Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    What makes you think this is not a web shortcut?
    There is no back button on the bottom left of the screen which the browser displays at all time i think
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    That can't be right:
    You can create an icon that points to a website. But Im not so sure you can customize the appearance like that.
  3. Duo
    Duo is offline
    Duo's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    #23  
    Could those of you that believe there is a Facebook app included (not just Synergy) and that Walt Mossberg just missed it, please point me to a review (published since the embargo ended) that covers it.

    No app would be another strike against this phone (for me).

    Thanks
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    Nope, that is definitely a dedicated app. Now if it is available at launch is another question?!?!??
    It's a dedicated app but it's exactly the same thing as iphone.facebook.com. Pretty lame for a dedicated app. I think that's why he says there's no Facebook app.

    Just check out this pic from the iPhone's Safari web browser:
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/04/2009 at 10:25 AM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  5. #25  
    It could be that the facebook "app" is a free download from the app store, and not natively on the device (hence why it was missed).
  6. #26  
    As of this posting... it DEF isn't in the App Catalog. Walt is right... but breathe everyone, the PHONE actually isn't out. Wait, let me go check on that.......... yup, not yet.

    Relax.
  7. Duo
    Duo is offline
    Duo's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    It's a dedicated app but it's exactly the same thing as iphone.facebook.com. Pretty lame for a dedicated app. I think that's why he says there's no Facebook app.

    Just check out this pic from the iPhone's Safari web browser:

    It could be. However it seems that iphone.facebook.com currently displays the same information as x.facebook.com, which is where I believe the Microsoft FB app gets it’s information from and it is an app.


    Quote Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
    It could be that the facebook "app" is a free download from the app store, and not natively on the device (hence why it was missed).

    Perhaps but some reviewers covered the apps currently available in the App Store. Maybe it will be added before launch or perhaps the web page is it.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    It could be. However it seems that iphone.facebook.com currently displays the same information as x.facebook.com, which is where I believe the Microsoft FB app gets it’s information from and it is an app.
    Whether it's from iPhone.facebook.com or x.facebook.com, both are just another mobile version of the site. They aren't apps like on the iPhone/iPod Touch or Blackberry.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  9. Duo
    Duo is offline
    Duo's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Whether it's from iPhone.facebook.com or x.facebook.com, both are just another mobile version of the site. They aren't apps like on the iPhone/iPod Touch or Blackberry.

    The Microsoft app IS an application. However they all need a source, whether it is an API or a web page. As I said I believe that the Microsoft app uses x.facebook.com but then again, I could be wrong.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Whether it's from iPhone.facebook.com or x.facebook.com, both are just another mobile version of the site. They aren't apps like on the iPhone/iPod Touch or Blackberry.
    I would rather use M.facebook.com than the Blackberry app. It might as well not exist, it is horrible.
  11. #31  
    Maybe Deiter can answer this question? I don't remember it mentioned explicitly in his review one way or the other... Edit: Oops, Darth Pooh already answered this. Thanks, Darth! Er, or Pooh. Whichever you prefer given your crazy schizophrenic nick.

    Of course, even if it's not on the Pre right now, nothing says it won't be available at launch or soon after. Have we seen every announced launch partner in the App Catalog yet? For example, I know that EA was announced--have we seen anything from them?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    The Microsoft app IS an application. However they all need a source, whether it is an API or a web page. As I said I believe that the Microsoft app uses x.facebook.com but then again, I could be wrong.
    Okay I just checked out a video of the Microsoft Facebook app and yes that one is an app. But you can't compare that to what's been seen on the Pre. It's clearly the WebKit iPhone/iPod Touch Safari mobile version. I've posted this up in another Facebook thread:

    Go to around 0:25


    They even say it's based on the WebKit version at 0:50.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I would rather use M.facebook.com than the Blackberry app. It might as well not exist, it is horrible.
    I agree. m.facebook.com is closer to the regular site than all these other apps.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/04/2009 at 11:33 AM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  13. #33  
    Are we talking about the same Walt who in the Pre Review said you can have as many cards open as you want until you run out of memory, which is 8GB?!?

    I'm sure he meant 256MB but it's just an example of how Walt isn't always right.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Of course, even if it's not on the Pre right now, nothing says it won't be available at launch or soon after. Have we seen every announced launch partner in the App Catalog yet? For example, I know that EA was announced--have we seen anything from them?
    Yes, the Connect4 demo game is an EA product.
  15. #35  
    the Engadget review clearly shows a facebook app.
  16. #36  
    I have not seen one... please link.

    It's NOT on there yet. I think you need to make sure it isn't the iphone/mobile webkit version you didn't see.
  17. #37  
    I stand corrected. The facebook that i saw was a speed dial in the web browser
  18. Duo
    Duo is offline
    Duo's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Okay I just checked out a video of the Microsoft Facebook app and yes that one is an app. But you can't compare that to what's been seen on the Pre. It's clearly the WebKit iPhone/iPod Touch Safari mobile version. I've posted this up in another Facebook thread:

    Go to around 0:25


    They even say it's based on the WebKit version at 0:50.

    Hmmm, yes you’re right. The reporter comments that what they are seeing on the screen looks like the “WebKit version” of Facebook and the Palm employee agrees, which then leads the reporter to ask if the browser is based on WebKit with is confirmed.

    It looks like the Facebook “App” is just the Facebook webpage that has been optimised for WebKit based browsers. The same thing should also be available on Apple devices, Android phones or Symbian S60 phones.

    It doesn’t look like there ever was an app. Rather disappointing, especially since they wheeled out the COO of Facebook at the January launch event to talk about... oh, wait, she just talked about how much her company had grown. Never mind.


    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I agree. m.facebook.com is closer to the regular site than all these other apps.

    I use m.facebook.com a lot and I sometimes also use the Microsoft app and that app isn’t good enough.

    The webpage is pretty good and I was hoping for an application that pretty much replicated the information on the mobile “m” site (including comments, likes, etc) with the ability to send notifications to the phone and chat functionality - i.e. a fully featured application running via APIs to reduce the data downloaded (I travel a lot).
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    The webpage is pretty good and I was hoping for an application that pretty much replicated the information on the mobile “m” site (including comments, likes, etc) with the ability to send notifications to the phone and chat functionality - i.e. a fully featured application running via APIs to reduce the data downloaded (I travel a lot).
    Yeah that's what I'm hoping for too. I would bet that chat would be added to the instant messaging accounts. I would love immediate Facebook notifications in an app but in the mean time Push Email will have to do.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions