it debuted, and Nokia is facing the same criticism with Ovi. Especially given Palm's extensive catalog of 3rd-party apps over the years, it is a pretty glaring omission...
It is a bit unfair but at the same time, the Pre is going against the incumbent. Like it or not, it's a valid comparison. The new kid always has to prove his meddle.
sheltem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 08:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I've read a few of the reviews- including Mossberg- and it seems the petty gripe they're able to come up with for why the Pre might not be that great is the app store.

What exactly did the iPhone launch with as far as an app store? They didn't have one!

After having read the reviews, I am becoming more comfortable with the idea of getting one.
The problem with this theory is that Palm needs to compete with the existing iPhone with thousands of apps, not the launch iPhone.

iPhone (and other) users will need to decide if they can live without the apps they use on their current devices on the promise that one day they might come out on the Pre. I think its a fair concern.
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 08:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

It seems that reviewers had access to a very limited group of apps.

We've seen mention of at least 80 apps. Many are probably not in the App Store yet. They are probably being added daily.

Should be a much larger group available by Saturday.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0