webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Walt says no Facebook app???
Walt says no Facebook app???

Old 06/04/2009, 09:49 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
What makes you think this is not a web shortcut?
There is no back button on the bottom left of the screen which the browser displays at all time i think
pre1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 09:52 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
That can't be right:
You can create an icon that points to a website. But Im not so sure you can customize the appearance like that.
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 10:15 AM   #23 (permalink)
Duo

Could those of you that believe there is a Facebook app included (not just Synergy) and that Walt Mossberg just missed it, please point me to a review (published since the embargo ended) that covers it.

No app would be another strike against this phone (for me).

Thanks
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 10:17 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
Nope, that is definitely a dedicated app. Now if it is available at launch is another question?!?!??
It's a dedicated app but it's exactly the same thing as iphone.facebook.com. Pretty lame for a dedicated app. I think that's why he says there's no Facebook app.

Just check out this pic from the iPhone's Safari web browser:

Sprint customer since 2001

Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/04/2009 at 10:25 AM.
EeZeEpEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 10:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

It could be that the facebook "app" is a free download from the app store, and not natively on the device (hence why it was missed).
argentknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 10:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Sith Lord of the Honey Pot

As of this posting... it DEF isn't in the App Catalog. Walt is right... but breathe everyone, the PHONE actually isn't out. Wait, let me go check on that.......... yup, not yet.

Relax.
Darth Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 10:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
It's a dedicated app but it's exactly the same thing as iphone.facebook.com. Pretty lame for a dedicated app. I think that's why he says there's no Facebook app.

Just check out this pic from the iPhone's Safari web browser:

It could be. However it seems that iphone.facebook.com currently displays the same information as x.facebook.com, which is where I believe the Microsoft FB app gets it’s information from and it is an app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
It could be that the facebook "app" is a free download from the app store, and not natively on the device (hence why it was missed).

Perhaps but some reviewers covered the apps currently available in the App Store. Maybe it will be added before launch or perhaps the web page is it.
Old 06/04/2009, 10:39 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
It could be. However it seems that iphone.facebook.com currently displays the same information as x.facebook.com, which is where I believe the Microsoft FB app gets it’s information from and it is an app.
Whether it's from iPhone.facebook.com or x.facebook.com, both are just another mobile version of the site. They aren't apps like on the iPhone/iPod Touch or Blackberry.

Old 06/04/2009, 10:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
Duo

Quote:
Whether it's from iPhone.facebook.com or x.facebook.com, both are just another mobile version of the site. They aren't apps like on the iPhone/iPod Touch or Blackberry.

The Microsoft app IS an application. However they all need a source, whether it is an API or a web page. As I said I believe that the Microsoft app uses x.facebook.com but then again, I could be wrong.
Old 06/04/2009, 11:19 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I would rather use M.facebook.com than the Blackberry app. It might as well not exist, it is horrible.
JONNNathannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 11:26 AM   #31 (permalink)

Maybe Deiter can answer this question? I don't remember it mentioned explicitly in his review one way or the other... Edit: Oops, Darth Pooh already answered this. Thanks, Darth! Er, or Pooh. Whichever you prefer given your crazy schizophrenic nick.

Of course, even if it's not on the Pre right now, nothing says it won't be available at launch or soon after. Have we seen every announced launch partner in the App Catalog yet? For example, I know that EA was announced--have we seen anything from them?
Old 06/04/2009, 11:28 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
The Microsoft app IS an application. However they all need a source, whether it is an API or a web page. As I said I believe that the Microsoft app uses x.facebook.com but then again, I could be wrong.
Okay I just checked out a video of the Microsoft Facebook app and yes that one is an app. But you can't compare that to what's been seen on the Pre. It's clearly the WebKit iPhone/iPod Touch Safari mobile version. I've posted this up in another Facebook thread:

Go to around 0:25
YouTube - Palm Pre 1on1 hands on demo 2

They even say it's based on the WebKit version at 0:50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
I would rather use M.facebook.com than the Blackberry app. It might as well not exist, it is horrible.
I agree. m.facebook.com is closer to the regular site than all these other apps.

Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/04/2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06/04/2009, 12:13 PM   #33 (permalink)

Are we talking about the same Walt who in the Pre Review said you can have as many cards open as you want until you run out of memory, which is 8GB?!?

I'm sure he meant 256MB but it's just an example of how Walt isn't always right.
deesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2009, 12:16 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
Of course, even if it's not on the Pre right now, nothing says it won't be available at launch or soon after. Have we seen every announced launch partner in the App Catalog yet? For example, I know that EA was announced--have we seen anything from them?
Yes, the Connect4 demo game is an EA product.
Old 06/04/2009, 12:20 PM   #35 (permalink)

the Engadget review clearly shows a facebook app.
Old 06/04/2009, 12:25 PM   #36 (permalink)

I have not seen one... please link.

It's NOT on there yet. I think you need to make sure it isn't the iphone/mobile webkit version you didn't see.
Old 06/04/2009, 12:47 PM   #37 (permalink)

I stand corrected. The facebook that i saw was a speed dial in the web browser
Old 06/04/2009, 01:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Duo

Quote:
Okay I just checked out a video of the Microsoft Facebook app and yes that one is an app. But you can't compare that to what's been seen on the Pre. It's clearly the WebKit iPhone/iPod Touch Safari mobile version. I've posted this up in another Facebook thread:

Go to around 0:25
YouTube - Palm Pre 1on1 hands on demo 2

They even say it's based on the WebKit version at 0:50.

Hmmm, yes you’re right. The reporter comments that what they are seeing on the screen looks like the “WebKit version” of Facebook and the Palm employee agrees, which then leads the reporter to ask if the browser is based on WebKit with is confirmed.

It looks like the Facebook “App” is just the Facebook webpage that has been optimised for WebKit based browsers. The same thing should also be available on Apple devices, Android phones or Symbian S60 phones.

It doesn’t look like there ever was an app. Rather disappointing, especially since they wheeled out the COO of Facebook at the January launch event to talk about... oh, wait, she just talked about how much her company had grown. Never mind.

Quote:
I agree. m.facebook.com is closer to the regular site than all these other apps.

I use m.facebook.com a lot and I sometimes also use the Microsoft app and that app isn’t good enough.

The webpage is pretty good and I was hoping for an application that pretty much replicated the information on the mobile “m” site (including comments, likes, etc) with the ability to send notifications to the phone and chat functionality - i.e. a fully featured application running via APIs to reduce the data downloaded (I travel a lot).
Old 06/04/2009, 02:04 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
The webpage is pretty good and I was hoping for an application that pretty much replicated the information on the mobile “m” site (including comments, likes, etc) with the ability to send notifications to the phone and chat functionality - i.e. a fully featured application running via APIs to reduce the data downloaded (I travel a lot).
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for too. I would bet that chat would be added to the instant messaging accounts. I would love immediate Facebook notifications in an app but in the mean time Push Email will have to do.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0